• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

X-code ?

Bluestang

Hello,
I was wondering what the x-code 390 engine option came with? I understand it had a 2-V carb. Was that the only difference? Did it have dual exhaust? Could you get it with the GT option? I understand that there was 215 390-4V GT/CS made. How many with the the 390-2V ? Also does anyone have a idea what a 390-4V with GT option is worth? My car is in very good shape with almost all original pieces (console missing!#**) I think my car may be in the registry (not sure). Vin # 8R01S154004. Could someone confirm that for me.

Thank you,
Kimball

68sunlitgold

Kimball,
The x-code only differed from the s-code by carbarators. The reason for the x-code is to fill the gap between the 230 horsepower 302 and the 325 horsepower 390. The x-code has 280 horsepower. You could get it with the GT option and it came standard with dual exhaust. I think, xcodegtcs can help me out here, there where 76 x-code GT/CS's. And your car is listed in the registry. As for price, a x-code is rare and the big blocks are more desireable, if all the CS parts are there, has minimal rust and is unrestored, I would imagine you could get over $8,000 for it (probably in the range 8-10K). I hope this answers your questions.
Doug

StraightSix

Doug,

Your number of X-code GT/CS's (and HCS's - the registry combines the two) jives with the 1996 Registry... 77 X-code cars.

Bluestang,

I would estimate that a 390-4bbl (S-code) GT/CS with the GT option would be worth in the neighborhood of $11,000-$12,000 in "Good" condition. That would be a daily driver with minor cosmetic or mechanical restoration completed -- basically a nice looking, rust-free car. There are currently more surviving S-code cars than X-code cars, but that extra horsepower makes them more valuable in my opinion. Take this with a grain of salt, however, as I have not been able to add any big-block sales to my price guide's database. Ask me about a 289 or 302 GT/CS and I'll be able to tell you the value within a $500 or so ;D

-Winston

68sunlitgold

Winston,
Do you have your price guide database in an excel file, and would you be willing to share it? I would love to get a copy. :) Thanks
Doug

StraightSix

Actually, I am planning on doing a web-based version soon, which everyone would be able to access! I would like more actual sales data on the big-block cars before I do it, but I may just post a disclaimer about the pricing accuracy for those cars. Everyone, keep your eyes peeled!

-Winston

x-codegtcs

HI guys - sorry for the late two bits...anyway, Doug is correct on all the points. Many people confuse the X-code Premium Fuel (99.8 octane) with the Y-code (a derated 390 @265 HP). The X-Code motor is the exact same motor as the S-code except for the carb and intake. When I bought mine the engine had already gone through the rebuild, so I am not sure about the cam. I have a buddy with his original motor in the shop and he is checking on the cam to get the part number. Other than that, the motor is the same (most importantly the compression). The correct manifold will have a large T on it. Another way to correctly ID it is the X-Code only came with a C-6. The rear end was an option, but most of the X-codes in the registry came with the 2.79 or 3.00. The car began as test by Ford to see if the big block 2V had a market - this is per a current Ford employee who worked there during the development of the X-code.

Also, for numbers the last I heard is that there were 76 made (someone quoted Marti Reports). About 500-600 or so total x-codes were made and they can be found in all body styles of the Mustang.

As for pricing, I picked my Wimbeldon white, standard interior, rusted out, GT/CS for $5600. It is currently stripped down and being readied for the local body expert's schedule.

In general, some people like to argue that the X-Code should garner the same premium as the S-code, but it is typically behind by a few $ and if either come with the GT option, the pricing seems about the same. Unfortunately there are only 45 in the X-code registry (7 Gt's and 6 GT/CS's) to compare.

Good luck!

Bryce

I'm glad this conversation is here. I've been trying to find out about my X-code GT/CS. I am currently getting it restored and don't know how much it will be worth. The car has been sitting in a garage for about 18-19 years and according to this conversation is worth 8-10 K unrestored. Where can I find more info about this?

68sunlitgold

Jeastling,
Ask your questions right here, if you are asking about the GT/CS portions of your car, this is the site you need. There is also a X-code registry, I don't know the exact link but I know xcodegtcs does, they should be able to answer any quesitons on the engine. Again this site is very helpful in answering almost any question. If you have certain mustang questions, the vintage mustang forum is very helpful here is their link: http://www.vintage-mustang.com/
Good luck
Doug

Thank you so much. I appreciate the help. I got really excited when I saw the other forum about the dates of the X-codes as well. I think you said yours was April 17. I don't have the VIN with me, but I remember mine was something like the 29th of April.

Hey all X-coders, if you want it to look right under the hood, there is another difference from the the 390-4V GT engine, and that is the air cleaner snorkle. Remember, the X-code engine is a Mercury engine, and Mercs sometimes had some "interesting" subtle details that differed from Ford engines. This is one of them. The 390-2V X-code snorkle angles to the rear, much like the 428CJ, and some pass it off on unsuspecting buyers as a CJ or Boss snorkle, but it is not. The difference is the mounting flange, the X-code rear angled snorkle has a standard Ford car wide spread bolt mount, the CJ, Boss and any other high performance Ford uses a narrow mounting bolt spread.

admin

Staff member
Administrator
[quote author=StraightSix link=board=1;threadid=130;start=0#517 date=1039458903]
Actually, I am planning on doing a web-based version soon, which everyone would be able to access! I would like more actual sales data on the big-block cars before I do it, but I may just post a disclaimer about the pricing accuracy for those cars. Everyone, keep your eyes peeled!

