• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Help Selling this 68

Connie

Hi I am in possesion of a 68 GT/CS with GT package, we are looking to sell.
Back Story - my mom is the second owner of this vehicle, it was originally green and she had it painted red to match the one her and my dad had when they got married. It was a super fun cool car that lived in the garage most of my childhood and we would sneak it out to drive it. fast forward and my parents divorced and my moms dirtbag boyfriend decided he was going to "work" on the car and tore it apart some.....car sits for several years not running after this. My brothers father in law a junk hauler who fancies himself a car guy then got his hands on it and took the engine, raidiator and some misc part (like the hubcap covers)......I TOOK THE CAR and hid it in my shed. A little mouse took up residence and chewed up some carpet and under the seats and some holes in the head liner.
Bottom line I just get sad looking at the car, we don't have the time to fix it, my 16 doesn't appreciate what it could be and doesn't want to work on it. We have had offers of $700 up to $7,000.
So I am looking for help on the best way to sell this and if anyone has a good idea on what it is worth. I have seen lots of cars in worse shape for a few thousand and of course some of your beautiful cars on here worth allot of money.
The car has no rust, straight body, new carpet is purchased, original radio we still have, some little misc parts we have. Any help is appreciated. Thanks I hope the pictures I attached are able to be viewed, I am clearly not a "forum" type person because I cannot figure out how to load pictures into my gallery. UGh!

Attachments

• Passanger View.jpg
    Passanger View.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 99
  • info.JPG
    info.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 90
  • Tack.jpg
    Tack.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 81
  • Front View.jpg
    Front View.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 91

68 special

Hello Connie,

I see Washington plates. Is the car still in Wa.? There are several of us members in Wa, so depending on where it is, someone might be able to check it out more and give you a better idea. The car doesn't look in bad shape at all.

A Marti report is a cheap easy way to verify it as an original GT/CS, not that it isn't, but a prospective buyer would like verification.

Do you have the original motor, fog lamps? The speedo, tach, clock combo is a plus. The more options, the more value.

Judging by what I see, my ballpark guess would be in the neighborhood of $1500 - $2500 range. That's my .02 worth, I'll let the real experts weigh in.

Bret

franklinair

That is a sad story, but the car is probably worth saving- but would require a lot of work & $$$.
Engine, interior, paint and possibly body work, plus a myriad of other possible problems.
What (if any) options on the car? P/S? P/B? Console?
Body panels condition? Ever been hit? Photo shows incorrect grille.
What is the VIN number? (On title or on the tag inside the passenger side windshield.)
You need a Marti Report for authenticity verification as a GT/CS.
Lots of help & advice here, but we need more info (and photos would help).
Where are you located? Perhaps someone nearby could evaluate it for you.
I'm in NC, and my plate is kinda full right now (2 GT/CS's & '68 Convertible).
You can call me on my cell, 828-507-2530 if that would help.

Neil Hoppe

Mosesatm

I'll order a Marti Report for it.

Connie,
Do you know if the car ever had damage to the front (grille & hood)?

As Bret said, let us know where it is and if it's fairly close to one of us we'll be happy to go over it with you.

OP
OP
C

Connie

lets see if I can anwer

OK lets see if I can answer the questions as best I can because I am NOT a car person.

The Grille - didn't know that was the wrong grill, I will take a stab in the dark that my brothers father in law, took the original because he is a general scammer.

From what I can tell and looking at the research from what others have posted on here I believe it is a GT, but I will look into a Marti report, I have never heard of that. What you see is what you get for lights so the yellow ones mounted on the bumper/grill area, the little round ones under and the headlights. Is that what you want to know I don't know how to tell if they are original. I can take a picture of anything you want to see.
Yes Tack, speed, clock all original, radio is also original but not in the car at the moment. Seatbelts all in tact and original. NO MOTOR (removed by my brothers father in law along with the radiator and put into one of his personal cars)UGH!!
I am in WA and would be happy to let someone come take a look, I am located in Auburn area.

