• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Well, I just bought the "7 million in gold and 1 GT/CS" car

OP
OP
F

Forsche

What are the dark discolorations on the bottom of the driver's door?

Neil

Mud and snow. So the first info is coming in on the car. Lots of pics. Many are close-ups so not great pics. Here is the first and real confusing thing though. Vin is missing. Take a look at the pic. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_1310.jpeg
    IMG_1310.jpeg
    104.5 KB · Views: 84
OP
OP
F

Forsche

Mud and snow. So the first info is going in on the car. Lots of pics. Many are close-ups so not great pics. Here is the first and real confusing thing though. Vin is missing. Take a look at the pic. Thoughts?

Inititial word back on the car is very clean. Very grimy and interior was not treated very well. Driver seat needs repair in a couple of places. No dash cracks, one spot of rust near shock mount. Need to give it a better look. Than VIN thing is really odd though. Gonna look for a build sheet. Where are they usually located?

somethingspecial

Chances of finding a build sheet are very slim. Usually in the back of one of the front seats, or rolled up around the underdash wiring loom. The VIN I would bet is there. San Jose cars had the vin stamped futher outboard, thus being covered by the fender, dispite the cutout. Remove the fender and you will find it. Also check on the Passenger side in the same location. Should be there as well. You can look upward from the wheel well and usually see the inverted dents from the VIN stamp.

OP
OP
F

Forsche

Chances of finding a build sheet are very slim. Usually in the back of one of the front seats, or rolled up around the underdash wiring loom. The VIN I would bet is there. San Jose cars had the vin stamped futher outboard, thus being covered by the fender, dispite the cutout. Remove the fender and you will find it. Also check on the Passenger side in the same location. Should be there as well. You can look upward from the wheel well and usually see the inverted dents from the VIN stamp.

Ah..that's helpful. I'll ask Paul to take a look. Thanks! More pics later tonight.

Steve

Ruppstang

Mud and snow. So the first info is coming in on the car. Lots of pics. Many are close-ups so not great pics. Here is the first and real confusing thing though. Vin is missing. Take a look at the pic. Thoughts?

The legal VIN plate is on the passenger windsheild base. As Mike said the consealed VINs are under the fenders. Marty

OP
OP
F

Forsche

Brake cooling?

So here is something else I didn't expect. I'm attaching a copy of the Marti report and a couple of pics. The Marti report shows "extra cooling". Does this refer to the side brake cooling ducts which I thought were not active on the GT/CS?. As you can see in the two pics there appears to be cooling vents in the wheel well and the pic of the side-vents looks like they may be real. Thoughts?

OP
OP
F

Forsche

pics related to previous post

Sorry, here are the pics. Didn't seem to load last time.

Attachments

• 8R01J160856_stdrpt-2.pdf
    119.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_9374.jpeg
    IMG_9374.jpeg
    120.3 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_3593.jpg
    IMG_3593.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_8389.jpeg
    IMG_8389.jpeg
    111 KB · Views: 80

stangfan

My guess is that the "extra cooling" option would be a larger radiator than normal. The scoops appear to be missing the mesh inserts.

OP
OP
F

Forsche

My guess is that the "extra cooling" option would be a larger radiator than normal. The scoops appear to be missing the mesh inserts.

But is the tubing at the from of the rear wheel well normal?

OP
OP
F

Forsche

Hood Scoop/Forced Air induction

As mentioned the car is still very filthy but thought I would post a couple more pics. Here are some under hood shots showing the dealer installed forced air induction. An oddity but somehow sort of cool that this recluse and his mother would have this added at the dealer. Notice what looks like the Cobra logo on the underside of the hood scoop.

Attachments

• IMG_9672.jpeg
    IMG_9672.jpeg
    134.8 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_5246.jpeg
    IMG_5246.jpeg
    167.7 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Forsche

Yes i think she did,because i asked him the same thing it seemed they had some odd things done to this car.I called Tim once about the scoop we were excited at first thought it was a big block i believe it was a 302-J code.The son never seemed to do anything to the car,even wash it. LOL. I always got a chuckle seeing the Bug screen on the front.I did check the Vin # at one time,and looked the car over it seemed all orig.I believe you got a good car for the money.Going to miss seeing it in town.Hope this helped a little.

Nate

Hey Nate, do you recall noticing or asking them anything about the brake ducts? They look like they were made functional on this car. There are no screens on the ducts and if you look at the pic of the inner wheel well that I posted, it looks like there is ventilation tubing. I haven't been able to look at the car myself yet. My mechanic has not yet responded to me about that pic but it sure looks like someone did something. Did they mention that they had the dealer do anything with the brake ducts?

Thanks!

x-codegtcs

Totally love the ram air on the 302 and brake cooling ducts! The previous owners really had a pench for the unusual and dealer options.

Love the bug grill by the way!

OP
OP
F

Forsche

Totally love the ram air on the 302 and brake cooling ducts! The previous owners really had a pench for the unusual and dealer options.

Love the bug grill by the way!

Thanks. It is a quirky car. I'll add more pics as I get them. Also found out they painted the valve covers the color of the car. Possible the car was repainted and they did it at that time?

Will add additional pics as i get them. Here are a few of the trunk. Also added the sequential tail lights.

Attachments

• IMG_6019.jpeg
    IMG_6019.jpeg
    144.8 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_2111.jpeg
    IMG_2111.jpeg
    124 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_1487.jpeg
    IMG_1487.jpeg
    108.7 KB · Views: 80

NosAvrenim

Got a real kick out of reading through this thread.
As many others have said, looks like you scored a great find. I love all the quirky aspects of the car -- definitely document them and see if you can track down any info on how they came to be.
Again, congrats!

OP
OP
F

Forsche

Got a real kick out of reading through this thread.
As many others have said, looks like you scored a great find. I love all the quirky aspects of the car -- definitely document them and see if you can track down any info on how they came to be.
Again, congrats!

Thanks, I'll be sure to fill you in as we know more. Paul has the car running and he says it runs very well and quiet. They did cap off the dual exhaust and put a single exhaust. I'll replace that as I believe the J cars were all dual. Couple more pics...one of the 9 inch rear.

There a re a few small dents in the car. Not sure of I can get them all out with PDR. Will post those pics when I get them. Also some interior.

Steve

Attachments

• IMG_5977.jpeg
    IMG_5977.jpeg
    116 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_7305.jpeg
    IMG_7305.jpeg
    123.2 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_4621.jpeg
    IMG_4621.jpeg
    110.4 KB · Views: 78