• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Vin # on 390 block

calspcl

I was reading past posts on matching numbers. I looked at the back of the motor and found the intake manifold runs up to the back of the block where the tranny mates up.
Are the vin numbers stamped in the block and the intake manifold covers the stamping? Or are the big blocks stamped differently than the small blocks?

Thanks

68gt390

Talked with Rick Parker, owner of Signature Auto Classics here in Columbus tonight at our mustang club meeting about location of vin #'s. He told me they can be found on the back of the block stamped either on the side or top just above were the bell housing mates to the block. He also said don't be supprised if it's not there. Many of the Ford plants didn't always stamp the blocks with the vin. I also asked if it could be under the manifold and he stated no. It's the same for all engines.
Hope this helps. I have looked at both my cars and only my GT/CS has the vin stamped into the block (both are 390 cars) and both were built at San Jose.

Don 8)

OP
OP
calspcl

calspcl

Thanks for checking into this Don. I did not see where it could be stamped on the top of the block as the intake covers any surface a stamp could be applied. I will get a mirror and check the side of the block facing the firewall.

Is that where you found the stamp on your GT/CS?

Thanks

68gt390

I found mine on the drivers side just above the bellhousing. Had to use a mirrior and could just barely make it out with the new paint on the block. They do not stand out like the casting numbers and over time will wear or get filled in with paint and grease. Good luck.

Don

PB gtcs

This is an interesting discussion. I built a AC Cobra Rep few years ago. Looked at a lot of FE blocks. None that I saw had a VIN stamped on them. All had the number 352 cast in in the block. That includes the 428 I ended up using. No vin, just 352. Saw several 427 s with the same markings. The FE "pros" I visited with said the only way to really know what FE block it really is was to measure the cylinder bore. One exception, the 427s have cross bolt mains. Thus, bolts just below the freeze plugs. All other FEs look the same from the outside.

68gt390

PB gtcs: That is exactly correct. All big block (FE) motors shared the same casting numbers so in order to truly tell which engine you have is to measure the cylinder bore. You may be looking for a 390 and actually have a 390, 428 etc. Becomes a problem once you bore the block. Another interesting item or way to identify such engines is to check the crank. For example, the 390 "X" code and 390 "S" code both had different crank shafts.

Don