• The intent of this Restoration Reference forum is to provide a collection of technical, accurate details to help others in their restorations. These Reference Articles can include photos, descriptions, diagrams, part numbers, concours rules, etc.

PLEASE ONLY POST VARIFIED INFORMATION. This is a technical forum and the information needs to be as accurate as possible. Please don't post things you've heard second hand or think you remember reading somewhere.

You may reply to an Article, but only if it serves to give more information or clarify a detail in that Article. These should be a presentation of fact more than a discussion. Off-topic responses will be deleted or moved.

Thanks!
  • Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Polyglas tire, Argent wheel, NOS trim rings and NOS GT cap pictures

390cs68rcode

Here is what a reproduction Polyglas tire looks like. The color of the wheel is the correct Argent color (the color is available at all Mustang parts houses). The GT cap is a NOS one. I have found the repro GT caps have a brighter shine to it compared to the NOS ones. The trim rings are NOS 67 styled ones. I honestly don't know what the difference is between the 67 and 68 trim rings, if there is any.

Attachments

• Dsc00008a.jpg
    Dsc00008a.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 183

JohnnyQuest515

GT emblem on wheels

Is the GT emblem on the wheel part of the GT package? I see some that have it and others don't. Trying to figure out without books I am waiting on.

Thanks, JQ

franklinair

If the car came with the GT option, then the hubcaps had the GT emblem. If not a GT, the Style Steel Wheels could be obtained, equipped with the plain center hubcaps.
The original '68 Trim Rings were NOT polished/shiny (except for the outer edge) - they were more of a burnished finish.

Neil Hoppe

Doug

Here is what a reproduction Polyglas tire looks like.

I have been looking at these for my car. How they handle vs radial tires? I just drive my car in a normal way. Not too much hot rodding.

OP
OP
390cs68rcode

390cs68rcode

Here is what a reproduction Polyglas tire looks like.

I have been looking at these for my car. How they handle vs radial tires? I just drive my car in a normal way. Not too much hot rodding.

they drive fine for just cruising around. They do seem to leave darker smoke on burnouts compared to modern tires. :grin:

hookedtrout

Does anyone have a photo of the correct trim rings for the 68 styled steel wheels. There is some conversation here about them being polished on the outer edge only. I'd like to see some photos up close as to the style and design (where the ridges are etc) so I can track some down. I found quite a collection of trim rings in my stash and may have some of what I need but I need to see accurate close up photos to get it right. I do not have a full set, if these are the correct rings I want to purchase the balance and get it right, not looking for perfect rings just correct driver quality.

Here are some pictures of what I have, I want to make sure and clarify I have no idea if these are correct or from some other vehicle, they have no numbers etc.

Attachments

• IMG_0639.jpg
    IMG_0639.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0640.jpg
    IMG_0640.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0641.jpg
    IMG_0641.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0642.jpg
    IMG_0642.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 47

hookedtrout

Cory;
They don't look like the '68 trim rings to me.

Neil

Either one of them? Wish I knew what they were off of so I could get them to someone that could use them. I have one with the closed loop valve stem and 3 with the open loop valve stem and they do have different designs.

hookedtrout

That's a great picture, close up and you can see they are slightly different, being a driver I could probably run with what I have if I could find a 4th one but there in lies the problem. I have no idea what I have if it isn't Ford? Robert is sending me some old ones he has around which is part of why I went and dug these out, hopefully his are close to or the same as mine, what are the chances?

Thanks