• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Thoughts on this GT/CS

StraightSix

Mike,

It doesn't look like it has many (any) options, so I would place it in the "Good" category and estimate the value at around $7500. The absence of options (like PS, PB, AC, etc.) hurt the value, as does the ordinary paint color.

They are dreaming if they think it's worth $14,000.

A few things that I noticed were that the foglights are incorrect, it has a non-original dash, and it's missing the trunk cardboard to hide the light caps. The foglights could be corrected with one of two options if you want them to be correct:

1. Buy a set of correct Marchal lights for around $1,000. This car is early enough to have them, and you're missing the Lucas mounting pedestals anyway. My guess is that it was never switched over via the recall in 1968.

2. Buy some Lucas foglights ($300) and a reproduction pedestal kit from Tony Branda (~$99?) and perform the recall yourself.

The dash problem can be left as-is, or cured with a repro dash ($200) or NOS dash ($500).

The cardboard piece for the trunk runs about $20 at the Houston mustang shop. Tony Branda also carries it.

I wish I was in Austin, as I would be happy to go with you to look at the car. It's a bit of a drive, however, and the auction ends during the week :-\

Best of luck!

-Winston

68sunlitgold

I agree with Winston on the price, alittle high for a 289 with no options. But Winston, I believe the dash color, if that is what you are talking about, is correct. I think the beige interior came with a black dash, my sunlit gold convertible interior has a black dash and pillar pads. I remember reading that somewhere, but I could be wrong. If you want some cheaper Lucas lights, you could go with the plastic backed ones and save some money, but they are not original.
Doug

StraightSix

Actually, after further research I found out the dash looks correct -- I just didn't know it. Since my car has a flimsy hollow plastic dash (I think it's supposed to be a cover), I didn't know what real ones looked like. I thought they were smooth all over, but they appear to be stiched vinyl. Is this right? Anyway, my mistake :)

Looks like the new owner of the car would only have the fog lights and the trunk cardboard to deal with if he or she wanted to show the car. Well, that and some detailing. For a driver, it looks ready to go!

-Winston

68sunlitgold

Winston,
they made a cover for dashes that had saged or cracks, your dashpad should still be under it, that is the way it was designed but some did take the pad out which makes it look funny. If you need a pad, I would look on ebay, I have seen some go for under $100 and you can dye them any color.
Doug

StraightSix

Mine is just the cover, no dash underneath :-\

If I can't find a cheap one on eBay, I'll just shell out the $200 at John's Mustang here in Houston and get a repro dash put in. And you're right, the cover alone does look funny ::)

-Winston