• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Picking Your Brains: GT/CS Paint Codes

P

PNewitt

I have a GT/CS Mustang paint question for you. It's for the Restoration part of the book.....and I need to pick your brains to be sure that I got it all (??). Pull out your Mustang books and resto guides...!!

I'll have the proper, current color codes (including hopefully the water-based paint codes) for the following parts of the ('68) GT/CS:

- Exterior
- CS grille & supports, lucas pedistals (Dk. Grey Met.)
- Side scoop black vinyl specs
- Cobra Jet hood black & specs
- Louvered hood black
- Accent stripe colors
- Interior, dash, steering wheel, windshield pillars (inner), doors, inner qtr. panels.
- Engine Bay
- Engine
- Natural Metal color or clear coating
- Black for suspension
- Underside primer
- 3rd member primer
- Rear Axle, springs black color
- Suspension parts colors
- paint dabs on drive shaft, suspension parts, etc.
- colors for inspection rubber stamps

and!

- spray on vinyl top
- body shutz (insulation)
- undercoating
- any spray on glues and sticky stuff for door panel paper, etc...
- (aftermarket) Chrome paint for Taillight reflectors
- Green Hornet Exterior Color
- Little Red Exterior Color
- '66-67 HCS exterior color codes

What am I missing??

And...do the late model owners want something simular?

thanks!
Paul.

murf104

Since you asked: starting at the bottom. Do you want to include the correct color and mix # for the GT wheels? Do you want to deal with the manner in which the inner side of the GT wheels may have been black and show signs of argent overspray on them? That they may have had a paint daub or mark on them indicating something to aid in tire mounting or assembly? Do you want to mention the paint mix for the black on the factory wheels where full hubcaps were used (were the wheels gloss black or a semigloss black - if semi gloss please include the paint mix or level of flattener. How about the color of the wheels on cars equipped with "poverty" or as some call them "dog dish" hub caps. Were they the same color as the exterior of the Mustang? Do you want research both the width and the position realative to the edge of the wheel for the thin whitewall tire used on the GT cars? How about the use of raised white letter tires? Tire brand or brands used as original issue? Width of whitewall on regular WW tires used with steel wheels and hubcaps. Tire sizes available? Color of red used on the GT enblems on the GT wheels. Were the chrome slotted wheels available and used on the 68 CS cars? What length were the valve stems? Were Dill valve stem caps used on 68 Mustangs? Can you include images of the original valve stems and caps? Can you provide good, clear images of the original stainless steel trim ring used on the GT wheels? Compare them to the reproduction now being sold -in detail? Spare tire details, such as how they were anchored in the trunk - be specific about the differerent mounting parts for the GT wheel and the black standard wheel, also include the different jacking instruction sticker used for cars with the GT wheel showing part number's stamped on jacking instruction sheet. Will you provide an image of the "j" hook used with slotted GT wheels? Will you provide an image of the differences in the spare tire hold down plates used on the GT cars vs the hold down plate used on "hubcap" type wheels. Can you show the difference in the way the jack is stowed on the cars with regular wheels Vs the jack stoward on cars with the slotted wheels? Can you provide an image of the writing and other graphics that were always on the tread area of the spare tire (normally some numbers and some stripes running radially around the circumfrence of the tire)? And what about radial tire availability on the CS?
Well, that is probably enough about just the tires and wheels, and I hope that you either have or are will be able to address each of these questions in your new book.

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Thanks, Murf!

Fantastic suggestions!
This is the calibre of comments I'm looking for. Thank you so much! I have a screen grab of your comments and will go over them with Jeff Speegle in detail.

I did forget to include wheel paint. I should include the jack and handle parts, too.

--VERY much appreciated!
Paul N.

murf104

Paul, it is good that you are considering some or all of these for inclusion in your book.
There are proably many who frequent this forum who will be glad to provide you with information and/or images of many details. We all appreciate what you have published up to this point and you have been the force that has made the CS cars recognized and a legitimate part of Mustang history. As the cars are more recognized and become more collectable more details will be discovered and restorations of CS cars will become more accurate. We all owe you plenty for the research you are doing.

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

I sure appreciate the support!

My intent is to have the restoration and authenticity sections so complete that you could completely pull a CS apart and then know what is what, what color it is, and where it goes. Kinda like old AMT car kit instruction sheets!

What may happen is that when Mustangers see a restored CS show up at a car show, then wonder if it's going to be a winner, or at least VERY competitive (i.e. "uh-oh, there's a GT/CS coming...those guys know their stuff")....

