• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

is it worth it?

stang32

I have the opportunity to purchase a GT/CS & am not sue if it is worth the money.
the car was restored several years ago & is in great shape, that is untill the women who owns it backed into a pole.
it damaged the bumper,trunk lid, the end cap, the tail light assy, the metal tail panel but did not damage the gas tank or support.
the car was originally whimbelton white but is now light blue, the interior is blue(original color)
the car is a 289 w/c4 tran. no a/c, no console
the car had the fog lamps removed during the resto & never reinstalled. the hood is missing the hood locks. looks like they replaced the hood wit ha regular signal light hood.
the car has a marty report confirming its authenticity & the car is in Cali. floors are solid, car looks great other than the damage in the rear.
the owner has a line on a person with the rear parts for 600 dollars.
they want 9,000.00 for the car.

Attachments

• 000_0144.JPG
    000_0144.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 000_0150.JPG
    000_0150.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 47

Mosesatm

Unless the car is rust free and the rest of it is in perfect shape I think $9,000 might be a little on the high side for a 289 2V auto without air.

Does the owner have a bid from a body shop on what it will cost to fix the damage or were you thinking of fixing it yourself? The painter will need to be extremely good because that light blue paint will be difficult to match.

Steve and Kelly are our resident body shop expert. What do you guys think?

390cs68rcode

i did a estimate on fixing this damage on a thread a few months ago. I think I came up with at least 4-5k worth of damage. You can find better for cheaper in the long run on Ebay, keep looking.

68gt390

She must have hit that pole pretty hard to cause that kind of damage. :cry: NADA shows' the following:
Low Retail: $7,525, Avg Retail: $13,650 and High Retail: $26,000. With that kind of damage and no fog lights, wrong hood, and no striping on the car I would say some where in the range of low retail would be a good starting point and work from there. If they want to do the body work and repair the car then maybe $9,000 based on the fact you'll still have to replace hood, fog lights and striping on the car. Is the grille correct on the car? If not there's some more to deal with. I don't know about anybody else but, I would look for a more complete car without that kind of damage. Again, it depends on what you want. I'm not a body person but, would say there may be in the area of at least $2500 to $3500 worth of body damage if not more. The car was on ebay not to long ago with the same damage.

Don

Mosesatm

I agree Don.

The big question for me is what condition will the car be in once the rear damage is fixed. Is the rest of the car so pristine that it will be a $25,000 car or does the rest of it still need to be restored so we'd be talking about a car worth only $10,000 once it's fixed? If it still needs a ton of work then there are better cars to start with.

Personally, I don't like cars that have been painted a different color and would place a lower value on it for that point. It takes a lot of work to change the color back to original.

If the buyer wants a Brittany Blue GT/CS (which I think is a great color, and rare color) I think there is still one for sale by a member on this board.

OP
OP
S

stang32

would the car be worth it for 7,000?
are those hood locks not available still?

Mosesatm

I think Tony Branda www.cobranda.com or NPD sells the hood locks. In fact all the parts are available, or can be easily made, but they will probably be reproductions. Personally, I think reproduction parts are fine. Are the rear parts the the owner can get original Ford parts or reproductions?

Bob Teets sells the fog light supports and I have a number of good Lucas fog lights. I am also working on making a GT/CS grille from a '67 grille. It's very simple and would be happy to explain how to do it if you need a grille.

Is there any rust under the car? If there is no rust, the car runs well, and there is really nothing else to fix or spend money on except the damaged area it sure seems like it's worth $7,000 but it all depends on what the body shop will charge to repair the damage and shoot the color. If the body shop charges $3,000 I'd certainly buy it for $7,000 but if they charge $6,000 you're getting into a gray area if you are concerned about not spending more than the car is worth on the open market.

From what I've seen on eBay a nice, presentable, good driver condition GT/CS with a 289 2V and auto will fetch around $15,000. Now, if this is just the coolest car you've ever seen and don't care what it is worth on the open market right now then it's really up to you to decide what the value of the car is to you. I'll bet some of us on this site have paid more than the published fair-market-value for our cars but don't regret a penny of it.

68gt390

Well said Arlie. If they are willing to take $7,000 for the car, I'd go for it since it is a documented GT/CS. Based on the information you've already posted on the condition of the car and if you don't plan on selling the car right away, I think it would be a great investment. But, again as Arlie has stated it's all about what you want in the car. Myself, either way I don't see how you could go wrong.

Don :cool:

Mosesatm

One other thing no one has mentioned yet is that the wheels are incorrect. They are '67 styled steel wheels. They look nice but if you are interested in authenticity you may want to change them.

OP
OP
S

stang32

well the wheels is a bonus for me, I need 67 SS wheels for another project & I have a set of 68 chrome GT weels on the shelf

68gt390

That works for me. I prefer the chrome over the argent painted wheels myself. I have both styles, chrome on my GT/CS and Argent painted wheels on my GT.

Don

Attachments

• 68 GT5.JPG
    68 GT5.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 68GTCS.jpg
    68GTCS.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 30

Mosesatm

stang32 said:
well the wheels is a bonus for me, I need 67 SS wheels for another project & I have a set of 68 chrome GT weels on the shelf

Are you going to make an offer on the GT/CS?

Mosesatm

Nope. Just hoping that another GT/CS finds a good home and gets restored.

PFSlim

That is a good point Arlie. If the rear end of this car is too much to fix, then it gets trashed. I can tell you this car (even with the damage) is in much better shape than ours before we started our restoration. Once again, I hate to see the thing get trashed and would rather see it restored. (this comes from a guy who has way to much money in the restoration of a 289 car but would not trade it for anything in the world)

Just my thoughts.

Paul

Mosesatm

Couldn't agree more Paul.

A few weeks ago I remembered that I bought a GT/CS parts car way back in the early '80s and (sorry for this) sold it to a wrecking yard after I took the 302 4V, 4-speed, and rear deck off it. The deck lid ended up on my clone.

It was a good solid car, and it went like stink, but it was a little beat up.

A 4-speed J-code to the wrecking yard......Oh, the stupidity of youth.

Next time I'm in that area I'm going to go to the wrecking yard and see if I can find it. If I find it and it's not restorable I'll at least get the VIN off it and the GT/CS parts. Hopefully it hasn't been crushed.

We gotta save them whenever we can.

Mustanglvr

:icon_mist Like, you really think its going to still be there Arlie after all these years? :icon_dead You might as well go down there and leave a memorial for it. It will be in my thoughts and prayers.:cry: :wink:

68gt390

I'm getting ready to make a run down to Southern Ohio to see if I can locate a parts car (GT/CS) that one of our maintenance guys told me about earlier this week. From what he told me the car has been sitting in this old barn for sometime and he thinks (from a recent trip there) it is still there. I'll keep my fingers crossed. If I should be lucky enough to find it I'm also going to get the VIN off of it.

Don