• The intent of this Restoration Reference forum is to provide a collection of technical, accurate details to help others in their restorations. These Reference Articles can include photos, descriptions, diagrams, part numbers, concours rules, etc.

PLEASE ONLY POST VARIFIED INFORMATION. This is a technical forum and the information needs to be as accurate as possible. Please don't post things you've heard second hand or think you remember reading somewhere.

You may reply to an Article, but only if it serves to give more information or clarify a detail in that Article. These should be a presentation of fact more than a discussion. Off-topic responses will be deleted or moved.

Thanks!
  • Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Sunvisor Installation Question

stangfan

I just received a pair of TMI sunvisors to replace the not so nice ones in my 68. Is there a trick to installing the long visor arm into the steel insert inside the visor? Taking the old one off of the arm was very difficult and I thought once I had cleaned up the arm it would install into the new visor a little easier. I have it part way on and now it seems to be going no where. Should I take the arm out again and maybe put some vaseline on it to help slide it on? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

somethingspecial

I can't answer your question, but I would advise you DON'T use Vaseline. It is an oil base and when it gets hot (like during the summer) is will ooooozzzzzeee out all over your new sunvisor.

franklinair

IIRC, its a VERY tight fit to insert the rod into the visor. The tight fit is what keeps the visor in position so it won't creep down when in the up/stowed position. Its a 'dry' fit as Mike said. Just have to use caution so as not to mar the visor, and force the rod into the visor. I've found that a few well chosen swear words helps.

Neil

OP
OP
stangfan

stangfan

I can't answer your question, but I would advise you DON'T use Vaseline. It is an oil base and when it gets hot (like during the summer) is will ooooozzzzzeee out all over your new sunvisor.

Well, I was thinking more like a film of vaseline, but I get your drift...:wink:

Thanks.

OP
OP
stangfan

stangfan

Well, they are reassembled. Now I need to wait for our monsoon to finish before I can reinstall them in the car. The longer arms did NOT want to go into the metal sleeve inside the visor. What did help was putting a cotton glove on my right hand as I was pretty much pushing the arm in whilst holding the visor flat on my workbench. That triangular mounting bracket was pretty hard on the palm of my hand otherwise.