• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Car cover

luisa2552

What do you all think of car covers? My car comes back in a week or so and I keep it in a locked garage with our other car and I think I want to keep it covered. We live on a busy road and the car gets dusty even in a closed garage. So what's the big difference in a $20 cover and a $200 cover?

case12

I prefer very light cloth dust covers to the fitted expensive ones. The dust covers breathe very well, are easy to fold, and keep the dust off. I have others that are resistant enough to hold off snow, but I dont use them. Casey

hookedtrout

I use a nice fitted breathable cover, can't remember the brand but I could get the name if it interests you.

My advice is this, a cover is great if the car is inside a garage, it keeps the dust off and prevents people from bumping and scratching it. If the car is outside in the elements it depends you have the potential for wind movement which could cause paint damage or trapping moisture, but it's a trade off with the sun and other things so I guess it all depends, mine is inside so I keep it covered and I like the fitted cover, easy to put on and it stays right where you put it with no movement once it's on. I just wish it was protecting a fresh paint job instead of the 20 year old paint, some day soon.

Cory

hookedtrout

hcsstang said:
The higher price the better the quality cover you get.

Agreed, I bought the costy one when I bought. They have more breathability to allow any moisture to dry out rather than trap it. You make a great point that I missed. You don't want the cheapest type, they don't breath and are typically more abrasive.

Cory

Perkchiro

I've been looking at covers too. Does anyone have experience with the NOAH covers. According to the sales literature, its suppose to be superior in breathability, protective ability and softness on the car's paint. Anyone have one?
Steve

BroadwayBlue

Perkchiro said:
I've been looking at covers too. Does anyone have experience with the NOAH covers. According to the sales literature, its suppose to be superior in breathability, protective ability and softness on the car's paint. Anyone have one?
Steve

I have a NOAH for my 96 Convertible. I used it through the winters, snow and ice and all and the car looked great at the end of the season. Never had a problem with it. They're pricey but don't know if I would use it indoors if I didn't already own one.

Russ

California Car Cover makes a "micro-fiber" car cover that is unbelievable. No dust gets on the car, it is water proof and is very light-weight. It's pricey, but an awsome cover. Hope this helps,

Russ

hcsstang

I have a bag for my car . Spread it out on the floor and drive in . Put some absorbent material under the car than zip it shut. Good for the winter. Not made for the outside just inside.

rvrtrash

One point I might bring up. Don't use a cover for the first 6 months on a new paint job. The paint needs to breath to get all the solvents out and it's still "soft" and the cover may leave marks.
Steve

OP
OP
L

luisa2552

Thanks for that one Steve. I would have thrown a cover on as soon as it gets home. What about those dust mops? I use one on my 'mom' car. Would it be ok on new paint?

rvrtrash

Should be. The damage comes from dragging the cover over the paint putting it on and taking it off and from being pressed against the paint on the edges and over large surfaces, i.e. doors, etc.
Steve