• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Doug is recovering nicely

mbsf1970

With Doug's pulse constantly showing low I decided a oil change-ectomy was necessary. With the filter off I further decided to transplant his oil pressure sending unit. There were some tense moments when patient didn't want to let go of his sending unit but a well placed wrench and hammer taps soon convinced him to give it up.
Well, happy to say that Doug is now freshly topped up with 20w50 and sending unit seems happier about it as well..

Stephen
P.s. This was a short term fix for a long term problem who's prognosis is still not known. Direct pressure gauge will go a long way to assisting in correct diagnosis but for now patient and owner are happy

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 56
OP
OP
M

mbsf1970

Doing it to keep oil pressure up somewhat until I can get engine assessed for wear. I knew there was sufficient 10/30 in it but the pressure gauge was always out of acceptable range and it bugged me whenever I'd look at it while driving.
Stephen

ratrodgta

Hi, what is the acceptable range, would you know where the guage needle should be. Thanks.

OP
OP
M

mbsf1970

In the picture of the gauge....from left to right you will see the uppercase letter "L" then a solid white vertical line then a rounded rectangle followed by another white vertical line and finally the uppercase "H"
Acceptable range should see the needle inside the curved rectangular section. I'm certain that if I don't mention it others will.....that this gauge is one step up from an idiot light and isn't always accurate. The only true test of your oil pressure is to use a "direct reading gauge" in the place of the oil pressure sending unit on car.
Stephen

Last edited:

Powell

I might add that there were two different sending units for a 1968 ford. One for an oil indicator light ( idiot light ) and a different one for an oil pressure gauge.

hatchdog

Hi, what is the acceptable range, would you know where the guage needle should be. Thanks.

My oil pressure gauge reads similar to the picture above. The engine builder, Franklinair, tested it with a direct read gauge and got a steady 30 pounds at this reading. I'm running Valvoline High Zinc Racing Oil 10-30w and do see some fluctuation in the gauge reading based on rpm but I believe this is pretty common on these old gauges.

robert campbell

30 pounds of hot idle oil pressure with 10/30 is the sign of a very solid engine. The pressure should raise to about 40 or 45 pounds at highway speed. That would be close to the mid mark on a Ford oil pressure gauge of that era.

At cold idle and highway speeds it will show a bit higher. I actually prefer a 10/40 or even 20/50 in a car that predominantly is a summer Sunday driver as most our cars are. And most of our cars sit in a semi-warm garage during a winter start up. The use of 10/30 was a wise choice for daily driven cars that were exposed to colder winter temps back when these cars were first purchased and many set outside in the elements.

Rob