• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

12 months to cruise USA

gt bandit

Hello All ,

looking for advice on travelling the USA for 12 months , trying to weigh up the best options.

• Was thinking rental of a small RV (just 2 adults and a 1 yr old)
  • Buying an RV and reselling at end of trip.
  • buying a car and using Super 8 motels (haven't done any RV stuff before)
Any tips , guidance or offers for help greatly appreciated. we anticipate leaving in late December 2007.

see ya on the road !

shaun

Mustanglvr

Don`t try to cross the mountains (Rockies, Cascades) in the winter time.

Diesel Donna

Shaun,
I think you would have a blast if you followed old Route 66, the Mother Road from Los Angeles to Chicago. Get some books to guide you . Maybe with a one year old, an RV would be better, but then it's not like the baby would be as restless as an older toddler. Then follow a different route back to explore other states. Be sure to schedule stops along the way with CS and HCS owners! Why not rent a vehicle instead of buying, and get unlimited mileage?

~~~~Donna

rvrtrash

A lot depends on you, but here's some stuff to consider. A small RV will get very small after a while. Do you want to beat yourself up or have a good time? Also, unless you're going to drive the RV everywhere, you'll want an economical car to tow along and the small RV's aren't rated for towing. If you compare prices of motels (avg. $100.00 a night), gas for a travel car and the cost of eating out for every meal, I think an RV would be cheaper, but I would rent one instead of buy, like Donna said. That way you don't have the hassle of trying to buy when you get here and sell when you leave, plus if something goes wrong with it you can just call the rental company and get a new one instead of sitting in some small town for a couple of weeks waiting for parts. Keep in mind, you can stay in WalMart parking lots for free, which will save you some campground money. I'd join Good Sam club (RV group) and get info, etc. from them. My mom spends 9 months a year in a 34' Diesel pusher and loves it. Hope this helps.

Steve

CALIF GIRL

We have a 30' RV that we drove from Cal to Florida and back. We had a blast. BUT, We have been RVing for a long time and we are all used to it.
WE had 2 adults, 16 and 15 year old boys and a 10 year old girl.

WE were only gone a month but got alot more in than we would have had we done a car/hotel thing.

Things to consider,
Are you ready to drive a large vehicle in traffic, some people are not confortable with this.

You have a limit on the water your tanks hold(black,grey and fresh) are you prepared to find dumps for black and grey? and you will need to find places to refill your fresh water also.

RV's eat gas don't expect more than 8-10mpg.

Like Steve said a tow car would make things easier when you are at a destination and want to drive around town.

Some good things about the RV that I really like:

I sleep in my own sheets every night.
I don't have to worry about finding a restroom along the way.
I have my own shower.
The food bill is much less expensive and I tend to eat healthier than I would if I eat in resturants.

I think with a one year old it is easier to handle daily life activities in the RV. A "Routine" is easy to establish.

OP
OP
gt bandit

gt bandit

thanks a Bunch crew ,

We are going the RV route ---------- The changing of the tanks I assume can be done at RV parks.

No probs with the big vehicles - use to drive a peterbilt full of nitrogen in WVA for a while when i was 22.

I have checked some rates its about $ 30k for a year in a small unit - with reasonable mileage. May have to forgo the big unit.

thanks again for all your advice -- See ya on the Road