• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Mystery Wire

franklinair

In replacing the Ign switch connector there is one wire I cannot account for. The lower connector is the one I removed, with a Red/white stripe wire with an unused splice attached.
The upper connector is a Scott Drake repo with the same wire with a splice attached.
The only place I find in the wiring diagrams that shows a Red/white stripe wire comes from the Temp Sending unit (wire #39) to the Temp Gage (which that circuit is intact).
Curious as to what this unused wire on the Ign Sw connector might be used for.
Any ideas/guidance?

Neil

Attachments

• Ign switch wire.jpg
    Ign switch wire.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 41

68sunlitgold

Neil,
I also found a 'Red-White strip' #383 which goes to the emergency flasher (with a splice going to the cigar (cigarette) lighter). So is seems to be a 'constant' on. Which would make sense for the emergency flashers being able to work even when the key is not in the ignition.
But I don't see it coming off the back of the ignition connection.?? Could it just be an additional constant on plug?

Doug

6t8-390gt

Neil,
I want to say the current ignition switch is a "universal" switch and the extra wire is for the T-bird, Cougar or some other make of Ford vehicle. On the Mustang it is just as you described an "extra" wire. You might want to google it to be certain, but I remember reading something to that effect.

Danny

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

MYSTERY SOLVED:
I contacted Scott Drake's company, and the mystery is solved:
Their connector & pigtail wiring (P/N C9AZ-14313-A) fits '68 & '68 Mustangs.
The Red/White wire is not used on a '68/non tach application.
(Kinda like the Turn Signal Switches have wires not used for standard application.)
With all the wiring re-do on this car, I had to be sure.

Neil

PS
My diagrams don't show the wiring set-up for factory Tachs. Does one exist?

rvrtrash

Neil, I'll see what I can find for you on the tach, but Ford used a "two wire" tach, with one wire being power and the other supplying power for the coil (in the run position). I just need to see where the different connections were located. The down side of this kind of setup is, if your tach dies, the engine won't run. Scott put me on to RCC Innovations, who does 3 wire conversions, if you ever need it.

Steve

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

I'd just like to have my wiring 'library' complete. As an example, I had no reference to the Violet wire for the Master Cylinder Brake light circuit until you steered me onto the Jim Smart manual. NONE of the other schematics showed that circuit.
In my cars I use the MiniTach mounted in place of the clock.

Neil