• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Wanted: S-code 1967 HCS Project car

classicsguy

I know this is a long shot but if there is one out there,this is the best site to look for one. Any condition will be considered. If you know of one please let me know. I am not even sure if they made them with a 390 ci engine.

hicountrybob

Yep, Ford made '67 HCS Mustangs with the "S" code engines. I have in the registry 4 coupes, 2 fastbacks, and 3 convertibles, with "S" code engines. Total so far is 9 cars. Also quite uncommon is the number count for the "A" code (289-4V) ie. 2 coupes, 1 fastback and 5 convertibles, total so far is 8 cars. PS. the '67 HCS on ebay is the REAL deal and it is in the registry. How offen do we see '66 or '67 as well as '68 HCS cars for sale, anyway, with ANY size engine? hicountry Bob here.

OP
OP
C

classicsguy

Thanks HiCountryBob for the information on the HCS. I am sure it will be useful to the HCS fans from this site,and also hope for me to find one.
Regarding the one on E bay I am waiting for advise regarding price. It looks like the real deal! Pretty nice project car!

Mosesatm

[quote author=classicsguy link=board=3;threadid=2247;start=0#msg15402 date=1129260455]

Regarding the one on E bay I am waiting for advise regarding price. It looks like the real deal! Pretty nice project car!
[/quote]

Ok, I'll start the discussion.

It is my belief that, in the current market, mainly due to the fact that very few people know what HCS Mustangs are, their value is only slightly higher than a normal Mustang of the same year and in the same shape, exlusive of the '68s.

Now, that is a pretty harsh statement and I understand that logic tells us that due to their rarity they should be much more valuable, but that rarity, or more precicely "obscurity" is exactly why there is a very limited market for them. I also think that most people who have an interest in HCSs already have one and are not looking for another.

Now that I've irritated all the HCS enthusiasts let me add that I think the value of original or extremely well restored HCSs will eventually increase significantly, well beyond that of ordinary Mustangs, but it will take time for the general public, and even the Mustang community to understand that the cars exist.

None of the above ranting answers the question of the value of the one on eBay so to tie it all together I'd say that the value of the one on eBay, right now, is maybe 10% or so mroe than a normal Mustang in the same shape. The value also depends on whether or not you want to restore it to original. Maybe WORTH $6,000 to restore as a driver or a restomod? Maybe WORTH $7,500 to restore back to original for showing?

Anyone else?

Mustanger

Regarding pricing, 3 things are important to any Mustang, collector car, or even any collectable:

1) rarity,
2) condition, and
3) market (buyer) demand

Theoretically, the more rare and the more pristine a vintage Mustang is, the higher the dollar value, right?? But (I hate to say this) if Joe Public is willing to pay big bucks for an Eleanor Clone while overlooking a concourse one-of-a-kind HCS, then point number 3 of the list above is really the most important factor when it comes to pricing :(.

68gt390

Arlie;
Where in the world did you come up with your figures for restoration? $6000.00 to restore to driver status and maybe $7,500.00 to original? I've put that much and maybe more into mine and I'm not even done yet. And that's doing a lot of the work myself. I'm now getting ready to redo my engine again to gain a little more power and I'm looking at on the low side around $4000.00 to $5000.00 for that (engine work I don't do).
Heck if you stop to think about it, you can spend that much alone on paint.

Don ???

case12

On my 66 convertible, which was ranked good when I bought it (it won local trophies), I have put another $16k into it to get it to show quality. And that is not concourse. And it still needs a new paint job (I have a 3 footer paint job right now - looks excellent from 3 feet away). The old adage "it is cheaper to buy it from someone who has already resorted it" is certainly true. I don't plan to get my money back out of what I spent - But, it is a fun hobby. Casey

Mosesatm

[quote author=68gt390 link=board=3;threadid=2247;start=0#msg15420 date=1129299968]
Arlie;
Where in the world did you come up with your figures for restoration? $6000.00 to restore to driver status and maybe $7,500.00 to original? I've put that much and maybe more into mine and I'm not even done yet. And that's doing a lot of the work myself. I'm now getting ready to redo my engine again to gain a little more power and I'm looking at on the low side around $4000.00 to $5000.00 for that (engine work I don't do).
Heck if you stop to think about it, you can spend that much alone on paint.

Don ???
[/quote]

Sorry, poorly written.

