• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Unusual Spark Plug Wire Separator

stangfan

This is something that I have been wondering about since I purchased my GT/CS last August. This is a California car, sold in San Francisco and lived in Sacramento for the first 43 years of its life. The plug wires on the right side of the engine are routed via a separator that I have never seen before. I have had two 1967 Mustangs and another 1968 prior to owning this car and none of them have had this. Can anyone tell me why this car has it, and if it is correct to the car? It's a 289 2v. There is no Thermactor system on the car.

Thanks! :grin:

Attachments

• P1000102.JPG
    P1000102.JPG
    160 KB · Views: 68
OP
OP
stangfan

stangfan

Well that would explain why it wasn't present on either of the 67s I had, and the other 68 was a little more 'worn' than the GT/CS is. :wink:

Then it is correct for the car?

Ruppstang

It was a 68 part. I believe that it's purpose was to extend the spark plug out beyond the heat stove. Marty

CougarCJ

I think that you will find that the 289 valve covers in 1967 (and earlier) were smooth. 1968 is the first year for "Powered by Ford" valve covers, on the 289.

6t8-390gt

It is correct for 1968; but IIRC it was only used for a portion of the year. I can't remember the time frame that they discontinued using it. The small block ford book addresses it though. Also everyone I've ever seen were panted blue like the valve cover.

Danny

6t8-390gt

Mustang and Ford Small Block V-8 1962-1968 by Bob Mannel addresses the extension; but does not indicate a changeover date. The valve covers that used the extension are also slightly different. The early style valve covers actually had a "support arm" that bent over the side of the valve cover to better support the extension. The 1967 valve cover and later 1968 valve covers did not have this type of spark plug wire holder. Hard to explain...I'll ty to find a picture to post later.

Danny

Ruppstang

Yes they were blue and used only on the passenger side of the engine. Our Dearborn 7-12-68 C code has one as does our San Jose 7-16 -68 C code.