• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Grass Valley Car Show

PonyGal

Had a great time at the Grass Valley Car Show today. No trophys, but lots of beautiful cars! Tim (Midnight Special) took up several of his beauties and I took both the Stevenson/Foster GTCS and my Gold Coupe, thanks to Ron (Clubpro) who drove for me. Got quite a few comments and kudos on both my babies. Especially the Special!! People looked at the book that Paul Stevenson (PFSlim) made up for me and couldn't belive it was the same car :eek: One guy swore the pictures had to be "just for show".

It was an absolutely gorgeous day in the foothills - the best weather you could ask for!!! A great time was had by all. Even got a couple of shots of "future" Mustangers...

Thank you again Ron for driving! I hope to call on you again to be a "designated driver" in the future :wink:

Attachments

• 100_4022.jpg
    100_4022.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 100_4011.jpg
    100_4011.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 100_4005.jpg
    100_4005.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 100_4009.jpg
    100_4009.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 25
  • 100_3965.jpg
    100_3965.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 100_4018.jpg
    100_4018.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 100_4024.jpg
    100_4024.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 100_4025.jpg
    100_4025.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 42
OP
OP
PonyGal

PonyGal

A few more pics...

Attachments

• 100_3990.jpg
    100_3990.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 100_4001.jpg
    100_4001.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 100_4000.jpg
    100_4000.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 100_3970.jpg
    100_3970.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 29

Midnight Special

Renee, Your pictures are fantastic!
384 pre-registered cars and many thousands of people! As many GT/CSs as any other Mustang combined. Record attendance and performance! Ron - So glad you came up!!
Paul & Zach Stevenson would be very proud of Renee and her show(woman)ship. When she raised her hood, I went & closed most of mine ;-) It was indeed a great day!

Attachments

• 1168.jpg
    1168.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 1165.jpg
    1165.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 1179.jpg
    1179.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 1181.jpg
    1181.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 1174.jpg
    1174.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 32
  • 1170.jpg
    1170.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 29
  • 1169.jpg
    1169.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 1160.jpg
    1160.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 18

di81977

Great pictures, sounds like you all had a fun time.

My father has his house for sale and wants to move back to the Roseville area. Who knows, maybe I will have an opportunity to visit next year.

david

PFSlim

Rene and Tim

Thanks for posting the pics. Sorry no awards this time. The car looks great. Zach and I were speaking about the car the other day and miss it. We are glad it looks so well.

Thanks again for sharing.

Paul

Midnight Special

Rene and Tim

Thanks for posting the pics. Sorry no awards this time. The car looks great. Zach and I were speaking about the car the other day and miss it. We are glad it looks so well.

Paul

Paul, no worries about "no awards". The show was put on by the Downtown Assoc. and was not affiliated with a club. The judging categories were overall: "Best antique, Best hot rod, Best '60's muscle" and etc... Had there been a "Mustang" category, then things would've been different. Renee's only competition may have been w/ a concours '69 Mach I (S-code 4-spd.) that was also well presented by a very nice owner :)

clubpro

It was one of the best shows that I have ever been to. I had a great time driving Renee's gold Mustang to the show and then I got to drive Tim's Midnight Special back to his house. Then Renee' let me drive her special back to her house. We had a great time and the day was perfect. We all had a great lunch together and the caravan to the show and back was incredible.

I can't thank Tim and Renee' enough for their great hospitality. We showed up at Tim's house and we had 13 Mustangs all in one place. It was a day that I will always remember and I know that my cousin Linda will forever be grateful to Tim for letting her drive his 70 Mach 1 from the show to his house. She is probably still smiling.

Cheers,

Ron

Midnight Special

Needless to say Ron, you were a Big part of the day's magic!

Sometimes after a sorte' as this, I have to pinch myself while wondering if it's just a dream.

For one reason or another (years ago) we ended up with this California Special Mustang. Although many early Stangs were on the road back then in all varieties, this one was unique and mystique. Everyone knew about Shelbys, Machs, Bosses, GTs,,,but what the hell is this?

Turn the pages forward a few hundred (as well as the calendar) and just think of we have today! So rare that it's styling will forever invite intrigue and admiration, yet so common with it's wide range of options, parts availability and thus, affordability to drive (and invite more intrigue) which in my mind, make it the perfect "all in one" classic car!

Fast forward to this website and meeting more people, getting more Specials...

Although I understand why some may want SAAC to recognize this or MCA to approve that,,, and even with years of books and magazines being filled with the same (known) models; I have always felt extremely special when driving a California Special. I believe we have it all over the "trailer queens" of those venues as evidenced by the many people who approached us wanting to know "the value of the difference". We've shown we can be "stand alone" yet still very prominent. Most of you know, but for those who doubt - just jump in your CS and go across town & back... You'll know :)

And then there was Renee who had owned many '68 coupes in the past living her dream with an essentially brand new Acapulco Blue '68 GT/CS and the very die-cast model it inspired...

Thanks again for being here Ron. It was very nice seeing your cousin Roy and meeting Linda :) Other "pilots" included my wife Frances, son TJ, brother Sean, local radio personality Deana Martinez, Carol Kinyon and her friend Joe. We also contacted some "airport" pals who did the formation fly-bys in their homebuilt airplanes.

What a great day! What pride the heritage!!

Last edited:

PFSlim

Tim

That is way cool. I love it when a good plan comes together. Thanks again for posting the pics. Makes us in the midwest feel like we were there and part of the fun.

Paul

Midnight Special

Doug, Grass Valley is approx. 50 miles northeast of Sacramento in the Sierra Nevada foothills. It was incorperated in 1850 with the first discovery of gold embedded in quartz and eventually became surrounded by the three richest producing gold mines in all the western U.S. It's name came from migrating settlers who paused from their long descent of the Sierras (toward San Francisco) to pan its creekbeds in lush green fields...

HappyHour

What no video this year?? Renee didnt passout? :wink:

Pics of all the Mustangs representin look great. That show is so relaxed and seem more and more people are just enjoying all aspects of the cars represented. What a crowd. Was the purple RS Charger there this year? That was a fav of mine last year.

Really bummed I missed Grass Valley this year you guys always show great hospitality especially with pre and post events! Will look forward to Nevada City hopefully.

I was in Austin trying to sort through some job options which may mean I may need someone to babysit my CS for couple of months (or worse longer) while Im out of the Bay Area. Ill be taking applications. Tim...Renne know of anyone? :sad:

Those flybys are from homebuilt planes? Very cool!!

Midnight Special

Sorry no video Robert. My sister has made a successful business of that and turned us down for someone who is actually paying her. Some loyalties are based more on needs I suppose, Go figure ;-)

We missed you too! I didn't see the purple RS, but there was a green factory 440/ six-pack, bone stock... I hope all is well with your job. I currently don't have any opening for CS convelescing, but will be glad to help you find options.

Yes, the planes were kit-built RV-4s and RV-6s assembled locally.

OP
OP
PonyGal

PonyGal

Hey Robert,

We missed you up in Grass Valley! It was a great show, but no video this year. Just lots of great cars and perfect weather!! Hopefully you can make it up to Nevada City in July! You really need to make it up here before you head out to Texas (if you go). Not sure about being able to "babysit" for you. The old man is complaining about me having two Mustangs around here already. He'd sh-- if I brought another one home :-O

robert campbell

Renee,
Ya sure!!! Rub that perfect California weather in!! Just a few rain showers today in the great, gray Northwest!! Hope to visit you and Tim soon!!

Rob