• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Rear window defogger

Maine gt/cs

Hello
I am new to the community here and only have been a member for a few months. I purchased my 1968 GT/CS back in December of 2010. The car was born a J code, Candyapple Red, 4 Speed, and a console. Some years back, someone changed the car to White and to an automatic. I have since put the 4 speed back and will go back to Candyapple Red this winter. The one thing that my car has is a 2 speed rear window defogger. The Marti report on the car does not mention this at all. I asked Paul Newitt about this and all he could tell me is that is was in fact a factory and dealer installed item that is extremely rare. My question is if anyone here can tell me if they also have a rear window defogger and how rare of an item this is. Thanks to anyone out there that can help me. Tim

Ruppstang

Yes it is a rare option. I have restored two that had it and it was listed on their Marti reports. Marty

robert campbell

My Gold Nugget Special has a rear window defroster. It is a very loaded J code auto car. My guess is if your Marti does not list it, it may have been dealer installed or added later.

I may ask Keven Marti to check again via e-mail. May be a mistake. The wiring must be installed with the interior mostly out of the car.

I can research my wiring to see if yours is original or wired in.

In my opinion a dealer installed item is on par with assembly line options. Many will disbute this thinking.

Rob

dalorzo_f

The wiring must be installed with the interior mostly out of the car.

Getting ready to run mine and thought it only requires the sill cover and kick panel to be removed...??? Fish the wire from the trunk to the rocker, no need to remove the inner rear 1/4 panel??? What other interior needs to come out?

Ruppstang

Getting ready to run mine and thought it only requires the sill cover and kick panel to be removed...??? Fish the wire from the trunk to the rocker, no need to remove the inner rear 1/4 panel??? What other interior needs to come out?

That will work provided it does not get pinched in the quarter window regulator or track. Better to remove the quarter cover and secure the wire as Ford did. Marty

OP
OP
Maine gt/cs

Maine gt/cs

My Gold Nugget Special has a rear window defroster. It is a very loaded J code auto car. My guess is if your Marti does not list it, it may have been dealer installed or added later.

I may ask Keven Marti to check again via e-mail. May be a mistake. The wiring must be installed with the interior mostly out of the car.

I can research my wiring to see if yours is original or wired in.

In my opinion a dealer installed item is on par with assembly line options. Many will disbute this thinking.

Rob

Thank you Rob for your reply. What I have for a switch and wiring is this. The switch is a round knob with a chrome bezel with the word DEFOG imprinted on the bezel. The switch is mounted beside the right side of the fog lamp switch. The wiring then runs to the trunk area on the passenger side of the car up to the defroster. I think the defroster might be a dealer installed option because of not being on the Marti report and i agree with you about it being on par with the factory option. Again, thank you and everyone else for their reply's Tim