• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Vin stamping question

redonred

I recently purchased a basket case gt/cs...... a previous thread i had mentioned missing parts for the radiator support well upon going through all the parts further the area where the vin stamping would be has been replaced, and the holes to bolt the fender to are missing due to the replacement. Also the cut out original vin stamped area is missing. I have recently seen a thread here where the vin stamping did not match the car, this is not a issue with this car as i have paperwork back to the original owner that purchased the car and all the tags, and the numbers matching motor. Or rather should i be worried this is missing, and what is the best way to go about taking care of this issue. LOL sorry for the long thread but this car originally was a heater delete car that was moved to Maine in the following years, and heat was later added any details on how the car would have been setup as a heater delete car are much appreciated. Thanks in advance for any support.

franklinair

Do you have the VIN plate, riveted in place inside the windshield? You can also check the other inner fender panel. Some cars were stamped on BOTH panels. Its worth a try, to look
Neil Hoppe

robert campbell

Redonred,
From my experience with VIN’s there was subtle change in 68. The notch on the left front fender where the 65 to 67 era VIN’s showed is blank. As Neil said it is on the dash on the right side visible from outside the car.

But if you remove the left-hand fender or loosen and slide in away from the fender apron, you will find the VIN. Unless the inner apron is a reproduction piece. You can also jack up the left front and clean an area on the bottom side of the apron and find it stamped through the metal. Need to us your upside down and backwards gift and it can be very faint.

Also on the right hand side you can do the same thing. The VIN is on the apron panel in the same area as the left side. But due to battery rust many of those panels have been replaced. I have also seen cars that have the VIN stamped on the inner apron behind the shock tower on both sides. Most common on the right hand side. Again, covered by the fender where it bolts to the apron. If you jack the car up and take off both front tires you can really get up in there and inspect the bottom of those areas for the number stamping through the metal faintly. Or if you are restoring you should see them when you disassemble.

Hope this helps!

Rob

OP
OP
R

redonred

both aprons are a reproduction peice actually basically the whole front clip was replaced along with the floorpans, and the rear frame rails. So i shouldnt take the fact that the stamping is no longer there as a liability i do have the vin in the correct place on the windshield as well as the door tag. LOL i know its a gt/cs i just want to make sure i havent lost "proveablity" points. Thank you so much for the replies

franklinair

State to state registration requirements are not always the same. When I registered my C/S in North Carolina, I had the title (signed & notarized) from the seller and a bill of sale. The state also required a "rub" of the VIN tag. The VIN tag is a MUST HAVE. I've never heard of a state that also requires rubs fron the body stampings, although they may be useful if the VIN tag was missing.
Neil Hoppe