• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Numbers Matching

hookedtrout

In another forum that I belong to there is a big discussion about numbers matching cars. Where can a person find the definition of a numbers matching car. The rules to qualify, a step by step break down.

Thanks, Cory

Calspecialdreamer

Trout,

We had a real good discussion about this a few months back. Many believe if you change the "Heads" on an engine, it is not a numbers matching car, and "technically" I believe the same way. However, I would consider it numbers matching as long as the number stamped in the engine block is the same as the "consecutive number" on the VIN. I also consider numbers matching to be MUCH more valuable than a car that doesn't. We may disagree on the price difference, but I believe we all agree on a numbers matching car being more valuable. In the end, it is what the buyer is willing to pay! But to answer your question, I would go to "google.com" and type in your question.

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

I've done several searches including google and can't find any definitive answer. Several sights with someone's opinion (all varying) but no official this is the definition. I'm almost of the opinion it is a term that has developed through the sale end of the car collecting and really doesn't have any roots or foundation to stand on. To some it is just an engine thing, to others it goes as deep as the alternator needing to be numbers matching. To some it means the original motor that came with the car, to others it means a motor of the same type and year irregardless if it is the same one that was in the car when it rolled off the assembly line.

I'd like to believe that it means the engine that came with the car but I'm starting to believe it is what ever you want it to be because there really isn't any "RULE" on being a matching numbers car. At least not that I can search out or dig up. If anyone knows the history on where Matching Numbers originated and where it is "Written" I'd like to know.

Thanks, Cory

If you want an authority on this subject you have to go to the Mustang Club of America (MCA) their a non-profit org, web site http://www.mustang.org// and look at the Judging manuals (these are available to members) the certify the most of shows in the United states and the rest of the world. Obvisouly the concurs class is where every number has to match. And of course the sellling price is accordingly higher for a concours certifed winner or particpant in that class. Gold card judges are available to look at your car (usually cost$ and you have to be a member).