• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Sunny day at last!...

rvrtrash

Steve,
Brother Rob is bent over a bunch of 2X4's and other stuff this Spring. Renovating the old shop to a big huge room for Val!! But both cars are ready for the summer and beyond!! Hope to drive the GNS to Grass Valley and then to Steamboat!! Maybe Tim wants a ride to Colorado!!

Rob

I've been trying to do some remodeling as well, although so far it's just paint. Floors and counters come next. I think what we have is fine but I've been informed I don't know what I'm talking about. I hate those home improvement shows!

Steve

OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

I've been trying to do some remodeling as well, although so far it's just paint. Floors and counters come next. I think what we have is fine but I've been informed I don't know what I'm talking about. I hate those home improvement shows!

Steve

...You mean there's such a thing as "concours" homes???

rvrtrash

LOL! I could have referred to mine as a survivor, because it still had the "Contractor White" walls, original carpet, etc. It's only 16 years old and we have to change it already? What's up with that?

Steve

somethingspecial

LOL! I could have referred to mine as a survivor, because it still had the "Contractor White" walls, original carpet, etc. It's only 16 years old and we have to change it already? What's up with that?

Steve

My GOSH MAN!!!!! If you have to change anything, make sure you put the contractors marks back on, you know, the scribe marks, etc. There are a bunch of specialty shops around that have OEM hardware for your home. They may even still have the same style "Threasholds", Door hardware, and even bath fixtures your home originally came with. It's worth shopping around. "Look for Quality", and what ever you do, save the old stuff so if you ever sell, you can give it to the next owner. LOL GOSH, Thank god we are not like that with our cars. Mike

OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

LOL...Tell me about it!!
We lived in a Victorian for 13 years (rented) owned by a widowed lady who lived vicariously through her houses. I got a break on rent by agreeing to help her here & there to maintain & manage tenants for them.

Talk about a second full time job! ....and picky,picky,picky! Everything had to be correct moulding, sash, doors & frames, windows & glass, milled floorboards, and on & on!! I remember she nearly went to tears when she couldn't get lead-based paint any more!

'Course you could never hang a picture straight in that place because the windows didn't match the wall corners, floor & ceiling edges etc... and 12' ceilings with (original) un-insulated walls meant for expensive winters (as well as weekly earthquakes with the washer going on spin-cycle!) Original cast-iron external plumbing meant walking around with a hand torch to restore water on occasion as well...

One of my biggest ass-chewings came after I was practicing martial arts in the living room when my shoe flew off & went through a front window. I had the glass guy come & replace it and made sure it was installed and puttied to perfection. About six months later, while peering through the windows she noticed the lack of (wavy) imperection in the new glass verses the old! I guess I should've fessed up the first time after the fact ;-)

I also got to take care of her original '57 Caddy and drive it in parades! Fun times (as well as educational :)

Attachments

• 2121.jpg
    2121.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 32
  • PICT0039.jpg
    PICT0039.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 29
  • 1981.jpg
    1981.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

robert campbell

Side pipes and snow!!! Wing spoiler looks like a great seat for kids! Built them strong back in the day!

rvrtrash

My GOSH MAN!!!!! If you have to change anything, make sure you put the contractors marks back on, you know, the scribe marks, etc. There are a bunch of specialty shops around that have OEM hardware for your home. They may even still have the same style "Threasholds", Door hardware, and even bath fixtures your home originally came with. It's worth shopping around. "Look for Quality", and what ever you do, save the old stuff so if you ever sell, you can give it to the next owner. LOL GOSH, Thank god we are not like that with our cars. Mike

Great idea on the carpenters marks! I just did the kitchen and dining room yesterday, so it's still fresh in my mind. I even have an OEM mid '90's carpenter pencil. As we all know, it's the little details that make a difference. :cheesy:

Steve