• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Well, I just bought the "7 million in gold and 1 GT/CS" car

Midnight Special

...Understood and No worries! Most would tell you I over paid on all of my CSs, but I've more than made it up in "fun"!

From the look of things, if you were under $17K, you did very well :)

nates68

Steve, This car was always parked in front of the grocery outlet store here in carson every other week. I did get a chance to talk with the owner,asked him about the hood scoop.He said his mother had it put on at dealer when she bought it.He would not not sell it to me said they bought it new.At first thought it might have a 428 in it due to the scoop. His mother used to drive it around town alot,untill she got to old.I think you got a good car.Best,Nate

DeadStang

I understand that DieselDonna has the rights to Lime gold so will be ordering up a red re-paint as soon as I get it back here.

Please God, NO! Not another green Mustang painted re-sale red :-(

...Slime Gold Lover

OP
OP
F

Forsche

Steve, This car was always parked in front of the grocery outlet store here in carson every other week. I did get a chance to talk with the owner,asked him about the hood scoop.He said his mother had it put on at dealer when she bought it.He would not not sell it to me said they bought it new.At first thought it might have a 428 in it due to the scoop. His mother used to drive it around town alot,untill she got to old.I think you got a good car.Best,Nate

Wow, Nate that is very interesting and really helpful information. Must have been Walter himself who you talked to. Did the car look pretty clean? Love the fact that his mother had the scoop put on the car!

OP
OP
F

Forsche

...Understood and No worries! Most would tell you I over paid on all of my CSs, but I've more than made it up in "fun"!

From the look of things, if you were under $17K, you did very well :)

Thanks Tim. Yeah, they say there is no place for emotion when buying cars but I can't seem to remember that. Ah, what the hell I'll just fess up here and tell you. I paid $13,750 for the car. In my view that was a stiff price for a car that I did not even know the value of, did not see or did not get checked out. Life is short and the worst thing that happens is that I paid a few thousand more than I should have for some great enjoyment. I love original cars. I used to be into corvettes and they had to be perfect. Now I'm hooked on very original cars that wear their age proudly. Hope this is one of them.

OP
OP
F

Forsche

So Nate, another very intriguing question I have is the argent silver painted tail light panel. So strange that this reclusive mother and son (he never worked and always lived with his mother after his father died in 1963 in an industrial accident) would buy this car and the mother would order a hood scoop! Would she have also had them paint the rear panel? Is it pretty well established that this would not have come from the factory painted like this?

nates68

Yes i think she did,because i asked him the same thing it seemed they had some odd things done to this car.I called Tim once about the scoop we were excited at first thought it was a big block i believe it was a 302-J code.The son never seemed to do anything to the car,even wash it. LOL. I always got a chuckle seeing the Bug screen on the front.I did check the Vin # at one time,and looked the car over it seemed all orig.I believe you got a good car for the money.Going to miss seeing it in town.Hope this helped a little.

Nate

Timmknz

Bug Deflector

Yee Haw, Here in ORYGUN we not only have bug defractors, but we also mount up some of the gol-dang brush guards just like the general lee!

BroadwayBlue

Good Luck with the car. Seems like you got a good deal regardless of what you may find condition wise.

Seems like they have done a few things to the car over the years.

Not only did they add the hood scoop and paint the rear panel, looks like they added an aftermarket stereo at some point too. Basing that on what looks like a speaker box mounted in the passenger foot well and the radio knobs.

So they new how to have a good time if nothing else.

Curious to know if the hood scoop is functional or just cosmetic.

Not sure if anyone ever answered you but yes, these came from the factory with matching color rear panels. The argent rear panels were reserved for the "real' Shelbys.

My current CS rear panel was painted argent during the restore by a previous owner. One of the first things I did was paint it to match the color of the car. Just personal preference for me - I actually like the argent look.

Will be interesting to find out what you uncover with the car.

Good luck and keep us up to date on progress.
Welcome to the CS family!

DeadStang

Yee Haw, Here in ORYGUN we not only have bug defractors, but we also mount up some of the gol-dang brush guards just like the general lee!

Don't ferget the deer whistles on the front bumper. Oh, and the trailer hitch, too, for hauling home yer firewood!

OP
OP
F

Forsche

Good Luck with the car. Seems like you got a good deal regardless of what you may find condition wise.

Seems like they have done a few things to the car over the years.

Not only did they add the hood scoop and paint the rear panel, looks like they added an aftermarket stereo at some point too. Basing that on what looks like a speaker box mounted in the passenger foot well and the radio knobs.

So they new how to have a good time if nothing else.

Curious to know if the hood scoop is functional or just cosmetic.

Not sure if anyone ever answered you but yes, these came from the factory with matching color rear panels. The argent rear panels were reserved for the "real' Shelbys.

My current CS rear panel was painted argent during the restore by a previous owner. One of the first things I did was paint it to match the color of the car. Just personal preference for me - I actually like the argent look.

Will be interesting to find out what you uncover with the car.

Good luck and keep us up to date on progress.
Welcome to the CS family!

Thanks for the welcome. I hand't noticed the radio and wondered what that box was in the footwell.

Car should ship in the next week. Will take more pics when I can.

Steve

Midnight Special

...Yeu fergot yer mud flaps, gun rack and CB whip!...>

Attachments

• ltgrnvnlhbcp.jpg
    ltgrnvnlhbcp.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 47