• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Rear leaf springs

dbeal

I'm getting ready to reinstall the rear end in my GT/CS and am having a quandry on rear leaf springs. Should I get the stock leaf springs, (which may I hear cause the rear end to sit lower than the front) or a slightly lifted spring (which may cause the car to sit level or slightly higher in the rear). Want the car to look "right" when it is sitting level. what do you all think?

Darrell

Mosesatm

I used the GT springs and 1" lowering blocks on the clone I built years ago. I thought the height was perfect.

Perkchiro

I used 5 leaf 1" lowering springs in the front and back. Gives it a slightly lowered look that I like :)

Russ

The rear spring for the GT Equipment group option sits the car perfectly level. It also allows for better handling.
Hope this helps, Russ

Joes68

Darrell,
I've been looking at the same thing. My rear-end sits a little lower than the front and I want to level the car out a bit. Not sure if I'm going to get the rear springs re-arched, put in an add-a-leaf, or just buy new ones. I do know I want to get the rear end up a little bit.
Ron

Mosesatm

Another option is to put smaller diameter tires on the front to bring the front down instead of the back up.

OP
OP
D

dbeal

Thanks for the info! Now I just have to pick a vendor... :-X

68gt390

FYI - From the factory they all sat lower in the back then in the front. I've always used air shocks to get the car up just a little. I have a book somewhere if I can find it that gives the ride height for both front and back and I will post. I'm sure someone here on the site may have those numbers.

Don ;)