• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Colors of GT/CS

speedy02

After looking in the Gallery I have notice that there are very few black cars. I was just wondering what are the most popular color on a GT/CS. I don't think they any one has every broke down the numbers by color. Also Did the GT/CS every come with a different color of sticker other than black or white?

Talan423

if i were to guess, i would say that red is the most popular color for the gt/cs. i don't think that the colors have ever been broken down for the gt/cs. i know that the colors are broken down on the deluxe marti report, but i think that is for the entire 1968 production year.
i could stare for hours at a raven black gt/cs. i think it's a beautiful vehicle. it must not have been a popular color in 1968 because i don't see many of them either? somebody with a black gt/cs that has the deluxe marti report could give you an idea of the overall production number for black mustangs in 68. i own a presidential blue gt/cs and my marti report says there were only 7840 mustangs built with this paint code in '68. maybe some of the other owners could list their paint code production numbers off of their marti report too. i know they won't be exact numbers for the gt/cs production, but would give us an idea.

tom

68sunlitgold

speedy02,
There has never been a break-down of colors for just the GT/CS cars, although Kevin could do it I am sure. But I would venture a guess that the CS follows closely with what was popular for the '68 Mustang in general. There where 17 colors available in '68 (not including special order or edition) they are in order of most popular to least:
Lime Gold
Candyapple Red
Acupulco Blue
Wimbledon White
Highland Green
Sunlit Gold
Meadowlark Yellow
Gulfstream Aqua
Royal Maroon
Diamond Blue
Sea Foam Green
Brittany Blue
Presidential Blue
Tahoe Turquoise
Other
Raven Black
Pebble Beige

Do you would be correct in thinking a Black Mustang is rare, especially a Black GT/CS.

Doug

BrandonB

My GT/CS was repainted to black, its original color was meadowlark yellow. So mine isnt an original Raven Black.

OP
OP
speedy02

speedy02

Well is their anyone that has a org A "Raven Black" thats Black. I notice that there is a Raven Black car but not suppost to be Black.

Doug57

MY Marti report states 3,158 1968 mustangs were painted raven black. I remember reading somewhere that there were only 20 GT/CS with the paint code A. Raven Black, Ford #1724-A.I never get tired of looking at mine. :D

OP
OP
speedy02

speedy02

Where did you read that at I would Love to find that information.

Doug57

[quote author=speedy02 link=board=1;threadid=949;start=0#msg5279 date=1086384780]
Where did you read that at I would Love to find that information.

[/quote] I don't remember where I read that, but the number 20 stuck in my mind.I don't know if that is correct. Sorry I can't remember.It would be interesting to find out how many there were,and how many are left?

68sunlitgold

speedy02,
the only person that can give you that answer would be Kevin Marti. When you get his reports the numbers that are given in reguards to colors, ie "your car is 1 of #### with red color"...accounts for all '68 Mustangs, but I am sure he can look at the color and "California Special" combination to find the numbers.

Doug

OP
OP
speedy02

speedy02

Yeah thats what I was thinking. Something I don't think could ever be found out.

P

PNewitt

Another way of figuring the rarity of generic '68 Mustang options--and how they translate into GT/CS (HCS) numbers is to divide CS production into total '68 coupe, and/or all models' production, and you'll get really low numbers, in the hundreds, to less than 20, etc...

Black is an extremely low production item. Back in the late 60's, people loved ivy green, just like they loved "avacado" colored refrigerators and stoves. Thaat is why green was so popular.

Paul.

68sunlitgold

speed02,
Taking Pauls suggestion, there were 5,245 raven black mustangs built in 68, of those 3158 where hardtops. With the total number of cars built in '68 being 317,423, the where 1.65% of them raven black. Now taking that percentage by the number of GT/CS's (4118) you come up with around 68 raven black GT/CS's. But since all GT/CS's where hardtops the numbers are 1% raven black hardtops in '68 which equates to 41 raven black GT/CSs.

Now that is a rarity of rare cars

Doug