• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

X Code Question

P

PNewitt

Yes there were. I can't give you any VINs or dates (probably after June '68).

The X code was really a '68 Cougar engine, designed to meet better smog standards. ALL X Code cars have C-6 automatics.

Some think that the X code cars all had deluxe interiors--not true.

I think there still is an X-Code registry.

PAUL N.

68CaliSp

I just took a quick look on the net and found this info about an X-Code registry but no web pages. I am not sure how old this info is but it is worth a try.

If you have an X-code, there is a registry available. Contact Marc Schultz at (561) 996-5520; or write to 1968 X-code Registry, 582 Ranchero Rd., Ste. 1, Belle Glade, FL 33430

OP
OP
6t8-390gt

6t8-390gt

I have always read that the GT option required a 4-V carb excluding 1967(and 1982). Also, it was my understanding the X-Code was an "economy" version of the 390, that was why they all had automatic transmissions and the highway gear.

The few X-Code cars I have seen were non GT cars, and I have never seen or heard of someone having a Marti Report or 999 Report verifying an X-Code GT. I knew a few members here had X-Codes so I thought I would see what we could come up with.

68gt390

6t8-390gt said:
I have always read that the GT option required a 4-V carb excluding 1967(and 1982). Also, it was my understanding the X-Code was an "economy" version of the 390, that was why they all had automatic transmissions and the highway gear.

The few X-Code cars I have seen were non GT cars, and I have never seen or heard of someone having a Marti Report or 999 Report verifying an X-Code GT. I knew a few members here had X-Codes so I thought I would see what we could come up with.

I may be wrong but, I remember reading an article I have (I'll have to find it again) that the 390 - 2V was the one exception that was eligiable for the GT package without the 4V. Man do I have a lot of digging to do to find that article. Looks like this would be a good time to get reorganized and clean up some of my junk room. :eek: I get that project started and there's no telling what I might find.

Don :cool:

P

PNewitt

Since an "X" code engine would have more power than a 4bbl 302 (J-code), it qualified for the GT option.

If the X-Code Registry is still up and running, they would know immediately. I need to know this for the book anyway.

Thanks--

Paul N.

twoclassics

X code

Just talked to Marc who runs the X code registry and he says there is no web site and that the X code could be a GT as there are some out there. He is sending me a packet to register, any more interesting info concerning this I will post Chuck

OP
OP
6t8-390gt

6t8-390gt

At this point I think Kevin Marti would be the only one to answer 100%, or someone with a Marti report verifying one.

There are so many cars out here now with "GT Options" (look at how many c-code cars are advertised as a GT on ebay)that someone just saying that they have( had, saw, or a friend had) one is not enough. I confirmed my J-Code as a GT before I bought it just to be 100% certain.

I have seen a couple articles that elude to or speak of X-Code GT's, but never one that is conclusive. It is a question I have been looking for an answer to for a few years.

68gt390

twoclassics said:
Does it say on a Marti report if it is a GT

Chuck;
On the Marti Report under Options it will show the following:
"GT Equipment Group"

Note: Not all "S" or "X" codes were GT's. It had to be ordered with the "GT Equipment Group" to qualify. Several of my friends have "S" code fastbacks but, they were not ordered with the GT Equipment Group - hence they are not true GT cars even though they have the 390 engine.

Don

deestix

I am the owner of a GT/CS, X-code engine, with a factory GT package, as verified by my Marti report. I know I've seen this discussion on this website before, and it's very confusing re: GT packages on our California Specials, but to state it one more time: the 390 2-barrel engine ('X' code) DID qualify for the GT package, and, I own such a car. Paul is also correct in that they did not all have the deluxe interior, although again, my car does. I have a real odd-ball among GT/CS's.

OP
OP
6t8-390gt

6t8-390gt

Deestix,
You have answered my question, thanks. Are you willing to post your Marti report or email a copy to me. I am not doubting you, but I would like to see one. It sounds like you have a nice CS, and certainly a rare one with the options you listed in the post.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

68sunlitgold

From what I have read on the x-code and why it came to be was because of the large gab in horsepower between the 302 and the 390v4, not for "economy". Ford wanted to have an engine in-between them so the x-code was introduced. I too have read many articles that state the x-code was available for the GT option.

Doug

deestix

I'll work on scanning and posting the Marti Report. I have no problem with putting it up here; just give me a few days (maybe during the long Thanksgiving weekend) to figure out how to do it! I do have a scanner; I think if I scan it and save it as a jpeg, I can simply post it as a 'picture'.