• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Electronic Ignition

robynGTCS

Has anyone switched over to electronic egintion? I was told I should and that it will improve the performance. I have a 289 2v auto.

Sarge

Robyn,
I switched over and it did improve performance and a little on gas mileage (not that I worry about gas...) Also, I no longer have to mess with the points! Mine is a 302 with 4V auto.
Robert

rjw

Which one did you get? Didn't they come out with an improved version? And how much trouble was it to install?
Richard

Sarge

I went with an MSD Single Ignition Distributor, Blaster 2 Coil and 6AL Ignition (which has rev limiter control). They were fairly easy to put in once I understood the wiring diagrams (which took a little bit, but then again, I am no great mechanic). It took a little longer to get the timing dialed in, and I am still working on that a little at a time. :p
Robert

-=MUSTANG=-

Check out www.pertronix.com under their ignitor electronic ignition. No points, fits under the stock distributor cap. I know of a number of people who use this on their classic mustangs, They are happy with increased reliability and factory look.

Sarge

I did check out the pertronix, and if keeping that "factory look" is big for you, then this is the way to go. I personally wanted a little more, so went the longer route. ;) And, of course, kept all of my stock parts.....
Robert

carvensno

if you want to keep the stock look with the dist., go to the junk yard and get the base plate from a 85 ford granada, then goto napa and get the new little module that goes inside and the new armanter and then use the msd 6 w/ blaster coil.

Thats what i did on my CS when i had it, made a big difference in the winter time, start up on the first crank :p

i paid about 5.00 bucks for the base plate at the junk yard, and another 30.00 bucks at napa for the 2 parts, then the price for the msd parts.

that pentronics thing is like doing it half a$$ to me, going to do something, do it right the first time, but hey thats me!! :p

-=MUSTANG=-

Yeah, 85 granada parts from the junk yard, sounds first class all the way.

Auto electronics have come a long way in 19 years, I'd rather save an afternoon running around to junkyards and auto parts stores, as well as the time needed to rebuild the distributor and have an up to date, reliable ignition with a warranty dropped off at my doorstep, but hey that's me.

carvensno

thats if you want to keep the stock look tho, and i was just giving a alternative way, not all people have 500-600.00 for a new ignition system.

also im one of those people that dont mind getting there hands dirty and like working on my own car!

the base plate is the only junk yard part and it's not that hard to clean up, unless you want to pay about 30-35.00 at ford and it only took me a whole 2 hours to get the parts together, and another 1 hour to convert it the dist. over.

let's see, if you leave at 9-10am + 2 hrs=home by NOON time, well i dont see spending a afternoon in that ;D

as far as a warrenty, since about the only thing to go out is the module, take it back to napa and get a new one!

this is the way i did it, because i wanted the stock look with the performance of having a full Electronic Ignition system. :p

-=MUSTANG=-

1 GT/CS, True enough. I also enjoy the work. The pertronix ignition is around $100.00, that seems like a good price for a little hotter spark, added reliability, and no more maintenance on the points. My point on the warranty was the 30 month on the pertronix unit, auto parts store usually don't warranty electronic parts. Regardless, two good ways to improve the point type ignition systems on our favorites cars.

Jay

68sunlitgold

If anyone wants me to send them a scanned copy (2 pages), the May/June issue of Hemmings Mustang Market & Tech Guide has an article on modernizing your ignition. A very good article that give a couple of options.

Doug