• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Mustang Storage, Garage Lift?

Perkchiro

I'm considering a 4 post lift to make more room in my garage. The end of driving season is upon us here in MO, so I'll be buttoning up the CS soon. I was wondering if anyone uses a storage "lift" in their garage. I've searched the internet and there are several but I have no idea about quality or ease of use and features. Anyone out there have a recommendation?

390cs68rcode

I ordered a backyardbuddy.com lift that should be here in 6 weeks. Not cheap but it seems to be very well built and I have never heard anything bad about them. Buy it once instead of going cheap and buying it twice.

$4500 plus ship for the basic model. drip pans, jack tray and casters added about $800. shipping was $500. I will have someone put it together for me and they said about $400ish.

rvrtrash

I guess I went cheap, with a brand called "Direct Lift". It cost me $2200 shipped and came with drip trays, jack tray and castors. I've had it about 4 years now with no problems. It doesn't get run up and down very often, because it's mainly for storage, but I have used it for some other work and have no complaints. You can PM Arlie if you want and get his private opinion. He saw it when he was here.

Steve

PS, I put it together myself, but used the trolley hoist on my ceiling or probably would've needed a case of beer, several pounds of BBQ burgers and a few friends.

66hcs-conv

When purchasing a lift, be very aware of where your garage door is WHEN IT'S OPEN, and where you position the lift. I've seen more than a few lifts that are not usable because of the open garage door restricting the height.

Dave

aemoo28

Please tell me the minimum height needed in a garage in order to have this kind of storage solution. Never knew you could stack them!

rvrtrash

Please tell me the minimum height needed in a garage in order to have this kind of storage solution. Never knew you could stack them!

My shop has 10' walls and a vaulted ceiling to 12' (HOA wouldn't let me build higher than 1 story and this is the most I could squeeze through). I would say a 12' ceiling is the minimum if you're going to stack them, and as was pointed out previously, that would be about 11'6" to the door when it's open.

Steve

390cs68rcode

My shop has 10' walls and a vaulted ceiling to 12' (HOA wouldn't let me build higher than 1 story and this is the most I could squeeze through). I would say a 12' ceiling is the minimum if you're going to stack them, and as was pointed out previously, that would be about 11'6" to the door when it's open.

Steve

backyardbuddy told me you need the height of two cars plus about a foot or less. I have 10 feet 2 inches in my garage at the lowest point because I have a beam that goes across my garage ceiling toward the garage door side. I will most likely have to back my top car on it to have the cab of the car toward the front of the garage cause I have 12 feet there. I had to have a special garage door opener in stalled that has the motor on the side compared to the drop down in the middle regular ones.

U D-SIDE

Just found this thread.

I bought one last year for my backyard barn. I researched a few weeks first. My ceiling is a little low...about 11-12 ft. I found alot of cheap ones (1700-1900) but they were made in China.

I went w/ the WORTH brand...Low Clearance...(cables run on the floor w/a steel cover...post are only about 10'. I think the total was about $2400 & included a transmission jack on wheels. I installed it myself (by myself)!!

WORTH is located in Mansfield, TX. After I talked w/a local rep., the President of Worth called me directly to see if I had any questions before making a decision.

www.worthequipment.com
1(800)433-7016 Steve Prater (president & sales manager)