• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Interior Paint Color Help

njmop

My CS has a "black" interior. I've painted my rear panels 67-73 interior metallic black charcoal paint. HOWEVER, my dash and glove box are next and they look like the "cast blast" color I just bought to paint my grille. All of the books that I have say to paint the dash "black metallic charcoal" but it just is not the same color as the doors and rear panels in the car. I don't believe that the paint faded that much over 40 years because under the dash pad is this grey charcoal looking paint. There is no evidence of a repaint.

Any ideas on the color? Is this really black metallic and I am color blind? Should I paint it black charcoal and call it good? I want it right, but can't tell what right is...

The pictures are tough to see, but compare the rear panel to the dash...

Please comment...

Attachments

• DCP_6679.jpg
    DCP_6679.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 29
  • Misc 078small.JPG
    Misc 078small.JPG
    175.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Misc 099small.JPG
    Misc 099small.JPG
    176.9 KB · Views: 29

franklinair

You're right - the dash in your car is MUCH lighter than the rear panels. (Personally, I like the Black better)
Here's the trick: In the 'olden days' I used Krylon Satin Black (no longer available in the original satin finish). Now, use the current Krylon satin black as a base coat, followed by a light coat of Charcoal Black Metallic (NPD #AP-4464) and you'll have the right look. Some folks may critique my method & choice, but you'll have the right look.

Neil

J_Speegle

Can't really tell much from the pictures - digit cameras and monitor setting change too much.

If they do look different from one another the only way they could have gotten that way IMHO is exposure to the elements or repaint since both surfaces would have been painted at the same station at San Jose Dark Charcoal Metallic.

Notice that the door panels are still on - have you removed them to check for a repaint pattern. Without checking all the evidence its hard to state that they have not been repainted IMHO - just a thought ;)

Really can't come up with a logical reason to believe otherwise at this point

OP
OP
njmop

njmop

Neil. I like your painting method. I did that with the back panels. I'll try it again with the door and dash. If I don't like the "daker" color I can always retry it. I was really wondering if Ford actually had a charcoal Grey rather than black in 68. I guess not.

franklinair

Be careful on the door panels. Too much paint fills in the grain. If the grain seems too smooth, remove the old paint with stripper or a wire wheel (SANDPAPER NOT ALLOWED!!)

Neil

J_Speegle

...........I was really wondering if Ford actually had a charcoal Grey rather than black in 68. I guess not.

Though Fords name for it was black they applied Dark Charcoal Metallic Poly on the painted sections of the interior starting in 69 ;)

OP
OP
njmop

njmop

Here's what my my Dark Charcoal Metallic Looks like

I painted them the proper dark charcoal and they look pretty good, so I'll continue with this color. Thanks.

I've included picks of my grill that I painted "cast blast" today too.

Attachments

• IMG_0437small.jpg
    IMG_0437small.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0443small.jpg
    IMG_0443small.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0448small.jpg
    IMG_0448small.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 38