• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Detailing

gazrox

Does anybody have detailing guides/notes/photos for the leaf springs and drive-shaft. I'm looking for the paint colors and location for a C-code car.

Thanks,

Gary

Ruppstang

Gary,
My HCS was built 7-16-68 and is a C code with a automatic transmission. I had silver paint bands on the rear springs and red and yellow on the coil springs. I have some pictures of these. I have not finished the drive shaft yet but have diped it in Evaporust to remove the rust. Most of the paint bands came off , but I recorded it. I'll try to find it and post it for you. Alot of things change the marks like build date, assembly plant and different options on the car. Too bad you did not find your build sheet. But yo might want to visit that thread of last week to see the colors and options there. Marty

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    148.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 68 HCS springs 001.JPG
    68 HCS springs 001.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 28
  • HCS Suspenstion 006.JPG
    HCS Suspenstion 006.JPG
    160.1 KB · Views: 32

franklinair

When I put new rear springs in my CS I painted them with Cast Blast to try and keep/match the 'natural' finish. No striping.
Marty- I was once gigged (critisized) for installing rear springs with the clamp & bent tab configuration. Justified or not? This was @ an MCA judging in Charlotte, NC.
I also finished the drive shaft 'natural', no striping.

Neil

OP
OP
gazrox

gazrox

I painted the leaf springs and drive shaft with "cast iron" paint - it looks quite good.

The reason I did the drive shaft was because of the "burn" marks from when it was balanced. I have the paint marks from the drive shaft, unfortunately it is not the original, I believe it came off a 1970 mustang. For some reason my car had one of those two piece drive shafts and I don't like them much, so I swapped it out. What the hell, I'll just go with what was on there, no-one will be any wiser! lol

Gary

Ruppstang

Painted is the way to go if you will be driving the car. I am doing a concourse trailered restoration with bare metal finishes protected with some advanced oils. That seems to be the direction the MCA is headed. I must admit I really like the look. Marty

Last edited:

Ruppstang

Neil,
It was too bad you were deducted for doing it right! Too many people think when you become a MCA judge you know everything. When a judge thinks they know everything that realy shows how little they know. We all make mistakes, but when I do I try to learn from it. Marty

dalorzo_f

+1 on the red/yellow on the fronts, just saw them on my May build C code the other day. Saw some faint marks on the driveshaft and want to jack it up this weekend and see if I can tell what they are...

OP
OP
gazrox

gazrox

I have the 1964 1/2 - 1973 Mustang Detailing Guide (K.A. Helms 1995). It shows coils springs for 1968 mustangs having yellow and orange bands, but every car I have seen has red and yellow bands, including mine. Could be an error in the book, just in case anyone else is using this guide.

Ruppstang

I have the 1964 1/2 - 1973 Mustang Detailing Guide (K.A. Helms 1995). It shows coils springs for 1968 mustangs having yellow and orange bands, but every car I have seen has red and yellow bands, including mine. Could be an error in the book, just in case anyone else is using this guide.

I have that book, it seems to have a lot of wrong information in it. Marty

Northern Pony

Gary;
I definitely have to see this car next time in your home town, I like the way your doing it. Should be November.
BoB

J_Speegle

Does anybody have detailing guides/notes/photos for the leaf springs and drive-shaft. I'm looking for the paint colors and location for a C-code car.

Gary we would need more information before suggesting marking colors

What trans, AC or non AC, GT or non GT,??

Seen most rear springs marked on the short leaf behind the rear end location on later 68 San Jose

Would steer away from the "1964 1/2 - 1973 Mustang Detailing Guide (K.A. Helms 1995)" since its based on later (72-75) references. Would rather use period documents or other cars built around the same time as yours

Would not use a cast colored paint - too light IMHO since they were heat treated - but of course every brand of spray paint differs - there is allot of variation in this stuff

Had more luck (on good non pitted examples) of a light coat of Eastwood Phosphate rattle can followed by a light dry coat of interior Charcoal (adds a little metallic sparkle line originally) then a light dry coat of satin clear to replicate the oiled finish