• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Engine emblem on fender

lnevill

The fenders I'm using for Bonnie and Clyde had both the "Mustang" script and the engine size emblem holes welded up. I've looked at a bunch of pictures and I see the "Mustang" script present on almost all cars, but the engine emblem missing.

So my question is: for an S code GT/CS, should the fenders wear both the "Mustang" script and the 390 running horse, just the "Mustang" or none?

thanks!
Lee

franklinair

The front fenders only have the Mustang script. No pony/engine emblem.

Neil

robert campbell

Neil,
This is great spot to start another discussion! You know how much fun these can be. Of course all pictures to our knowledge base show no engine emblem on a GT/CS.

The fun would be similar to a the GT/CS script. Did they make a special stamping of a front fender without the holes for the emblem? Kinda the reverse of the rear quarter California Special Script debate, and the holes IMO being drilled with a template. Easy to add the script down the line in this fashion, even to a painted car.

For the cost reason, I believe they would not have had a special form for the GT/CS front fender that deleted the engine emblem holes. That more than likely on the later run cars they covered the holes with lead or bondo prior to the final paint job? The car was known GT/CS order.

But what about the earliest GT/CS cars? The ones that were staged? The some 200 of them in the back lot in the latest book? Did they remove the engine emblem and then repaint and area or the entire fender?

And a question to those who have had known GT/CS cars to bare metal. Do they all have engine emblem holes that we cover? Or were they never there?

My car has holes for the emblems. They are covered with bondo. But of course its history is clouded at best.

This should be fun, or maybe I am missing something. Maybe this has been discussed before? Arlie is the magic man for finding old threads!

Rob

somethingspecial

Based on PMNs book, and believing the research correct, the fenders for the GT/CS had a seperate part number as the running horse emblem holes were deleted. C8ZB-16005-M (RH); and C8ZB-16005-M (LH). Yes, I know the numbers are the same, just quoting from the book. It might just be a typo, but shows a different part number for the front fenders. The only P/N I can find for the standard front fender is 8RZB-16005-6 with no other number indicating left or right. With this, maybe the M in the CS P/N is correct for both left and right.

CougarCJ

Based on PMNs book, and believing the research correct, the fenders for the GT/CS had a seperate part number as the running horse emblem holes were deleted. C8ZB-16005-M (RH); and C8ZB-16005-M (LH). Yes, I know the numbers are the same, just quoting from the book. It might just be a typo, but shows a different part number for the front fenders. The only P/N I can find for the standard front fender is 8RZB-16005-6 with no other number indicating left or right. With this, maybe the M in the CS P/N is correct for both left and right.

Mike when the Ford part numbers are written, 16005-6 it really means C8ZB-16005-M and C8ZB-16006-M. :wink:

Ruppstang

I have not got time to research but have a idea that a blank fender may have been used for the GT fender and the GT-CS fender. Just a thought.
Marty

dalorzo_f

I had heard that that was the case, they just pulled the stock fender and did not drill the "typical" holes, same part becomes multiple suffixes based on the drilling pattern... similar for 68 GT's which needed the larger holes for the GT badge and removed the other two...

robert campbell

I wonder if all fenders were blank and the either the running horse emblem or GT Badge were drilled as per the order?

Rob

Ruppstang

I do not think I have ever seen a NOS one drilled but that would make sense so it could be used for any model. It would also make sense that that the standard line fenders were to save time.

robert campbell

I do not think I have ever seen a NOS one drilled but that would make sense so it could be used for any model. It would also make sense that that the standard line fenders were to save time.

The old farm boy has a bit of trouble understanding what you said. So a NOS fender is completely blank? Or are all of them drilled for the Mustang script, but not an GT badge or engine emblem above?

I think your second sentence means they were completely punched for all attachments to save time? That would certainly make sense. As we know, later they put some emblems and scripts on with double back tape.

So..... The answer is for a GT/CS, no holes in the fender for an engine emblem or GT badge? Hmmmmm... Now those pesky early cars that were pulled off the line......

Does any one know where the car that was identified as the center stage car go?

Rob

Ruppstang

The old farm boy has a bit of trouble understanding what you said. So a NOS fender is completely blank? Or are all of them drilled for the Mustang script, but not an GT badge or engine emblem above?

I think your second sentence means they were completely punched for all attachments to save time? That would certainly make sense. As we know, later they put some emblems and scripts on with double back tape.

So..... The answer is for a GT/CS, no holes in the fender for an engine emblem or GT badge? Hmmmmm... Now those pesky early cars that were pulled off the line......

Does any one know where the car that was identified as the center stage car go?

Rob
Rob let me try again. This is only my idea but I think there was the standard that was drilled for the displacement emblem and Mustang script and there was a non drilled blank that was used for the GT cars and GT-CS and HCS cars. The blank was then sold as a Ford service replacement so it could be use for any car. Well may be not a Corvette LOL Marty

robert campbell

soooo..... was the blank fender punched for the Mustang "script"? Not the badge, not the engine emblem. So then they drilled it if the wanted the badge or engine emblem?

Or was it totally blank, no holes at all?

I am so corn-fused!!

Rob

Mosesatm

One was drilled or punched for both the script and the emblem, the other one (used for the GT, Shelby, and GT/CS) was blank?

That could be why so many GT/CS fender scripts are not aligned properly.

Last edited:

robert campbell

AH ha!!! That makes sense.... Now, the early cars that were staged...... That is another hill of beans..... Maybe they a bunch down the line with blank fenders.

Rob