• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Well, I just bought the "7 million in gold and 1 GT/CS" car

Forsche

This car has been discussed on this forum. Here is a link to one of the articles.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/7-million-gold-found-house-nevada-recluse-140706645.html

I have a few bad pics but took a real risk here in buying it. Have not seen the car. I got a Marti report and the car is an original GT/CS. Now I need to figure out how I get the car back to atlanta. Deciding on shipping or getting the car in roadworthy shape there and attempting a road trip. I'll keep you informed!

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Congrats! (Hopefully that still applies after you see it! :wink:)

How did you track down that car? I had searched (not too hard mind you) and never could find any photos of it in any of the news articles.

I'd check under the seats when you get it. Maybe the hoarder previous owner stashed a few extra gold coins in it!

OP
OP
F

Forsche

Congrats! (Hopefully that still applies after you see it! :wink:)

How did you track down that car? I had searched (not too hard mind you) and never could find any photos of it in any of the news articles.

I'd check under the seats when you get it. Maybe the hoarder previous owner stashed a few extra gold coins in it!

Thanks. I'll keep you all informed. I tracked down the car by contacting the County Clerk who was handling the estate. He was quoted in the articles so I emailed him and asked how they planned to sell the car. He said they were going to do an open auction so I just submitted my bid to him. No doubt a risk but what's life without a bit of risk and fun thrown in?!?

I'm shipping the car to a good friend in IL who owns an auto shop. He's currently doing his own barn find....a '68 Chevelle 396. He's going to let me know what I have and just how much I'd need to do. Of course my biggest concern is rot but hoping the car is in good shape.

Trust me, there will be no gold in the car. The County clerk told me they searched the house and property with metal detectors and I have a pic of the car where you can see they pulled the rear seat. Probably even took the quarters that were rightfully mine. : )

I was able to confirm that Walter Samaszko was the original owner. The county clerk is including a letter from him that the original title had Walter and his mother's names on it. Unfortunately they did not keep a copy of that title. They retitled after his death so the title that I'll get says "Estate of Walter Samaszko".

Should be interesting.....

Steve

Will send other pics when I get them. Here are a couple for now.

OP
OP
F

Forsche

Congratulations and best of luck! Keep us up to date on the progress!

Thanks, here's a couple of the only pics I got from the County Clerks office....and one of my '68 f100 : )

Attachments

• 041-2.jpg
    041-2.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 184
  • Samaszko Car-2.jpg
    Samaszko Car-2.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 166
  • 038-1.jpg
    038-1.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 158
  • 044.jpg
    044.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 177
  • 039.jpg
    039.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0594.jpg
    IMG_0594.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 119

candycal

Congratulations, looks like a nice car - love the bug deflector. :wink: Nothing beats a classic car with a story and you've sure got one. All the best with it.

OP
OP
F

Forsche

Congratulations, looks like a nice car - love the bug deflector. :wink: Nothing beats a classic car with a story and you've sure got one. All the best with it.

Yes, the bug deflector is a classic. I can't decide if I take it off or leave it on....just because it was part of the history. Frankly not sure I can stomach leaving it on.

Thanks for the nice comments about the car. Shipping is hopefully the end of next week. Will be shipping it to my good friend and mechanic in Illinois who will let me know what shape its in and what needs to be done. Then, assuming I don't have a basket case, we'll get it running and ship in on down to Atlanta.

Steve

stangfan

Here's a suggestion. Take a few pictures from different angles, showing the bug deflector, then take it off the car. Preserve it with anything else you remove as part of it's past. :grin:

I've never seen one of those on a Mustang before.

gt/csj4

Here's a suggestion. Take a few pictures from different angles, showing the bug deflector, then take it off the car. Preserve it with anything else you remove as part of it's past. :grin:

thats a real good idea. And that makes two of us (not pokingfun here) the last time a have seen a deflector like that was on my dads 76' f-100. ...Great truck :tongue:

Btw that pin stripe is curious, I don't believe I have ever seen a pin stripe that starts on the lower part of the 1/4 extensions and rises up then follows towards the front. Doesn't look bad, just different. I can see why they deleted the louvered hoods for CJ gt/cs and hcs cars... There is a lot going on with the scoop and vents together. I have given the car several looks and it looks to be in really good condition, the paint even looks to be in good condition ( Make sure to paint it red tho, DieselDonna still needs to remain the only cali thats lime gold :wink:)

OP
OP
F

Forsche

Thanks. I think there is a reason you've never seen one on a mustang before! Definitely will keep it if it comes off the car. Will take plenty of picture before that.

OP
OP
F

Forsche

thats a real good idea. And that makes two of us (not pokingfun here) the last time a have seen a deflector like that was on my dads 76' f-100. ...Great truck :tongue:

Btw that pin stripe is curious, I don't believe I have ever seen a pin stripe that starts on the lower part of the 1/4 extensions and rises up then follows towards the front. Doesn't look bad, just different. I can see why they deleted the louvered hoods for CJ gt/cs and hcs cars... There is a lot going on with the scoop and vents together. I have given the car several looks and it looks to be in really good condition, the paint even looks to be in good condition ( Make sure to paint it red tho, DieselDonna still needs to remain the only cali thats lime gold :wink:)

Thanks. It does look pretty clean but ya just never know. I'll be interested to check out that hood scoop. I suspect it's been on there for a long time. I understand that DieselDonna has the rights to Lime gold so will be ordering up a red re-paint as soon as I get it back here.

somethingspecial

I understand that DieselDonna has the rights to Lime gold so will be ordering up a red re-paint as soon as I get it back here.

Don't let these folks fool you. There are lots of GT/CSs Lime Gold. LOL Unless of course you truly want to repaint RED.

whodat

Wrong! Mine is Lime-Gold and I wouldn't change it.

whodat

So if you bought a Lime-Gold Shelby GT500KR would you change the color?

OP
OP
F

Forsche

Congratulations! You're in for a great experience :) The bug deflector seems a bit "damming" for the hoodscoop, however.

You might have said elsewhere, but I'm curious what it sold for...

Hadn't thought about the bug deflector and hood scoop combination...lol

As for price, I haven' mentioned for several reasons:
- I may not be ready to reveal the real sucker that I am
- I somehow want to know a bit more about the condition before I reveal that
-I know NOTHING about these cars and current pricing so I clearly was in over my head on this one. Good news is that I was well aware of this and decided "what the hell"

I will tell you I paid notably less than the $17k appraisal that they mentioned in the articles. What is a good range of prices for a car like this?

I'll commit to revealing the price at some point guys. For now, let me keep a bit of my pride : )