• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Hood to Cowl Moulding

Gregpet

I purchased new hood to cowl moulding and am about to install it. The new moulding includes small plastic "screws" but the old moulding seems to be glued on...I don't want to start ripping out the old moulding until I know what I'm in for (especially after my last round with the side windows!)

Can someone that has replaced their moulding please give me just a quick brief on the best way to remove the old moulding and replace it with the new...

Thanks in advance!

Greg

Mosesatm

Are you asking about the rubber hood to cowl seal?

If so, those little push pins things work OK but I like to also use weatherstrip adhesive.

franklinair

When I replaced the cowl seal in my convert, I just used the plastic clips/screws, but you have make a small slit in the bottom of the seal and insert the plastic pieces into the cowl seal (after measuring the positions to correlate to the holes in the cowl). It worked OK that way, but when I do my C/S I will also use the adhesive to secure it. I believe by doing it this way it will be possible to get the seal in a more straight & secure line.

Neil

OP
OP
Gregpet

Gregpet

So it sounds like an either/or...Either use the pins or adhesive? Was adhesive use originally? Thanks!

franklinair

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think adhesive was used originally (production cost control). I use both, the the plastic pins & contact glue (in a very thin line). It allows for a neater, more straight line installation of the seal.

Neil

Mosesatm

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think adhesive was used originally (production cost control). I use both, the the plastic pins & contact glue (in a very thin line). It allows for a neater, more straight line installation of the seal.

Neil

The cowl is drilled for the pins so I assume they were originally used.