• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Trunk Weatherstrip

ablesd

Almost a year ago I had new weatherstripping installed. I assumed the one sold by Scott Drake for the standard 68 coupe would also work for the CA Special fiberglass trunk. However, after installing it, the trunk would not close without also installing a one-eighth inch shim on the latch. Of course, my trunk now has a very noticable gap. The installer thought this problem would correct itself after the rubber seal settled down, but it has not.

Did I use the wrong seal? Is there one specific to the CA Special? If so I would appreciate knowing where I could buy one. If there isn't one specific to the CA Special, is there a way to make this one work?

Thanks,

Ruppstang

There is certainly is a difference. I started with a Drake for a 67-68 Mustang and could not even get close to closing the trunk. I then tryed a Carpenter 67-68 Mustang seal. I got it to close but was not happy with the lid to end cap alinement. I took the car to a freind who rebuilds Shelbys. He said I needed to use a 68 Shelby convertible seal. He explained that you need a softer seal for the fiberglass deck lid. Mine fits perfectly now.
You can get them at Tony Branda. Good luck Marty

Mosesatm

Attachments

• Foam Tape 2.jpg
    Foam Tape 2.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 112
  • Foam Tape 3.jpg
    Foam Tape 3.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 117
  • Foam Tape.jpg
    Foam Tape.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 104
OP
OP
A

ablesd

Trunk Weatherstripping

There is certainly is a difference. I started with a Drake for a 67-68 Mustang and could not even get close to closing the trunk. I then tryed a Carpenter 67-68 Mustang seal. I got it to close but was not happy with the lid to end cap alinement. I took the car to a freind who rebuilds Shelbys. He said I needed to use a 68 Shelby convertible seal. He explained that you need a softer seal for the fiberglass deck lid. Mine fits perfectly now.
You can get them at Tony Branda. Good luck Marty

Thank you Marty. I checked the Tony Branda website and think I found what you reccomended, but there was not photo available, just this description: "1968-70 Shelby Convertible Trunk Lid Weatherstripping", cost $21.95. Is this the right one? Before placing my order I would appreciate your advice.
Thanks,
Doyle Ables:

Ruppstang

Yes that is the one. It is the same profile as the Mustang one but has more holes in it making it less dense. All so if you want to be concours correct use the yellow weather strip adhesive and the joint goes in the center rear.

68gulfstream

They've got Frost King weatherstripping foam tape. Size is close: 3/4" wide by 5/16" thick. So it's a little thick. I guess I could slice off the extra thickness with a utility knife.

Tequila

I was wondering what would be the purpose of adding this foam tape to the trunk lid. I didn't see any contact points under the trunk spoiler section, when looking from the side with the edge cap removed and trunk lid closed. Just curious. Thanks.

Ruppstang

There are no trunk lid bumpers, the tape provides protection from paint chips.

68P51

I would like to second what Ruppstang said about using the proper weatherstrip. The standard 1967-1968 mustang weatherstrip is not correct and does not work well. At least on my car it didn't. I'm no MCA judge and don't know what was originally on the car but am speaking from my own experience on one car.

I tried the standard mustang weatherstrip that is shaped like a u-channel with one side longer than the other. The trunk was very difficult to shut and stuck up higher than the end caps. Through much research and reading many misinformed threads, this is the only one I could find that got it right.

I ordered the 1968-1970 Shelby Convertible Trunk Lid Weatherstrip (Part WS106) from Branda. It was $21.95. It worked great! It is manufactured by Daniel Carpenter Mustang. The small side is what is glued to the decklid. I believe that thin part at the top of the "V" is what may collapse around the seam on the car when the trunk is closed, which allows more compression.

Thank you Ruppstang!

Attachments

• IMG_5318.jpg
    IMG_5318.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5319.jpg
    IMG_5319.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 34

TexAg

I'd like to re-install mine using the correct weatherstripping. What's the best way to get the old adhesive off of the paint?

Mosesatm

Adhesive remover and a fingernail, or other soft scraper. Any auto parts store, or hardware store, should carry the remover. Usually in a pint can.

68P51

Good question. I just put it over the old adhesive since it was only a few months old and was from the same tube. Probably not the most correct way but it works and you can’t tell unless you peel it off.