• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Horn Pad

zozobra

This may be a dumb question but the CS I bought about 2 months ago has a problem with the large pad that goes from the steering wheel towards the dash. Mine is the color of the interior, Ivy gold, but is torn. In the middle of this pad seems to be another separate smaller pad that has a center cap and six smaller caps. I have found what I believe is the center pad as well as the center cap and six other small caps. I think that none of these are the actual large pad that bolts to the steering wheel with two screws through the actual steering wheel. Am I missing something, is this pad really one of the items I just described as having found listed in a catalog, is there a place to buy a new pad such as I have described, or do no more exist? It seems to me that this ought to be a fairly often damaged piece of equipment.

Thanks

PFSlim

I am alittle confused. Are you asking about the center piece that is located on the steering wheel, like shown?

Paul

Attachments

• Stang460.JPG
    Stang460.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 30

PFSlim

By the way, it would be my recommendation that you restore any pads located on the steering wheel. By restoring, I mean to repaint or recondition. You can repaint with a vinyl paint to match your interior or you can send out to someone to have reconditioned.

These parts are hard to come by. Therefore, the recommendation to fix what you have, if possible.

Paul

Mosesatm

All of the parts are available through Mustang parts vendors except possibly for the large pad. At least I've never seen a reproduction large pad. I have an extra black one that you can dye. They are also on eBay all the time.

hcsstang

When you buy the large center cap it has the mustang emblem in the center. The paint stripes should be red ,white and blue that starting from the left side. You can buy some of the emblem that's painted wrong.

OP
OP
Z

zozobra

PFSlim said:
I am alittle confused. Are you asking about the center piece that is located on the steering wheel, like shown?

Paul
Thanks for the response. The part I am talking about is the very large pad shown in your photo that goes from one side of the steering wheel completely to the other side. There is a smaller center pad that has the center button and six others.

OP
OP
Z

zozobra

Mosesatm said:
All of the parts are available through Mustang parts vendors except possibly for the large pad. At least I've never seen a reproduction large pad. I have an extra black one that you can dye. They are also on eBay all the time.

I would be very interested in buying a new one and dying it. My car's interior is in good shape other than some brown spots sue to the sun. I have purchased some dye and used that with what I consider very good success. The large horn pad has a fairly large tear in it and appears somewhat out of shape as well so I do not know how to repair it.

Mosesatm

NPD has the following parts
Pad, Horn Center Cover (the small pad the 6 buttons fit into) $19.95
Buttons, Horn Panel - 6 piece set - $32.95
Plate, Horn Panel Backing (the chorme ring the pad fits into) $34.95
Emblem, Steering Wheel Hub (the center running horse) $26.95
Horn Ring $61.95

The only part they do not offer is the large pad that we are discussing.

As you can see the cost of restoring a steering wheel can add up fast.

OP
OP
Z

zozobra

Mosesatm said:
NPD has the following parts
Pad, Horn Center Cover (the small pad the 6 buttons fit into) $19.95
Buttons, Horn Panel - 6 piece set - $32.95
Plate, Horn Panel Backing (the chorme ring the pad fits into) $34.95
Emblem, Steering Wheel Hub (the center running horse) $26.95
Horn Ring $61.95

The only part they do not offer is the large pad that we are discussing.

As you can see the cost of restoring a steering wheel can add up fast.
So are you willing to sell your extra large pad? I will order the other parts excpet the horn ring since mine is OK.

Thanks

Mosesatm

I was but someone else already contacted me and bought it, but check eBay they are on there all the time.

69convert

the chrome plated trim ring is to large. I compared it against to old originals and it was longer. To long to fit into either "big" pad I had. I ended up using the dremel tool on it. the small pad I got from that the buttons fit into was unfit to use (very uneven texturring and small bubbles). I dyed my old one and used it.
The "big" pads are on ebay. BE careful!! I found out the hard way that the back section that fits around the steerig wheel spokes has a tendency to open WIDE. The pad itself looks great until you put it on the steering wheel.
Ask the seller. I am sure my seller knew!!!
If yours is in good condition except for the cracks, get that vinyl repair stuff (i think you can get a kit from eastwood), patch the cracks, and dye the pad (worked for me).