• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Headlight Replacement

Mike M

Hi all - I've got the old Ernie Gonzalez/Kurtis/Dave MacNeal Sunlit Gold, all original GT/CS. I need new headlights, and I'd like to get ones that look as original as possible. All the ones I've come across seem to have the manufacturer logo molded right into the glass. Can't miss that they are replacements. Any recommendations on either reproductions, or replacements that are at least a little more discrete? Thanks! Mike

Ruppstang

TS and Westinghouse were OEM manufactures. I use to be able to find them in salvage yards but is getting tougher since most of the old iron is gone. You might find one on EBay once in a while. The reproductions are excepted by the MCA. Marty

CougarCJ

We have gone through the headlight learnings at work. I wish I could show you an updated listing on our catalog, but we haven't updated yet.

For the four headlight systems, I believe that the original headlamp bulb manufacturer was primarily GE or General Electric. However, when the powers that be, decided to get the Ford licensing to do reproduction "FoMoCo" scripted headlamps, GE was not interested. So I think it is Westinghouse bulbs that have the licensed "FoMoCo" script.
We were recently made aware that non halogen, round, sealded beam headlamp bulbs, are basically obsolete. All of our suppliers only carry halogen style headlamps. This is a good news bad news thing. Halogen = brighter headlights, but they also are of a higher wattage, and exceed most of the vintage headlamp switches.
It was discovered that there are two different halogen bulbs, one high and one medium wattage. The mediums are what we will be stocking for general replacement bulbs.

We do not carry the single headlights for the Mustang, our Cougars use the quad headlight system and they are slightly smaller in diameter.

A secret amongst some of us that treasure hunt in auto salvage yards:
Always check the late 1960's Ford Econoline vans, they use the correct 6012? bulb. They have fairly high positioned bulb placement and occasionally the original "FoMoCo" scripted bulbs can be found. These vans have about the highest probability for finding original bulbs of anything that I can suggest. For those of us with the quad headlamp system like on a Cougar, most any appropriate year Ford/Mercury/Lincoln with hidden headlights often have one or more original working headlights.