• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

. Triple "B's" Garage

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

The six shooter 68 is about ready to be painted Royal Maroon. Dark red interior and black vinyl top with black out hood! All new trim pieces and a fresh motor and front suspension!! It will have all new stock brakes and four new shocks also.

Rob

Ruppstang

For some reason I am partial to white strips on royal maroon :smile:

Attachments

• 2080-10-19 20.10.07.jpg
    2080-10-19 20.10.07.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
R

robert campbell

We are actually we are thinking of he Black "C" stripe to match the hood black out paint and the black vinyl top!

Rob

Batgirl89

Rob, it is called a PCV transfer tube, common on most all "S" cast 390-4V intake manifolds. I believe that Batgirl's car with Canadian DSO originally came with one too.
http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182/thread/1135998144/Need+detailed+pictures+of+68+Mustang+390+GT+PCV+system

Scott, thank you for the link to that thread.

Ok, so here is my question, that guy had a Canadian non emission 68 GT 390. It sounds like its set up like my Canadian non emission 68 GT 390 ('67 GT air cleaner, bakelite spacer, no pcv tube) So maybe the Canadian cars didnt come w/the pcv tube?
The plug in the front of my manifold has blue paint on it. (looks original)
Anyone know anything about the Canadian cars? Marty?? Arlie? Neil? Rob?
my other question is what does the tube do?

Attachments

• Resized_20171231_174537.jpg
    Resized_20171231_174537.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 25
  • Resized_20171231_174516.jpg
    Resized_20171231_174516.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 32
  • Resized_20171231_174103.jpg
    Resized_20171231_174103.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 24
  • Resized_20171231_174053.jpg
    Resized_20171231_174053.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 37
  • Resized_20171231_174033.jpg
    Resized_20171231_174033.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Batgirl89

Sheryl,
Below is a pic of Eric's 390. Both Dan's and his have the same vacuum tube running front to back on the passenger side of the engine. The PCV hose connection is hidden by the heater hoses. You may need to use the 1.2 space on the original Holley to clear the transfer tube on the passenger side. And if you do not have this vacuum tube then you will need to port on it for the PCV hose.

Ran into a snag with your carb. I got it running on the 351 and it was WAY BETTER. It had a mild flat spot right of idle that I was starting to address, but first I wanted to set the float levels. Front was a little low, so I moved the idle seat out. Tighten up the set screw and yup, el strippo! The front float bowl threads let go. I am very careful with them, but these old carbs are sometimes very worn. Dan's front float bowl had a similar problem on the front corner where the small fuel filter screws on. Grabbed the new fuel filter for his and it just pressed in. No threads at all. Dan got my last good spare I had. But not to worry!!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Holley-QFT...dle-Seat-Thread-Repair-Tool-Kit-/171846413611

Time to buck up as I have a couple more stripped out ones.

Rob

Rob, Im excited the carb is running better! I had given up hope. But you are amazing! we can kick in a donation towards the holly kit, let me know!
Thanks Sheryl

68gulfstream

If Gem's setup is (nearly) original as it currently exists, that would save a lot of time and money. I think it's the smart move to do the research before changing anything.

Batgirl89

Batgirl89

If Gem's setup is (nearly) original as it currently exists, that would save a lot of time and money. I think it's the smart move to do the research before changing anything.
+1 I have to research fast, the part you found me would be perfect, if I need to get it. Thank you for finding it for me

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Scott, thank you for the link to that thread.

Ok, so here is my question, that guy had a Canadian non emission 68 GT 390. It sounds like its set up like my Canadian non emission 68 GT 390 ('67 GT air cleaner, bakelite spacer, no pcv tube) So maybe the Canadian cars didnt come w/the pcv tube?
The plug in the front of my manifold has blue paint on it. (looks original)
Anyone know anything about the Canadian cars? Marty?? Arlie? Neil? Rob?
my other question is what does the tube do?

Sheryl,
The fitting on your spacer plate is for the PCV valve hose. Your newer carb has a fitting on it for the PCV hose, but your original Holley does not so you will need to use the fitting on your spacer plate. The two fittings with all the vacuum connections behind your carb look factory, but I cannot see the furthest one back very well due to the PCV Valve hose. Dan's and Eric's engines use the further one back as the rear connection for the PCV valve "tube" on their cars. I am curious as the whether your back fitting has a connection point for this tube? It would be plugged by a brass nut with a reverse flare to seal it.

I agree that your car looks original right down the mouse nest (just kidding). The plug in the front looks like a factory style nut, but this tube could have been removed long in the past and the fittings removed or plugged. But I am not up on what the difference is on Canadian cars.

Rob

CougarCJ

- regarding the PCV tube. Years ago a friend explained to me that the tube
helped balanced the vacuum pulse between the intake runners. Which supposedly makes a smoother idle. It is only found on the 4V intakes with large runners.

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Eric,
Awesome research!!! Sheryl will love you for that!! I just got the thread repair kit today to fix her carb! Hope to get it ironed out in the next day or two!!

Rob

Batgirl89

- regarding the PCV tube. Years ago a friend explained to me that the tube
helped balanced the vacuum pulse between the intake runners. Which supposedly makes a smoother idle. It is only found on the 4V intakes with large runners.
Scott, Thank you for the info!
my carb may need that!
Sheryl

Batgirl89

Eric, thank you! youre such a great addition to the forum. (and Rob is right!, he knows me too well)

Rob, I loved the New Years Utube video, and the one that came after, Erics wet test on Dans car! nice:grin:

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

I need to capture it, but the Mustangs Restoration Manual shows a 1968 390 without the tube we are speaking of. They show it more for a 1967 GT-390 which also puts you in the early 68 bracket of hold over parts. What are the build dates for these three Big Block Stangs?

Rob