• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

390 or 428 heads?

calspcl

Do any of my fellow 390 GT/CS'rs know what the date code is on these heads that I found for sale in Olympia Washington? He states they are 428 heads. His add reads;

"Came off good running 428 motor.Casting numbers-C8AE-H 9E2?"

Is the (9E2) 1969, May, 2nd? What would tell me they are 428 or 390 heads?

Thanks!

somethingspecial

According to the casting # book, C8AE-H in '68, was for the GT390 or the GT500.(which should have had a 428).
valve size is: int.2.02 exh. 1.55
A 428CJ head should be #C8OE-N, with valve sizes at: Int. 2.09 exh. 1.66
if the # you showed was a date code, you are correct at May 2nd, '69 as the casting date. Good Luck, Mike

PB GT/CS

Just a note, both 390 and 428 are FE engines. Heads will transfer from one to other. Several styles of heads for FEs were made during the period. The GT heads were one of the rarest as they were necessary for the FE to fit in the Mustang engine compartment. They shoot the exhaust more downward than do other heads of the time. they are Difficult to find. If you are looking to retrofit a Big Block in a Mustang, you will need these heads to make it fit. Finall word, the GT heads were not very effecient. That is why the 289/302 hipo cars were nearly as fast in the quater as were the big block cars. But i can tell you this, since I own a Big Block car and half of a small block car, that big block with a little cam in it really sounds great!!

Brian

OP
OP
calspcl

calspcl

Thanks for the info you guys. For some reason the site isnt recognizing my password today or I would have logged on with this response.

Thanks again, Dan

J.Bart

390 gt heads have smaller ports than cobra jet heads and have 14 bolt pattern on the exhaust, also smaller combustion chamber. the c8ae-h heads came both in gt and standard exhaust bolt pattern.