• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Changing Fuel Pump on my '68

ahainline

Am trying to figure out the easiest way to do it. Its a 289 w/ AC. Tried getting to it from beneath car but am having trouble getting to one of the bolts. Do I need to remove AC compressor and go from the top or through wheel well or just get a different tool to give me a better angle. I know this is a rookie question but it is cold out in that garage and I dont have the patience to try different things lol. Thanks for the help guys!

franklinair

I feel your pain. You made me go take a look at mine (A/C + P/S). It looks like the only way is from the bottom. The P/S pump is right in the way. Possibly loosening the P/S pump (without removing it) may give you some additional wiggle room.
A 1/4" drive socket with a short extension may do it for you. IIRC, the fuel pump bolts are 1/2" heads. I don't envy you stretched out on a cold garage floor!
Be sure you get the fuel pump lever beneath the eccentic that moves the fuel pump arm.

Neil

murf104

You are correct! It can be changed from the bottom and it is kind of a shi##y job. As Neil pointed out you must be careful to get the arm on top of the fuel pump ecentric when installing the pump. You can make it a bit easier by bumping the engine over until the ecentric is on the base circle as opposed to the high part - the pump will go in place much better if you can figure out how to do this. Things will also be better if it is not so cold that your fingers are stiff. Remove the P/S belt and swing the pump as far away from the engine as possible and it will give a bit more room but it is still tight. Good luck and rest assured that many of those pumps have been changed from the bottom. You may invent some new "prayers" while doing this task!

franklinair

CAUTION:
murf104 stated "be careful to get the arm on top of the fuel pump eccentric".
NO!!! The fuel pump arm must go BELOW the fuel pump eccentric.

Neil

OP
OP
ahainline

ahainline

thanks for encouragement guys.. I gave up after my first attempt(5 degrees F on the concrete floor without a floor jack lol) but will give it another shot this weekend I think. I will let you know how it turns out. I appreciate the advice!

franklinair

An area heater & a small carpet to lay on might make life a little easier! I also have to jack mine up to get a little breathing room.

Neil