• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

So Cal Car & plane Show 10/29

tworings

The fifth annual "Wings, Wheels and Rotors Expo" is set for Sunday, October 29,2006, at the Army Airfield at the Joint Forces Training Base in Los Alamitos. This family-oriented program features a wide variety of civilian, military and public agency helicopters. This includes early military and current front line attack helicopters, plus your favorite news media "eye in the sky" choppers that bring you the Breaking News reports, as well as helicopters from Orange and Los Angeles County law enforcement and fire agencies.
Admission and parking to the show is free! Hours are from 9:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m., pacific standard time. You will need a photo identification to enter the active military installation.
The wings portion is also a collection of civilian and military planes, including warbirds that saw action defending our country in prior conflicts, plus the modern Army, Air Force and Marine war planes that are currently engaged in the freedom of our Nation!
Joining us again in 2006 will be a whole group of Miniature Warbirds ... scale model radio-controlled replica's of the planes that flew in World War II and other conflicts. These are not the small hobby-type, rather they are scale models in exacting detail that have wing spans of eight to ten feet in length. You will marvel at one that carries paratroopers, another jet-powered F-18, helicopters -- there will be several flight demonstrations throughout the show.
Count on fly-by's from larger military aircraft, as well as a full field of aircraft on static display that you can get up close to, and in some cases, tour.
In 2005, we had more than 325 custom, antique, muscle action cars, hot rods, motorcycles and custom bicycles. Again this year, we expect an even larger field as owners enter the car and motorcycle show portion of the event to be enjoyed by young and old alike. Entry Applications. Judging will take place and more than 40 trophies will be awarded. Bring your kids and camera's for the many photographic opportunities.
The "Expo" portion will see more than 125 vendors, featuring everything from die cast cars to pins, hats, military gear and merchandise from the greater Los Alamitos area. Entry Applications. A special Fifth Anniversary Event Tee Shirt will also be available for purchase. And, we'll have lots of food so that you can make a complete day on more than a million square feet of Wings, Wheels and Rotors Expo!
Live entertainment throughout the day, plus a special "Kid's Corner" where youngsters can participate in creative activities. The YOUNG EAGLES will also be offering free rides in hopes of peaking interest of young people enjoying recreational flying. And, we expect to have Helicopter Rides throughout the day, for a small nominal charge.
The event is produced by the Los Alamitos Area Chamber of Commerce in cooperation with the Joint Forces Training Base. A portion of the proceeds from the event go to the Morale, Welfare and Recreation program for soldiers who are assigned and train at the Base. In 2005, $3,360 was given to the MWR program. In just the past two years, we have supported the troops at the JFTB with more than $5,200!

Attachments

• Los Al Show.pdf
    135.2 KB · Views: 31

Midnight Special

Sounds like alot of fun Lisa - 'wish I were closer... We do the same sort of thing here in Grass Valley. 'Love the warbirds especially!

Attachments

• 3mustangs.jpg
    3mustangs.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
T

tworings

Midnight Special said:
Sounds like alot of fun Lisa - 'wish I were closer... We do the same sort of thing here in Grass Valley. 'Love the warbirds especially!

Great picture Tim - we would love to get a picture with a plane too - but not sure if it will be possible -- but we will if we can! Not sure if we're taking the Mustang or the '39 to the show. ~Lisa

Midnight Special

tworings said:
Great picture Tim - we would love to get a picture with a plane too - but not sure if it will be possible -- but we will if we can! Not sure if we're taking the Mustang or the '39 to the show. ~Lisa

Lisa, I know some So. Cal. warbird owners where a car/ plane photo can be arranged sometime if you want. There are numerous P-51 Mustangs at Chino & Van Nuys airports. The Planes of Fame museum in Chino would likely acommodate you for the asking. Several restoration shops there often have planes out on the ramp where I'm sure they would let you pull up & take pics.

OP
OP
T

tworings

Midnight Special said:
Lisa, I know some So. Cal. warbird owners where a car/ plane photo can be arranged sometime if you want. There are numerous P-51 Mustangs at Chino & Van Nuys airports. The Planes of Fame museum in Chino would likely acommodate you for the asking. Several restoration shops there often have planes out on the ramp where I'm sure they would let you pull up & take pics.

Thanks Tim - That would be worth looking into. I know our friend would like to get a picture of his '41 Ford with a plane too - we could make it an outing. :grin: We live in North Orange County so Chino is not too far away either. I bet Donna would show up if we asked. LOL

my68cs

That is so cool!!! I wish I could be there! I've been to one of the Chino air museums but i can't remember which one. They had all kinds of plane parts and junk there. They even have a plane there that a guy here in Ontario, Oregon sold to them. I think it is an A-4 but I'm not sure. It was in pretty bad shape. I don't think they have a P-51 but they might have one now.

