• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Hawaiian GT/CS

Ruppstang

Thanks Ron! I never imagined that they could be found. We will have to see if dad wants to pony up. That is a lot.

somethingspecial

I'll bet the Salt air destroyed most frames, those look like they are in really good shape. We've all seen what the sea air does to cars alone. Frames made from pot metal corrode really easy. Might be spendy, but to find them in this good of shape....... Mike

OP
OP
K

Konabully

Marty,

My dad was pretty darn cool and had a devilish sense of humor. Too bad I had to be a typical turd in my teens but I am thankful I had a chance to make up for it and not be such a flake before he passed. I had to grow up pretty fast and took care of my mother and sister after their accident. I'm fortunate I inherited his sense of humor and compassion as it helped me though the tough times.

My dad had put on the extended spring shackles. They went with the Highjacker air shocks that were all the rage in the 1970's for their "rakish" good looks along with the steel slotted mag wheels.

The original 289 motor blew up coming back on a coast to coast road trip when I was about 2 years old. We were stuck somewhere in Texas on our return trip for a few days. It was not the Gumball rally but I grew up in a family that were born with a lead right foot. Yes, the car had been raced quite a bit. The motor was rebuilt by our neighbor Bud Wagner who was a mechanic and machinist (great guy too, built landing gear for bombers during WWII). My dad managed to get a good education out of it as well as forging a great friendship. The original block was re-used and dad spent a lot of money at Carroll Shelby's store in Los Angeles. It had a custom ground camshaft too. I sold the car with the motor and C4 trans but the only thing original was the engine block at .030 overbore. The gears were the stock freeway gear ratio (2.79?) but everything came together nicely as a driver. However, I'm sure my dad abused the heck out of the drivetrain.

Boy, that is cold! I can only imagine how bitter cold it is there.

I used to have one of those Honolulu Ford license plate frames and a pair of the original Hawaii green with white lettered license plates. I haven't seen them in decades though.

Last edited:

Ruppstang

More great history and answers. I suspect some one along the way to us kept the original engine because we got a trashed block that did not match the cars VIN.

Boy I hope some day you find those plats and frame.
I made a offer on those NOS ones but they turned it down.

Yes it is cold but good weather to stay warm in the shop working on Mustangs.
Marty

OP
OP
K

Konabully

I remember why the engine blew up now. Well, how it was told to me anyway.

Dad was going at a good rate of speed down a farm road when an escaped piglet ran out in the road. My dad didn't have enough time to stop and possibly endanger everyone in the car, so he hit the little guy. He said the piglet tumbled under the car then shot out the back end up into the air several feet. At this point, he didn't want to stop and possibly deal with an angry farmer so he kept on going. It was an "oink-and-run" incident with no time to enjoy the bacon. He kept going until the rod knock happened. Yup, karma caught up with him that day and won.

Ruppstang

I wonder if it damaged the oil pan and pick up tube starving it for oil?
Oink-and run that is a good one!

rvrtrash

Steve or Rivertrash's GT/CS is another one from Hawaii. That makes 3 so far?

My car has air conditioning, and the heater as a result.
I was told once by a certain individual that there were 6 cars sent to Hawaii, but I haven't seen anything to document that.

Steve

Mosesatm

Steve and Marty
What is the dealer codes for your Hawaii cars?

Thanks

Mosesatm

Thanks, Steve.
If Mary comes back with the same answer Castner may have been the only dealer in Hawaii that sold GT/CSs.

clubpro

My old 390 CS was sold at Honolulu Ford as well.

Cheers,

Ron

Ruppstang

We only have the basic Marti Report so we do not have the dealer code.
Marty