• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Tires rubbing rear quarters

joedls

When I'm in my car alone, I can drive and not have any problems with the tires rubbing. But when I have a passenger of any size in the car, my tires hit the lip whenever I go over a dip or a bump. I can probably remedy this by rolling the lip. Is there something else I can do? Stiffer leaf springs? Shocks? Don't really want to go with the old airshock trick. Any help is appreciated.

tworings

We're having the same issue since we got the bigger 10-spoke rims (16") & tires. Got new air shocks & leaf springs and tried to roll the lip and still didn't totally fix the problem, but made it better. May have to get smaller rims and tires or have the axle shortened.

Mosesatm

Joe, NPD offers 1" extenders. Do you think another inch will take care of the problem?

Last edited:

rvrtrash

The shocks are only to dampen motion. If you run air shocks or something real "stiff" to keep the ride height higher you will eventually fatigue the mounting plate where the top of the shock mounts. It's a single layer of sheet metal and not meant for that kind of stress. The best bet is new springs with a higher spring rate. Helper springs, shackles, etc. just seem to wear out the factory spring. In fact, the Fairlane I'm working on had helper springs and now 2 of the original 4 leafs are broken! Depending on tire width you can also buy rims with a different offset, that moves the tire in about 1/2" or so. Hope this helps.

Steve---I mean "Dad" :grin:

OP
OP
joedls

joedls

I think wheels with different backspacing is the probably the solution for me. I don't know what backspacing these have, but 235/60R15 tires shouldn't be rubbing. I'll take a look at how much room I have between the tire and the inside of the wheelhouse.

Diesel Donna

When I'm in my car alone, I can drive and not have any problems with the tires rubbing. But when I have a passenger of any size in the car, my tires hit the lip whenever I go over a dip or a bump. I can probably remedy this by rolling the lip. Is there something else I can do? Stiffer leaf springs? Shocks? Don't really want to go with the old airshock trick. Any help is appreciated.

Joe...don't take any passengers!! :rofl:

2007GTCS

I ran 235/16's on Magnum 500's when I had my '69 with no problems. I had to change to the Magnums because of an offset problem with the first set of rims I had on the car. I think the only way to go is to change your rims (or go back to a smaller tire). I wouldn't alter the wheelhousings at all, but that's just me.

Mark Puls

For what its worth I have the 15 inch Shelby 10 spokes with 235 60 r15 's and have no problems ......original rear suspension

Mark

davidathans

i replaced my stock leafsprings with new leafsprings (stock ride height)...i have ranchoRS9000 rear shocks...and im running a 17x9" rim with a 275 tire...im only rubbing if i hit a dip too fast...if your wheels are rubbing with just a single passenger in the car, i would take some accurate measurements and put a rim that is at least 8" wide back there that has the correct backspacing...my 17x9 has a 5.95" backspacing....my 15x8's that i have my slicks mounted to have 5" backspacing...my rear end width is 60 7/16" end to end which is 1" wider than the stock 8" was....so my tires are pushed out toward the fenders an extra 1/2"...my fenders are tucked. I also have Caltracs traction bars back there

i posted some pictures to show the difference between a 205/70R14 stock looking wheel on my car...to the 275/40R17 before the 9" pushed out the tires and then after the 9"

Attachments

• RearWheelsAfter9inch (Custom).jpg
    RearWheelsAfter9inch (Custom).jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 35
  • New Rims Stock Rear End and Drum Brakes (Custom).JPG
    New Rims Stock Rear End and Drum Brakes (Custom).JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Wheel Well Stock Wheels (Custom).JPG
    Wheel Well Stock Wheels (Custom).JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 22
OP
OP
joedls

joedls

figured out my tire rubbing problem is definitely worn leaf springs. The tires are rubbing inside the wheelhouse above the lip. I also figured out that I can stuff about 2 more inches of tire in there so I can get more traction.

davidathans

told you so...i got 275s on my CS...235s look like nothing next to 275s...with a 347, especially with a supercharged one...235s wont cut it, even if they are drag radials...you need traction bars too....check out www.calvertracing.com ....their caltracs traction bars are the best on the market and the man to speak with is Travis...they will take care of you, worth the $$

OP
OP
joedls

joedls

told you so...i got 275s on my CS...235s look like nothing next to 275s...with a 347, especially with a supercharged one...235s wont cut it, even if they are drag radials...you need traction bars too....check out www.calvertracing.com ....their caltracs traction bars are the best on the market and the man to speak with is Travis...they will take care of you, worth the $$

OK, David. Here's what I did. I installed new leaf springs, ordered some 15" wheels with 5.25" backspacing, and installed 275/60 drag radials. I already had installed Traction Masters traction bars. No rubbing problems. Here are some pics.

Attachments

• P1000823-resized.JPG
    P1000823-resized.JPG
    159.5 KB · Views: 21
  • P1000824-resized.JPG
    P1000824-resized.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 26
  • P1000825-r.JPG
    P1000825-r.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 26
  • P1000834-r.JPG
    P1000834-r.JPG