-Winston
[/quote]

Winston, please keep us informed on your price guide. Sounds very useful. :)

I don't know if you have a web site to put it on, but if you don't I'd be happy to host it here. If you do have a web site that you're planning on putting it on, I definitely want to add a link to it in the "resources" section.

Thanks!

StraightSix

Actually, I don't have a site myself. I would be honored if you would host it here, Jon! I think that this is the kick in the pants that I need to put some polish on it and get it out on the www. Let me PM you so that we can discuss formats, etc.

-Winston

StraightSix

[quote author=StraightSix link=board=1;threadid=130;start=0#507 date=1039388288]
I would estimate that a 390-4bbl (S-code) GT/CS with the GT option would be worth in the neighborhood of $11,000-$12,000 in "Good" condition.
[/quote]

Just in case anyone was wondering:

If you look at my recent posts in the Classifieds forum, you'll see that I estimated hubert's "Good" condition X-code GT/CS with the GT option at around $15k. You might wonder why that car gets a significantly higher value than the S-code GT GT/CS we're discussing here. The main reason is that I accidentally left out the "GT" option, which is good for another $1450 or so in my guide ::) Essentially I gave a "base" price, without any options other than power steering (which is required for a 390, I think). Some other good options would bump the value further. I didn't really account for a valuation difference between an X-code and an S-code, either. The S-code would probably demand a slightly higher price, as mentioned by x-codegtcs -- all other things being equal. I don't have any data to back that up, but it makes sense.

-Winston

Hi guys, my friend Bob Teets is sitting here we are just learning about this computer stuff. We have been restoring mustangs, shelbys and high country specials for years. Bob has in his H/C collection a 68 1/2 R code 428 cobra jet high country one of 9 (marti reports)and has the only X code High Country Special produced according to Kevin Marti. love to talk H/C & C/S e-mail hicountrybob@attbi.com
Bob has compiled vin #s from high country specials for the registry including all three years of 66, 67, 68

OP
OP
Bluestang

Bluestang

390 GT pricing?

Hopefully this will help with 390 GT GT/CS pricing. I purchased my car about four months ago. It is 390 4-V GT 8-R-01-S-65a-D-2b-26c-72-7 U. I purchased the car from a man getting a divorce. He had to be out his house in one week with all of his possesions. He had no place to put his car and was hard up for cash. ( Once in a lifetime chance for me). He had the car under cover in his garage since 1986. He had done a decent restoration and had placed in several local shows, portland world of wheels, Seattle auto-rama. He basically pushed it out of his garage and said here it is.It was super clean and detailed. Just dusty. It didn't run well. I purchased the car for less than asking for $10,500. I felt this price was a bargain even though I knew I would have to redo the engine. Since then I am the process of rebuilding motor and tranny. Almost done!! I figure I will have spent about $4,000 more. I still feel that the car is still worth that .THe car is excellent condition. I would not be embarrassed to show it , but want to drive it. I figure the car would at least be in the price range of 1967 1968 S-code GT fastback mustangs Maybe close to or below 69-70 428 CJ mustangs? Car was also from Hawawii. Options:GT, console,deluxe steering wheel,DB,PS,heater delete,deluxe belts. Staightsix and Hubert, I hope this helps you. If anyone else has ideas on pricing please post . Thank You

68sunlitgold

[quote author=hicountrybob link=board=1;threadid=130;start=0#625 date=1041559322]
Hi guys, my friend Bob Teets is sitting here we are just learning about this computer stuff. We have been restoring mustangs, shelbys and high country specials for years. Bob has in his H/C collection a 68 1/2 R code 428 cobra jet high country one of 9 (marti reports)and has the only X code High Country Special produced according to Kevin Marti. love to talk H/C & C/S e-mail hicountrybob@attbi.com
Bob has compiled vin #s from high country specials for the registry including all three years of 66, 67, 68
[/quote]

hicountrybob (& friend)
Its great to hear from Bob Teets, I am glad you are in the forum. Now we have both you and Paul, who I believe are the experts and two people who have done the most (along with Jon for running this site) to promote and familiarize the CS & HCS. With out you two who knows whre we would be in helping people like myself discover and then aid in the restoration of CS & HCS mustangs. Again Bob....Welcome!!
Doug

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Agreed. Paul and Bob have both done an amazing amount of work to educate the world about these cars. Most of us can't even hazard a guess as to how much time and money these guys have put into the hobby and how much our cars benefit from it.

So thanks guys! ;D And welcome Bob.

x-codegtcs

[quote author=68sunlitgold link=board=1;threadid=130;start=0#604 date=1041303886]
Jeastling,
Ask your questions right here, if you are asking about the GT/CS portions of your car, this is the site you need. There is also a X-code registry, I don't know the exact link but I know xcodegtcs does, they should be able to answer any quesitons on the engine. Again this site is very helpful in answering almost any question. If you have certain mustang questions, the vintage mustang forum is very helpful here is their link: http://www.vintage-mustang.com/
Good luck
Doug
[/quote]

For any interested, Marc Schultz is compiling the X-Code Registry and he sends a great packet of information with the forms to register your car. There is still a lot unknown about these so he askes some great detailed questions to try and identify the correct "standard". His contact info is below.

Marc Schultz
582 Ranchero Road, Suite 1
Belle Glade, FL 33430

I can't seem to find his email, but I will post it if I come across it.