• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Hood Holes--factory assembly question.

P

PNewitt

From Nfrntau's photos of primed GT/CS parts (on another thread), I now wonder if the hole saw holes (for the hood pin retainer clearance) were drilled WITH the underside piece already attached to the top (of the hood),
OR if they were drilled on the bottom half before the two-part hood assembly.

I've always thought of the latter method, but I need to ask this:

Do any of you have hole saw cut marks on the underside of the hood's top piece (top half)? They would be circular scrape marks, exposing bare metal. A drilling jig was used to do this, I wonder if it had some sort of "stop" to keep it from cutting all the way through. I'm assuming that it was done before the hood was attached to the car.

I also wonder if the halves were painted before or after the hood sections were assembled (or at least primered). If anyone has ever torn apart a '68 hood (top from bottom), that would tell the story right there.

thanks!

Paul N.

nfrntau

Paul, just checked the holes in my hood.
My hood was drilled bottom side up and top side down.
I also checked to see if there were any score marks from the larger hole saw on the bottom side of the hood top. Nope.
From looking at the bottom of the hood, I would believe they drilled those hole first using the frame as a starting guide with a template. Both sides appear to be identically placed. (reciprically)
If you don't have a template I can make one.

miller511

Paul,

My hood shows hole saw marks (partial circular) from the underside where it touches the upper skin. This indicates (to me) that the two pieces were assembled before holes were drilled. Maybe they were less careful on some hoods when they punched through with the hole saw?

-Jeff

nfrntau

Here's another photo that shows the burs on both top and bottom. I stopped by the salvage yard to pick up a small bracket today and looked at a trashed hood that was peeled apart.
The hood was painted after the pieces were put together. No doubt about this at all. Normally hidden pieces were badly rusted and normally seen parts still had paint on them.

Attachments

• hood hole.jpg
    hood hole.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 52

rvrtrash

miller511 said:
Paul,

My hood shows hole saw marks (partial circular) from the underside where it touches the upper skin. This indicates (to me) that the two pieces were assembled before holes were drilled. Maybe they were less careful on some hoods when they punched through with the hole saw?

-Jeff

Mine is the same.

Steve

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

nfrntau said:
Here's another photo that shows the burs on both top and bottom. I stopped by the salvage yard to pick up a small bracket today and looked at a trashed hood that was peeled apart.
The hood was painted after the pieces were put together. No doubt about this at all. Normally hidden pieces were badly rusted and normally seen parts still had paint on them.

Nfrntau--I really appreciate your dedication--and attention to details to answer my question. Everything we do helps everyone else.

Thank you very much for your help!

Paul N.