• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Do you where your seats belts in your 68 CS/HCS?

Do you wear a seatbelt in your CS/HCS?

• Total voters

BroadwayBlue

We've had a few safety threads lately and something came to mind I was curious about. That and we haven't had a good poll in awhile :smile:

In NY we have a seatbelt law ... I'm not sure if that's standard these days in all 50 states or other countries.

I'm curious to know how many of you wear your seatbelts when driving your 68 CS/HCS.

I normally wear my lap belt but I admit don't normally where the shoulder belt.
I always make my nephew wear both when he is cruising with me. He gives me a hard time but I still make him do it.

Curious to get your thoughts on this. Thanks!
If you can add to your comments whether or not you wear your seatbelt in your other cars.
Personally I always wear my seatbelt in my other cars and lap only in my CS.
Thanks!

John McGilvary

Always wear the belts, and ask any passengers to do the same! Dosen't matter what car I'm driving.

John

case12

I dont have a shoulder belt in by 66 or 68. So only lap belt. In all my other cars, I wear all belts all the time.

I started this only in 2000ish when my new GT mustang made an annoying ding continously if I didnt wear the belt

I never wore one before, have been in many accidents, including 2 that total the cars without a seat belt (one head on at 45mph with a drunk driver), and I came out with not even a scratch. However, that was my youthful ignorance.

I then refused to wear a seat belt when laws were passed because I felt it was not the gov't business to tell me to wear a seat belt. My "rights" stubborness could have gotten me killed.

I am now a converted seat belt wearer, mainly based on statistics. They save lives - next time I have an accident, I dont want to be on the wrong side of the statistics.

Casey

rvrtrash

I then refused to wear a seat belt when laws were passed because I felt it was not the gov't business to tell me to wear a seat belt. My "rights" stubborness could have gotten me killed.

Casey

I feel pretty much the same way, except I always wear a belt. I think it's foolish to not wear a belt, helmet, etc. but don't like being told I have to. Does that make sense? For the poll, I wear the lap belt driving in town and put on the shoulder belt when I'm on the freeway.

Steve

nfrntau

next time I have an accident, I dont want to be on the wrong side of the statistics.

Casey

Or the wrong side of the car wondering how you got there.

My car isn't on the road so I can't answer this directly. I had a 1970.5 Falcon with the same belt arrangement and always wore the lap and never wore the shoulder belts. I am seriously looking into using a modern day shoulder belt type for my car when I get it finished.

harryz

Seat Belt Laws

I always wear all available seat belts. While I'm not a big fan of government telling me what to do, I do have a preference for living (over dying).

FYI - Hawaii has mandatory buckle-up law, too. I know it applies to front seats (both driver and passenger), can't remember if it applies to the back seat passengers, too.

Harry Z.

hcsstang

Since we are talking about seat belts. I purchased a set of seat bolts and they are all the same length. I don't know but the ones for the middle are to short. I checked my supply of bolts and came up with some longer ones but they are used and show it..

rvrtrash

I always wear all available seat belts. While I'm not a big fan of government telling me what to do, I do have a preference for living (over dying).

FYI - Hawaii has mandatory buckle-up law, too. I know it applies to front seats (both driver and passenger), can't remember if it applies to the back seat passengers, too.

Harry Z.

Hey Harry, welcome back. Long time, no see.

Steve

quicknick

I always wear my belts, but only use the lap belt in the Mustangs. I'm too lazy to pull the shoulder harness down and it's too much work to clip it back up there right. I need to start rethinking that mindset.

P

PNewitt

When, in Jan 1968, it was mandatory to include the shoulder harness belts, you can tell that they weren't designed to be user-friendly. Theading that belt across that hook thing, then stuffing in into that rubber boot thingy, at the same time meshing the Velcro, is quite a feat! Whew!! Geesch!

So--I let the shoulder belt just hang into the back seat, until I use it again.

I ALWAYS wear both belts. I like the feeling of being snug and secure--for sometimes leaning into tight curves, sudden stops, etc. Those vinyl seats would let you slide all over them if they could!! WHoa Nellie! LOL!!

I once was in a '66 Mustang GT-350 clone in San Diego (dual quads, cam, headers), and it had a full roll cage in it, and I wore a four-point harness (as passenger), and we flew through traffic on Hwy. 8 across to El Cajon.
I felt very safe....it was pretty cool. We were flying.

It would be interesting what the national traffic fatality rate would be if everyone wore four-point harnesses. Not that it's practical, but you're really strapped in!!

I also remember those simple seat belts in our '62 Falcon Wagon when I was a kid. You'd thread this (stiff) webbed belt through this huge metal buckle, and then close the buckle "top" on the belt to hold it. It worked by tension....no clips or "snap" function. Kindof a "Rube Goldberg" deal. Those same dang Falcon seats also had that "bubble" clear "dealer installed" vinyl seat covers that stuck to your legs when you wore shorts and would leave a zillion bumps on yer butt! AH! Those were the days!! :)

Paul N.
p.s. Be sure to check the condition of your old belts--webbing, over age from the sun and temperature can wear too thin to work effectively. Check out "Snake Oil" belts.

68gt390

Being retired military and the fact seat belts were mandatory to wear, I wear both when in the CS. The shoulder belt is a little uncomfortable but, it does it's job. Unfortunately my GT being an early production car only has the lap belt, no shoulder belt.

Don

tworings

I always wore both, my husband only the seat belt. We just had 3-point belts installed with the new interior (for safety reasons) but not sure I'm crazy about them (a little uncomfortable across my neck)

CALIF GIRL

I always wear both. I have seen way too many people thrown from cars during collisions.

our special

I always wore both, my husband only the seat belt. We just had 3-point belts installed with the new interior (for safety reasons) but not sure I'm crazy about them (a little uncomfortable across my neck)

Hi Lisa, are you bringing "Buttercup" to the Knott's Berry show?

I was planning on installing the 3-point seat belts that they advertise in the Mustang mag's. If this is what you have, and if you are bringing your car, it will give me an opportunity to see a set installed.

Thank you, Dave

Perkchiro

In addition to Snake-oyl, Dallas Mustang does seatbelt restorations. They re-webbed by belts and did a nice job at a reasonable price.