• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Who else has "dog dish" hub caps on their 1968 Mustang?

admin

Staff member
Administrator
I'm trying to verify that when a Marti report shows no wheel covers it means the car came with the very basic 10 1/2" dog dish hub caps. That's how my HCS is. See pic below.

So does anyone's Mustang have these plain jane hub caps? And if so what does your Marti report say?

Attachments

• 1968-Wheels-Dog-Dish.jpg
    1968-Wheels-Dog-Dish.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 59
  • Marti Report Hanna.jpg
    Marti Report Hanna.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 68

Ruppstang

Jon,
Were all the rims painted highland green? Was the spare black or green? Marty

CougarCJ

Jon, according to the Mustang recognition guide, the 10-1/2 inch hub cap could also have the Ford crest center.

I can't say what hubcaps came on my car originally.

teamlo

Kinda odd that the car was ordered with the F70-14 wide oval whitewalls! Those were the tires that were standard on cars equipped with the GT option. They would be the Firestone Wide Oval if I remember correctly. Neat car with those tires and the dog-dish caps!

Terry

nfrntau

Marty when you asked about the spare being black or body color. What is the accepted answer? Or worded differently which is it supposed to be for the GT/CS's? When I received my car, it had three body color and one black. I assumed the black one was a junk yard recovery.

OP
OP
admin

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Doing some more research I read that in 1968 the wheels were only painted body color if you the car came with the dog dish hub caps. Otherwise they were black.

Marty, I'm guessing that's why you asked the question?

OP
OP
admin

admin

Staff member
Administrator
When I received my car, it had three body color and one black. I assumed the black one was a junk yard recovery.
Looking at your Marti report it seems yours might have come with dog dish caps also. (since the report doesn't list any wheel covers at all and your wheels are painted body color)

CougarCJ

My Marti doesn't show wheel covers either.

The wheels that came with my Mustang are black.

I am going to put the GT type wheels on it.

Dog dish caps, AKA poverty caps. LOL I do like the 'steely' wheel look.

We called this car the Mad Max car. 1970 Cougar with 428CJ.
Texacoabandoned.jpg

Ruppstang

Doing some more research I read that in 1968 the wheels were only painted body color if you the car came with the dog dish hub caps. Otherwise they were black.

Marty, I'm guessing that's why you asked the question?

Jon,
This is another subject of long discussion ( like the tach) of a owner claiming that he had full wheel covers and painted rims when he bought the car. His Marti report did not show full wheel covers. So he has no documentation. Acording to the rules only the dog dish covers had painted rims. My best guess in this situation is that the dealer put on the full covers to help sell the car.
Your car that has all 5 painted is just what we would expect to see, but I would also not deduct if the spare was black as in the situation of styled steel wheels you can have a styled steel spare or the standard black rim.
You are right if a car came with the dog dish covers their would be no mention of it on the Marti option list because it was standard that way. Acording to Bob Teets the dog dish covers were very common on the HCS becauese they were in most cases ordered with very few options.
In my HCS case I was able to figure out it had the radial spoke cover by the $21.34 listed on the window sticker. Marty

Ruppstang

My Marti doesn't show wheel covers either.

The wheels that came with my Mustang are black.

I am going to put the GT type wheels on it.

Dog dish caps, AKA poverty caps. LOL I do like the 'steely' wheel look.

We called this car the Mad Max car. 1970 Cougar with 428CJ.
Texacoabandoned.jpg

Scott,
My brother had a car like that but it had the 351 and the drivers window was always falling out.

Mosesatm

If I remember correctly the full wheel covers don't cover the outer 1/2" or so of the wheels.

franklinair

Correct. Full wheelcovers do not cover the outer lip area (where balancing weights could be attached).

Neil

Mosesatm

So, since the full wheel covers don't cover the entire wheel is the exposed part black or body color?