What I meant was that I'd be willing to pay $6000 for that car if I was going to use it as a driver but if I was going to restore it into a show car in original condition I'd be willing to pay more because the value of a perfectly restored HCS will eventually be significantly more than the value of a perfectly restored ordinary coupe. That's why I'd be willing to pay $7,500 for it for that purpose. I know it's weird logic but it works for me.

coloradoHCS

The 67 on e-bay seems pretty solid. I would think that a fully restored 66-67 HCS would bring $15-$18K. One in that condition, knowing money spent on restoration would not be fully recoverable at time of sale, should bring $4-$5K. Serious rust would drop that price.

Not sure these bring much more than a standard coupe. Like Arlie states maybe 10%. (NADA has no value listed for the HCS option in 66 or 67). Should be more... but who knows about these cars outside of this site and the western US?

I think a person would would spend $15K plus many hours of weekend time restoring the car, therefore total $ investement = $20K??

Mark.

hookedtrout

[quote author=Mustanger link=board=3;threadid=2247;start=0#msg15415 date=1129299250]
Regarding pricing, 3 things are important to any Mustang, collector car, or even any collectable:

1) rarity,
2) condition, and
3) market (buyer) demand

Theoretically, the more rare and the more pristine a vintage Mustang is, the higher the dollar value, right?? But (I hate to say this) if Joe Public is willing to pay big bucks for an Eleanor Clone while overlooking a concourse one-of-a-kind HCS, then point number 3 of the list above is really the most important factor when it comes to pricing :(.

[/quote]

I would add that you missed one thing, options, the options that a particular car has can be the single most important factor in the value of the car. You see trashed cars with the right options sell for more than simple cars with no options in good shape. This could be considered a part of the rarity I guess but it can also be a separate issue as in the Blue car with Red interior. Rare but no value added.

Cory

Mosesatm

[quote author=ColoradoHCS link=board=3;threadid=2247;start=0#msg15426 date=1129306148]
The 67 on e-bay seems pretty solid. I would think that a fully restored 66-67 HCS would bring $15-$18K. One in that condition, knowing money spent on restoration would not be fully recoverable at time of sale, should bring $4-$5K. Serious rust would drop that price.

Not sure these bring much more than a standard coupe. Like Arlie states maybe 10%. (NADA has no value listed for the HCS option in 66 or 67). Should be more... but who knows about these cars outside of this site and the western US?

I think a person would would spend $15K plus many hours of weekend time restoring the car, therefore total $ investement = $20K??

Mark.
[/quote]

Mark, that falls right in line with what our car+restoration prices have been. We all seem to end up spending a total of $20,000 to $25,000 before we're done. As stated before; the only way to break that cycle is to buy a car that has been mostly restored, at a good price, and then finish it up. Even that scenario would probably end up somewhere between $16,000 and $20,000.

Most of us even spend money to replace parts that are perfectly good just because we're addicted, or too picky.

68gt390

I don't know how the rest of the folks look at it but, just the fact that it's a big block 390 makes it worth restoring to me. GT/CS, HCS or just a plain mustang. Any big block is worth saving. ;D

Don

coloradoHCS

Arlie/Don, yes it is a c-code car. A big block in my opinion changes everything. I think a 390 big block coupe would be bring what...$7-10K in the condition shown? Probably over $25 restored? Mark.

390cs68rcode

[quote author=68gt390 link=board=3;threadid=2247;start=0#msg15441 date=1129320719]
I don't know how the rest of the folks look at it but, just the fact that it's a big block 390 makes it worth restoring to me. GT/CS, HCS or just a plain mustang. Any big block is worth saving. ;D

Don
[/quote]

I agree.

Jason Stevens
NOS CEO

68MustangHCS

My opinion...Don't slap me GT/CS owners...please? I think that any year HCS matched against a equal coupe, fastback, convertible, or GT/CS in equal condition, equal options, and equal power should fetch 20%-30% more in value regardless of NADA values. I base this on it's rarity.

I'd put any HCS' ratio up against any mustang produced between 66 and 73 and I'll bet it comes out on top everytime!

My opinion only, I think the HCS mustangs are probably the rarest series cars produced....were talking a few hundred per year... Maybe Aston Martin has a rarer series?

390cs68rcode

Yes, but you have to have someone that will pay for rarity.

I had a 2001 Mercedes SL600 it was 1 of 237 made. No one wanted to pay extra because it was rare when I sold it. See my signature line as well.

sometimes rarity does not mean more valuable. just an opinion.