• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Left side rear lights

gt bandit

Hello ,

i recently replaced my brake switch and fitted a Mini Tach

Now i have NO lights on my L/H rear assembly. I have lost all Brake, Tail and indicator lights.

Any Ideas what i have done ?????

need help urgently please .

shaun

robert campbell

Shaun,
Wow!! Cars are so much fun sometimes. I assume everything was ok before you started?

The brake light switch has one hot wire and on not hot wire. It does nothing more than connect the two wires together when it is “actuated”. Push the button in and the brake lights come on. You can also have someone stand behind and just touch the two wires together. You can’t hook them up wrong on the switch.

Did you maybe pop a fuse during the switch out?? Under the dash it is easy to hit that hot-wire on a piece of metal somewhere. If you did a bunch of things could happen. The light switch that turns on the headlights is in the circuit. The turn signal switch is the most likely thing to be harmed. It is fun to replace by the way. I typed some decent instructions in a post not long ago. I will see if I can find it. If it is hurt all sorts of weird things will happen. I replaced mine in 1989, and last year my left side brake lights went out. Yes the turn signal switch was the culprit.

I am assuming that the mini tach hookup should not be involved. Although, did you look for a light source for it? Best to take it off one of the dash lights. Did you have the complete cluster out to do this?

Rob

OP
OP
gt bandit

gt bandit

thanks rob

it really is troubling me - all other signals , lamps etc are okay - just the l/h rear assembly. its gotta be something simple , but it appears not.

OP
OP
gt bandit

gt bandit

Plot thickens

I now have tail lights - but NO indicator or Stop lights on the L/H rear.

Robert do you know what colour wires are the rear indicator lights ?

robert campbell

Orange with blue stripe right side. Green with red/orange stripe right side. Boy do those turn signal switches do what you are saying. they are the heart of this stuff.