• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

New Guy Looking at GT/CS on Ebay

RB

Greetings
I have really enjoyed brousing through the Forum and looking at the pics. Unfortunately, I know nothing about the GT/CS as I have always had 65-66 models. Why does the following CS not have the dual exhaust exiting (similar to the 65-66 trumphets) like some of the other models? What do you think will be a good price for this one owner original? Anyone had a chance to look it over? Thanks for all the help! Ron

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2475460967

gtcsjcode

The reason for the exhaust not being dual is because only actual GT's came with dual exhaust. In order to be a true GT, it would have had to be a 4 barrel carb V8 engine. To determine this the VIN number would have to be stamped 8R01Jxxxxxx, 8R01Sxxxxxx, or 8R01Rxxxxxx, or 8R01Qxxxxxx, This car has the C code, ie: 8R01Cxxxxx, which decodes as a 2 barrel V8, 289 cu in. so this car did not come with the GT Package, ie: Dual Exhaust, and the GT center caps and argent steel wheels or chrome steel wheels, with the F70x14 tires and the heavy duty suspension.

With that all you really want to know is a real GT for the GTCS mustang had to have come from the factory with a 4bbl engine to be known as a true GT.

As far as this car, looks really clean, and the fact that it's from an orginal owner and the numbers match, this would be a good find. How much is it worth, well It's worth what your willing to pay I guess, when I bought mine, I was 100% in love, and paid what the guy was asking, and have not regreted it. Just remember that these cars are special and the value will remain if not appreciate as time passes.

Hope this helps. If I were you, I would make a trip and then decide if this one is for you. Go sit in it, drive it, admire it, ask hundreds of questions about the car and the history, and if all is exciting, then get the car. If you do make sure to ask for any and all documentaion and papers and anything else for the car, especially from and original owner, you might be surprised what you get with the car sometimes.

Good Luck. ;)

OP
OP
R

RB

Thanks for the great reply and wealth of info! So what I hear you saying is that there are legit CS 's (ordered as C Code engines etc.) and then there are those GT/CS that were ordered with the J, and S code engines. I would imagine that the GT/CS would bring more money than the CS's. Do you know if the Marti report can be done fast enough to verify this car as an original CS.
Thanks Again
Ron

hookedtrout

The car looks to be in great shape. One thing I notice missing is the hood locks? Could be a replacement hood?

Hook

68gt390

Ron;
Prior to buying my car back in Febuary 04, I called Marti Auto Works and had my report in hand within 2 hours. I flew to Seattle the next day and purchased the car. As hookedtrout mentioned the lock down pins on the hood are missing and can't tell for sure but, the Lucas lights look like they may be spotlights rather than fog lights. If I'm not mistaken, all GT/CS's came with foglights not spotlights. Getting the Marti report is the best way to eleviate any doubt prior to purchase. They can be reached at (623) 935-2558.

Don

gtcsjcode

You guys are right, I didn't catch that, the hood locks, where are they? The lights look different too, I bet this was hit in the front one time. I would suggest asking that question of where the hood locks are and if there are any hood lock brackets under the hood. Definently get a Marti Report if your seriuos about buying. It's definetly worth it.

66joej

I emailed the seller about the two items mentioned (hood locks and incorrect lenses on the lites) the day the car was put on eBay and no response as of today. I would definetly get a Marti report before bidding.

66 Dearborn HCS

[quote author=RB link=board=1;threadid=888;start=0#msg4904 date=1082738006]
So what I hear you saying is that there are legit CS 's (ordered as C Code engines etc.) and then there are those GT/CS that were ordered with the J, and S code engines. I would imagine that the GT/CS would bring more money than the CS's.[/quote]

No, No, They're ALL GT/CS's some just don't have the GT package. And yes the GT/CS's with the GT package are worth more.

OP
OP
R

RB

Ok, learning more all the time. I did receive the Marti report on this car. It has the following options listed . . .

California Special
C-4 Select Shift Cruise-O-Matic
F70X14 Wide Oval Tires
White Sidewall Nylon Tires
Power Steering
AM Radio
Tinted Glass
Deluxe Belts

Talked with one of the guys at the dealer. He said that the hood locks were removed and welded over. No idea why! In addition, the one owner is actually the original owners son that got the car through his estate auction. Dealer could not say why the original owner did not give the car to his son or why it had to be puchased through the estate auction. Floor pans- Very poor replacement on the driver side and judging from the other side it may need replacing as well.
Ron

gtcsjcode

Well if you do get this car, make sure to upate our registry, the more we keep this updated the better we can keep track of these cars.

As far as the price , I would go through the car completely, even put it on a rack, and inspect everything to make sure you get your money worth.

Just a suggestion. Glad you did get a report. Hope that helps you.

Goos Luck. :D