Diesel Donna

tworings said:
Thanks Tim - That would be worth looking into. I know our friend would like to get a picture of his '41 Ford with a plane too - we could make it an outing. :grin: We live in North Orange County so Chino is not too far away either. I bet Donna would show up if we asked. LOL

Just tell me when and what time!! :icon_ecst

Midnight Special

tworings said:

Oh. there's at least 3 restoration shops there including Aero Traders of whom I sold a bunch of WWII B-17 and B-25 parts to... I know I can make the call & arrange it for you if you really want, but I likely won't be there with a CS. I could maybe coincide it w/ a business trip tho... would love to see ya'll! Get everyone to agree on an approximate time frame & let me know. I'll call & pave you a path... In the meantime, enjoy the air show Lisa!

OP
OP
T

tworings

Midnight Special said:
Oh. there's at least 3 restoration shops there including Aero Traders of whom I sold a bunch of WWII B-17 and B-25 parts to... I know I can make the call & arrange it for you if you really want, but I likely won't be there with a CS. I could maybe coincide it w/ a business trip tho... would love to see ya'll! Get everyone to agree on an approximate time frame & let me know. I'll call & pave you a path... In the meantime, enjoy the air show Lisa!

What a nice offer! If you're going to be in town, maybe we can work around your schedule. Otherwise maybe we can try and plan something after the holidays. Possibly we can get some of the other locals to show up besides me & Donna. :grin:

Diesel Donna

tworings said:
What a nice offer! If you're going to be in town, maybe we can work around your schedule. Otherwise maybe we can try and plan something after the holidays. Possibly we can get some of the other locals to show up besides me & Donna. :grin:

Oh Joe is easy...he'll do anything we ask.:::::::::ducking::::::::::::::rofl:

Midnight Special

tworings said:
Okey dokey - Tworings, Donna & Joe :grin:

It's a done deal!

Not only will you be allowed to pull up & take pictures w/ a P-51, but you will likely be asked to be on display (multiple cars) roped off in front of the '51 as a display during one of their air shows!

The guy was really enthused when I told him they were California Specials (& went on to say if they were Chevys - we were out of luck;-)...

Lisa, I will PM you his contact information w/ hopes I could be there too. (I'm now jealous;-) He knows of your name and will acommodate you as per your schedule. Knock 'em dead!!

P.S. Wouldn't this make for a nice calendar candidate for next year!?

case12

Wow! If only I could make the trip from Chicago with my GT/CS, I would be there. You will have some great pictures for the calendar next year! Casey

OP
OP
T

tworings

Midnight Special said:
It's a done deal!

Not only will you be allowed to pull up & take pictures w/ a P-51, but you will likely be asked to be on display (multiple cars) roped off in front of the '51 as a display during one of their air shows!

The guy was really enthused when I told him they were California Specials (& went on to say if they were Chevys - we were out of luck;-)...

Lisa, I will PM you his contact information w/ hopes I could be there too. (I'm now jealous;-) He knows of your name and will acommodate you as per your schedule. Knock 'em dead!!

P.S. Wouldn't this make for a nice calendar candidate for next year!?

Tim - you are so awesome! It would be great to try and schedule when you will be in town. Let's see what we can do - I bet we can get at least 3 GTCS's there - and maybe my husband's '39 Ford and his friend's '41 Ford. (No Chevy's - right? :grin: ) ~ Lisa

Midnight Special

tworings said:
Tim - you are so awesome! It would be great to try and schedule when you will be in town. Let's see what we can do - I bet we can get at least 3 GTCS's there - and maybe my husband's '39 Ford and his friend's '41 Ford. (No Chevy's - right? :grin: ) ~ Lisa

...A Chevy engine might be okay Lisa - we'll just have to keep it hush ;-)
He spoke of a February gathering that will have Unlimited Air Racing as the theme and will display racing P-51s as well as vintage. 'Hard to say whether I can be there or not, but please do contact him and arrange a time that will work for you (all) & keep me posted. I hope too that that you discover (as I have) that nostalgic aviation is also very exciting and thought provoking - but believe me; they will be every bit as proud to photograph their Mustangs w/ yours as yours w/ theirs :) The '39 & '41 will also be welcomed & there are many other warbirds there as well. YOU MUST SEND PICTURES when completed!
:) :) :)

Attachments

• mach51.jpg
    mach51.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 12