Ok next set of questions Neil , you may need to go slow for me P/S P/B??? UHM if I knew what you were asking I would tell you. Interior is So So, carpet is shot but we have purchased new replacement, from a reputable source for restoration, panels are all there I am sure (at least it looks like it, perhaps driver side front left is missing but it might be the one I found in the trunk...but all the door panels are there and the rear panels. The back interior of the back window is not so great, the center console is pealing, the dash is but sun damaged. The seats are good except 2 stitching tears in the drivers seat, all the leather needs cleaning and treating to determine if there is futher damage but nothing major that I can see. the back window rolling handles are missing.
Body - Never been hit (that I know of but a report would tell more I am sure) it is straight no big dents scratches or gouges, the trunk lid paint is crackly but whoever buys it will most likely put it back to green (at least I would so I don't know how much that matters). No rust, the trunk is solid the floors are solid, a little surface rust but not rust, rust on the floor of the back seat. VIN#8R01J170736 I have lots of pictures but I cannot figure out how to post them to my garage they won't show up.
If anyone would like to chat or come by and take a look I am happy to meet with anyone who can help. 206-391-8383
Thanks for all your time.
connie

OP
OP
C

Connie

Thanks, I am in auburn on the west side so kinda far from spokane. I don't think it has ever been damaged that I know of. I remember it coming home when I was a kid and it was never damaged while my mom owned it and she was the second owner.

OP
OP
C

Connie

More Pictures

Just some more pictures.

Attachments

• Rear Seat.jpg
    Rear Seat.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 66
  • Front Seat.jpg
    Front Seat.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 89
  • under hood.jpg
    under hood.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 83
  • Trunk.jpg
    Trunk.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 81
  • Exaust and lights.jpg
    Exaust and lights.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 75
  • center con.jpg
    center con.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 77
  • BackWindow.jpg
    BackWindow.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 81
  • Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 89
  • Stearing wheel.jpg
    Stearing wheel.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 70
  • Door plate.jpg
    Door plate.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 87

Mosesatm

Connie,
Does the VIN on the data tag (laying on the seat) match the VIN on the top of the dash on the passenger side? Do you know why the data tag was removed from the driver's door?

That looks like a very clean solid car, and it has headrests!:icon_ecst

OP
OP
C

Connie

Yes they match - it was taken off just because it was coming off and we didn't want to lose it.
Mom has the original paperwork that was under the drivers side seat (if that means anything) one of the front two seats was reupholstered at one point also mom is telling me.
She confirms is has never been wrecked, and no bondo that we know of.
the battery box was remade when the car was repainted, by the mustang ranch in washington state(?)
Mom has a new carpet, the middle console rolly thingy and original radio. those are the only parts we have that are not actually in or with the car at the moment. just over at her house but I can get them easily.

OP
OP
C

Connie

MOM says yes power stering P/S and disk brakes..P/B Look at that learn something new everyday.
The console is all original mom says if that was the question.
Oh and I don't have a picture yet but the headliner needs replacing also.

franklinair

Connie;

P/B= Power Brakes
P/S=Power Steering
A/T= Automatic Transmission
A/C= Air Conditioning
I can tell by one of the photos it had P/S. Can't tell if it has P/B. The Marti Report will clarify all included options.
Looks like Marchal Fog Lights (rare parts) incorrectly mounted, incorrect (amber) lenses.

Looks like a doable project.
So many cars, so little time. :sad:
I recently finished a Highland Green GT/CS. It now lives in Spokane:

Neil

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (3).jpg
    FullSizeRender (3).jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0279.JPG
    IMG_0279.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0274.JPG
    IMG_0274.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 52
OP
OP
C

Connie

Neil - you make me wanna cry that is one beautiful car. OH GOD I wish I could fix this one myself......You are making me rethink my situation, This forum is starting to seem like a bad idea for help in getting RID of a car as it appears none of you are capable of getting rid of any. LOL

hatchdog

Neil - you make me wanna cry that is one beautiful car. OH GOD I wish I could fix this one myself......You are making me rethink my situation, This forum is starting to seem like a bad idea for help in getting RID of a car as it appears none of you are capable of getting rid of any. LOL

Connie, that's a funny comment you made regarding being incapable of getting rid of any. I think these cars just rotate amongst the members of this site.:grin: I'm the lucky new owner of Neil's car above and it does indeed now live in Spokane. I have seen pictures of it before mosesatm (Arlie) and franklinair (Neil) did the restoration on it and it's almost unbelievable how these cars can be "risen from the dust".

