• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

For Sale 1968 HCS T code for sale or trade

HCS@CT

I have (according to Mr. Bob Teets) the last 1968 T code HCS. It has 46k original miles on the clock. A 3 speed manual. Mainly original- new dash pad, dash chrome, and fresh paint in the engine compartment. Some slight bubbling in door corners and one quarter. Not bad for a survivor, I have pics in my gallery HCS@CT. $18,000 please no BS or low ballers.
Thanks, Rand

PS: Another interesting note about this car is that it was the second to last High Country Special ever to be built. Again according to Mr. Teets. He's the best, if he dosn't have the answer you can stop looking, no one will. Every time I call him about something he gets me excited about my car all over again. So if you see this Bob, don't call me cuz I'm trying to sell it and this hard enough as it is.

Attachments

• shelton car show.jpg
    shelton car show.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 312
Last edited:

sportyworty

I did not realize the Marti Reports called out California Special on the High Country Special cars. If a car did not have original decals how could someone be sure the much rarer HCS was not in fact a GT/CS? Looks like a nice car and wish you the best on the sale.

Mosesatm

Any California Special with a DSO of 51 is a High Country Special.

68CaliSp

I don't think there is a more reliable engine out there than the T code. My '67 T code has been exceptional and never let me down.

I have to agree with Classicsguy on how rare your car is. Not only is it an HCS but it still has the original engine. I've found it pretty hard to find a mustang of any year where someone has not decided to drop a V8 into a 6 cylinder car. Good luck to you Rand!

OP
OP
H

HCS@CT

I will agree she is the most reliable car I've owned. Two taps of the gas pedal and she banks over every spring. As you can see from my gallery the motor has been gone thru. I found the head and carburator unusual the carburator is a Holley 1941 dual float not the Autolite 1100 POS and the intake on head is a 3/4in. not 1/2. When I spoke with Mr. Tests he said Ford did that for high altitude cars.. So she dosn't have that ruff idle the Autolites have.
I don't think there is a more reliable engine out there than the T code. My '67 T code has been exceptional and never let me down.

I have to agree with Classicsguy on how rare your car is. Not only is it an HCS but it still has the original engine. I've found it pretty hard to find a mustang of any year where someone has not decided to drop a V8 into a 6 cylinder car. Good luck to you Rand!

OP
OP
H

HCS@CT

Wow no hits or questions about my car. Is everyone broke, or is my price too high. Could it be it's the six banger, Maybe I'll just keep it till the economy turns around.

classicsguy

Wow no hits or questions about my car. Is everyone broke, or is my price too high. Could it be it's the six banger, Maybe I'll just keep it till the economy turns around.[/QUOTI

If you want a good idea of what people are willing to pay put the car on E bay with your minimum price you are willing to sell as the reserve.
When I sold mine on e bay last year I had to put it about 3 times on e bay when it found the buyer. It was a project with all the metal work done but it was a Very rare J-code with factory 4 speed. Just my opinion.

franklinair

I have a few questuions:
How many HCS 6cyl/3speeds were made?
Northern car=big red flag:(Rust issues)
What is condition of floorpans, frame rails, torque boxes, cowls, body?
What is condition of paint on a scale of 1 to 10?
Did you patch the holes in the shock towers? (still can't believe anyone would cut them,especially with ragged edges)

Neil

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

HCS@CT

From the discussion with Mr. Teets their were quite a few CS's and HCS's made with 6 cylinders. Most were converted to V8's over the years. Mine is the last known HCS with it's original 6. As to an actual number produced Marti auto may know. I've tried to find out for myself.
The car was brought over from Kentucky in 1999 to Maine and parked in a garage while the owner restored his CS. I picked it up in 2005 when the owner got disgusted with people winning awards for fakes and clones over the real deal . Floors and undercarriage are in great shape I've only found one small rust spot under the passenger side rear seat about the size of a silver dollar and hasn't made it threw. The only rust threw is right behind the passenger door on the quarter and some bubbles with slight surface rust on and under the hood.
The paint is original (there are clues to that like where the paint has been burned by a buffer the lip on the side scoop and the tops of the quarter extensions that give it away) except for on quarter haven't found out why yet. No metal work was done on the inside of the quarter, the factory rustproofing/sound deadening is undisturbed. That with the bubbles and a small amount of surface rust cropping up from scratches and chips over the years I would give the paint maybe a 5 out of 10. When I got the car the paint was dead flat but about a month of buffing and she gleans nicely.
Ya the holes are still in the shock towers, Yes someone was sloppy. I'm not sure why this six was so well taken care of but hopefully it will stay that way for a long long time.
Hope these are the answers you were looking for.

Ruppstang

The problem with those torched holes is that cracks often start out of them because it causes a weak spot in the shock tower. Not as much of a problem with a 6 as 390. It is best to weld in a repair but a quick fix if the hole is not too big or slopy is to find a rubber body plug a little larger than the torched hole and hole saw that size. Cut the hole and remove the burrs with a file. Pop in the body plug and you are done. It looks better and much less chance of a crack starting out of a clean round hole. Marty

OP
OP
H

HCS@CT

My wife of all people is the one that has kept me from repainting the car. Im a perfectionist and the little imperfections in the paint drive me crazy. The scoop decals were replaced two owners ago they purchaced them from Mr. Teets. Im not sure if the stripes were done at the same time, they may be original they have some chips and digs out of them. If anyone wants I can post some pic's of my clue spots when I get home from vacation.

OP
OP
H

HCS@CT

The headrests were dealer installed. I like them too, looks cool and safer than the neck breakers. This is most likely the lowest option HCS car built. On the marti it only shows the three speed manual,wheel covers, AM radio, tires, and the California Special package( DSO 51 )for options.

Last edited:

franklinair

I would guess that the tire option was either a deviation from production size tires, OR whitewalls.

Neil

hookedtrout

I remember when rear bumpers were an option for pickups, spare tires were also an option for awhile on pickups. You had to pay extra if you wanted them. The bumpers was during a time when everyone was doing aftermarket drop bumpers so they stopped installing them as a part and let you pick what you wanted and pay extra.

OP
OP
H

HCS@CT

I guess no one is interested in so maybe I'll do something crazy with it. Like a turbo... Any thoughts on that guys. A turbo 200 ci High Country Special?