LOL

Paul N.

murf104

One more area of confusion about the 68 cars that might be of interest to your readers. There has been lots written about the rear end used with the "J" code engine when purchased in conjunction with the "GT" package. Disregard the fact that all CS cars also have the GT designation, this is about only those cars which were equipped with the GT package as verified by a Marti report. Did the GT option cars have a nine inch rear end or were they equipped with the eight inch just like any other "J" code 68 Mustang? This question comes up in just aout every discussion about the odd things that Ford did during this time frame. Was the single tube VS the double tube rubber insulated driveshaft in any way connected with the rear end used? Maybe others on this forum will be able to help with the solution.

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

You've come up with some pretty amazing questions....I definately need to get with Jeff Speegle (and others) to chase down some answers.

I'm trying to think if a 4bbl 302 "required' a nine inch. That would be reflected in the production numbers and in the stack of over 300 Marti reports I have.

Ask away! Thanks again!

Paul.

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Thanks, Steve!

I'm including ALL the exterior paint codes for the '07-'09 GT/CSs, as well as any detailing and wheel paint....and I'm including the side stripe application dimentions for the late model CS, too.

Paul N.

nfrntau

Heavy duty suspension versus non- heavy duty suspension. Differences if any for the small block cars versus big block cars.
Fronts - Unsprung coil length and diameter (overall and of the coil stock) as well as pound rating and paint daubs if any apply. Differences in sway bars and markings, bar diameter, shape.
Rear - number of leafs (correct terminology?) paint markings?
Shock absorbers? - mine were gold in color

My car has the small block and the heavy duty suspension. The paint markings on the rear leafs are still there, I still have the shocks and can check them for numbers, the paint daubs are still on the sway bar.

I can help with any of this information if needed.
Bill

J_Speegle

Rear - number of leafs (correct terminology?) paint markings?
Shock absorbers? - mine were gold in color

For the rear springs it might be easier to match them up with the spring (engineering numbers ) rather than application but we'll have to see.

As for shock absorbers - sounds like someone replaced the originals with service replacements which were gold in color.

Paul - Rear springs were not painted black and very little of the suspension had black paint on them (only Lower A arms come to mind quickly)

Just used a good product for redoing the reflective surface on the rear taillight panel - was impressed of the results with this rattle can)

Also -currently working on those things we spoke of - sorry it took some time to finish my other clients reports and recommendations before I moved on to your project. Shhhhh ;)

nfrntau

Thanks Jeff

The numbers on the gold shocks are
Front - J-778 made in USA P04A76
Rear - L-808 made in USA P3E76

The paint daubs in order of the photos
Rear spring, Front spring, Drive shaft, Front Sway

It looks like the paint daubs on the springs are the same colors for front and back.
I can get the numbers if needed but it will have to wait until the weekend.

Attachments

• DSCF0038.jpg
    DSCF0038.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCF0039.jpg
    DSCF0039.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCF0022.jpg
    DSCF0022.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCF0035.jpg
    DSCF0035.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 20

GTCSMustang

Nice pictures. I believe that the original Mustang shocks would be painted black, but Jeff would know for sure.

Scott

J_Speegle

Thanks Jeff

The numbers on the gold shocks are
Front - J-778 made in USA P04A76
Rear - L-808 made in USA P3E76

Originals would have been stamped with AUTOLITE and since its a San Jose car typically (but not always) MADE IN USA then engineering numbers and stuff and then painted semi gloss black

The paint daubs in order of the photos
Rear spring, Front spring, Drive shaft, Front Sway

It looks like the paint daubs on the springs are the same colors for front and back.
I can get the numbers if needed but it will have to wait until the weekend.

Interesting paint marks (have about 600 in my records so far) But I can not relate them to others without knowing eng, trans, GT-non GT, AC?, PS< and when the car was built. Any change in these vaiables changes one or more of these marks.

Thanks for the pictures and look forward to anything else you wish to share

clubpro

Jeff,

Just a note to say thanks for being there for us! We are very lucky to have someone with your knowledge and experience. I hope everyone on this site understands how lucky we are to have you as part of the family.

Cheers,

Ron

73pony

Paul, I have the dealer guide for the 2007 GT/CS with colors and options would you like me to send you a copy? John

J_Speegle

Jeff,

Just a note to say thanks for being there for us! We are very lucky to have someone with your knowledge and experience. I hope everyone on this site understands how lucky we are to have you as part of the family.

Cheers,

Ron

Ron thanks for the kind words but they are necessary. Just happy to help and to offer experiances so that others can benefit.

Not always right (or perfect) but always willing to assist ;)

nfrntau

Jeff here is the information on my car. If I can add anything just let me know.
Thanks, I too appreciate your sharing.
That shock thing was news to me.

Cheers

Attachments

• Marti Report.jpg
    Marti Report.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 21