Mike

rvrtrash

Connie, if you really want to fix the car, I'd be willing to take on a winter project for a reasonable price, but as Neil said, it would be spendy to restore it. If someone offered you $7k, I would have jumped at that.

Steve

robert campbell

Connie,
I live in Bremerton and bring cars back from the dead. This is my opinion and would need to be confirmed by looking at it, but you car could be put back on the road as is for the cost of an engine, radiator and some thorough cleaning. Headliner will need the windshield and rear window out to replace. Fuel system and brake system will need a going through.

The pictures show paint that may be able to be saved and put back into respectable condition.

The real question is your expectations. Neil does awesome work and when done the car will be a best of show anywhere. But if you are looking for a car to take to a local show and tell lies with the rest of them, your car may clean up very nice.

Downstream is the real question. Do you wish to keep the car and enjoy it again? Or do you just want to sell it. My guess is the car was in reasonable condition when it was pulled off the road? If so many items like brakes and such have has some work over the years.

If you wish to drive it again and then maybe sell it you are in a much better position to sell it if it is running and driving. We could even hunt down the owner of the original motor and offer a swap to get it back. I could do that for you.

All said this would be in the Fall before I can get to it.

Call me at (360) 377-5164 and we can discuss its future. These old cars are not for the timid. You need a garage and patience to keep one up. They are not good cars for a 16 year old. Unless the 16 year old is car savvy and smart on how they use it.

Rob

TraveledGTCS

Connie, you mentioned your Special had been painted by the Mustang Ranch. It must have been several years ago since they no longer do painting, but he still does restorations. He is located near Eatonville if you're thinking on keeping it. He did a restoration on mine in the mid 80s and I've had him do repairs and minor upgrades since. If you're interested give him a call @ (253) 847-2623.

Bill

Mosesatm

Here is the Marti Report.

Attachments

• 8R01J170736_stdrpt.jpg
    8R01J170736_stdrpt.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 94
  • 8R01J170736_stdrpt.pdf
    161.7 KB · Views: 43
OP
OP
C

Connie

So it does have the GT equipment package. I also purchased a copy of this to keep with the car. Thanks for all the help on this everyone.

OP
OP
C

Connie

HI ALL -
just an update on my mom's car. I did end up selling it.
I was offered $7,000 the guy talked me down to 6K based on all the work that was needed, which I knew to be true and from help from all of you. I felt it was a fair price knowing how much would have go into it.
Looks like he is now trying to sell it on EBAY, for about 10K. Let me just say he hasn't even had it for 3 full weeks yet and there is no way it is any better shape then when it left my driveway. A little disappointed that he talked me out of putting it on EBay because he was going to "work on it to keep in the family with his grandkids" and then turned around and put it up himself. But oh well once it is gone it is gone.

I did want to thank everyone for their help and honesty in the forum. The information I got was super helpful. I found that every "mustang" or "car person" that came to look at (there were plenty) loved it talked about how great it was then...........talked about how much work was needed and told me i was probably only worth about $3,000 BUT MAKE SURE TO CALL THEM FIRST BEFORE I SELL. So I really felt like people were out to screw me no matter how I went about it. This forum was honest and helpful.

We did have a supposed original defogger cover in the trunk, a new carpet, the roll up door for the consul and the original radio all in the trunk so hopefully those don't get sold separately.

Just wanted to give everyone an update as to what was going on with the car, and hopefully whoever gets it enjoys it has fun with it. If anyone every has questions feel free to ask and I will help as much as I can.

Thanks again.
connie