• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Restoration shop reccomendation

classicsguy

I am purchasing a 1968gt/cs in the next month or so. Since I live in Puerto Rico where there are no restoration shops,I would like to restore it in the U.S before bringing it over here. I will purchase this car in the U.S. I would like the finished product to be a show quality driver, since no judged shows take place in here. Please give me reccomendations of any shop that you have had experiences or know about. Anywhere USA but central or eastern US would be better. Also please advise if a Mustang specialty shop is more desirable than a shop that will restore any vehicle. Any help or advise will be EXTREMELY appreciated. Thanks to all !!!

RacingFan

I had really good luck with CJ Pony Parts in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, both with parts and restoration work on my GT/CS. They are on the web at www.cjponyparts.com. The restoration department supervisor's name is Brian, and he is an old Ford service department chief. Hope this helps!

x-codegtcs

I live out West so I do not have any that I can recommend in Central or Eastern US. As far as using a Mustang specific or general resto shop is a tough question to answer. I guess you would need to answer a few questions before this can be answered:
How much sheet metal needs to be replaced? If it needs a lot then you will be better off cost, fit and appearance to find a shop that specializes in Mustangs - plus they will know where to get the best fitting parts and know how to fit and weld them for a correct restoration.
How do you define show quality driver? For me this still means all of the correct marks, belts, plug wires, stickers, stamps, etc. If this is how you define it, a Mustang specialty shop is better, if not then any shop could do it since familiarity with the location of each of these is not important.

The bottom line is to find a shop that does thorough work. There is a Mustang specific shop close by that I wouldn't pay to have them do anything to my car as the workmanship is mediocre and attention to detial lacking. What you will find is that most of the GOOD Mustang Specialty Shops are 6 months to 3-4 years out. A good replacement to Mustang Specialty Shops is to find a shop that has done Mustangs before that have won some awards - again it is important for you to decide what level of restoration you are looking for.

Sorry to take your time with such a lengthy response - this type of decision is certainly a personal one. Any shop you use will be worth the plane ticket to visit and personally inspect. I would ask them to send many detailed photos of the work they have done before making those arrangements though.

good luck.

Bryce

OP
OP
C

classicsguy

Thanks Bryce for your reply, I do not mind at all reading long replies since I am looking for information. Show quality driver for me means exactly as you described but the car won't be in a thoroughbred concours judged show, I just want the car to look as original as possible and paint, interior and engine compartment nicely detailed.

x-codegtcs

You may want to check out KAR Group in Ohio. I know they do A LOT of Mustangs and, George, the owner is goods friends to a friend of mine (Jim Kerr - also a GT/CS owner). From what I have heard, they are not cheap though, but it doesn't sound like that is what you are looking for.

Good luck.

OP
OP
C

classicsguy

Bryce: I know KAR very well, I have purchased 3 Mustangs from them and know George very well. I am considering them but they are expensive and also backlogged for over a year. I know Kevin the restoration manager and they have a lot of work in their shop. They only do Mustangs and Kevin is very knowledgeable about these cars. They do all the sheetmetal work and outsource the paint. Did your friend had the GT/CS restored by them? I f so I would like to comunicate with him to share his experience with KAR.

x-codegtcs

I think everyone that is decent is out a while to do the restorations. I am not sure if Jim had his GT/CS restored there. I will ask his brother (here in Utah - Larry Kerr - Larry has a GT/CS and a HCS - both 68). Anyway, I know that KAR does do good work and that Jim's cars consistantly won Concour Driver awards. I will ask Jim if he knows any others back east.

Right now, I have a GT/CS in process, but the guy is out 6 months (minimum - pending no surprises in his current jobs). He does a lot of other cars though and I cannot vouch for his correctness - he is only doing paint and body for me as I want to do the rest - but that is the way the market is now - the good ones are all in demand and you have to wait. I have my convertible at a shop that is VERY good and VERY reasonable, but they are getting out of the complete jobs and want to focus on the metal replacement - I have waited 6 months to get in and now that he has my car, he still can't guarantee a delivery date (and that is only for the sheet metal!) Then I get in line for paint :-[ I have figured it out this time though and have already booked my spot in advance. :p Well, the supply demand thing will make us both wait.

Best of luck. I will let you know what I find out.

Just about all good mustang restoration shops have a back log; our back log is about a year also. We specialize in mustang restorations 64/73 and handle everything from service, parts to full blown restorations. We are located in Harrington, Delaware(east coast) and have many local and national winners and references are available upon request. Current cars in bays: 1970 Shelby GT 500, 1964 Galaxie 500 XL, 2 - 1965 Mustang Conv'ts, 1967 mustang Conv't and 1966 Mustang Conv't. Sometimes depending on the car it is good to have a back log as it enables the owner and restorer to accumulate knowledge of each other and those sometimes hard to find parts. If interested give us a call or email.

Ernie Baynum
B.C.D. Preservations, Inc.
Harrington, De 19943
(302) 398-4014
Bcdpreservations@yahoo.com

[quote author=classicsguy link=board=1;threadid=307;start=0#msg1566 date=1050179180]
I am purchasing a 1968gt/cs in the next month or so. Since I live in Puerto Rico where there are no restoration shops,I would like to restore it in the U.S before bringing it over here. I will purchase this car in the U.S. I would like the finished product to be a show quality driver, since no judged shows take place in here. Please give me reccomendations of any shop that you have had experiences or know about. Anywhere USA but central or eastern US would be better. Also please advise if a Mustang specialty shop is more desirable than a shop that will restore any vehicle. Any help or advise will be EXTREMELY appreciated. Thanks to all !!!
[/quote] :)

Bobsdad

I think everyone that is decent is out a while to do the restorations. I am not sure if Jim had his GT/CS restored there. I will ask his brother (here in Utah - Larry Kerr - Larry has a GT/CS and a HCS - both 68). Anyway, I know that KAR does do good work and that Jim's cars consistantly won Concour Driver awards. I will ask Jim if he knows any others back east.

Right now, I have a GT/CS in process, but the guy is out 6 months (minimum - pending no surprises in his current jobs). He does a lot of other cars though and I cannot vouch for his correctness - he is only doing paint and body for me as I want to do the rest - but that is the way the market is now - the good ones are all in demand and you have to wait. I have my convertible at a shop that is VERY good and VERY reasonable, but they are getting out of the complete jobs and want to focus on the metal replacement - I have waited 6 months to get in and now that he has my car, he still can't guarantee a delivery date (and that is only for the sheet metal!) Then I get in line for paint :-[ I have figured it out this time though and have already booked my spot in advance. Well, the supply demand thing will make us both wait.

Best of luck. I will let you know what I find out.
On Ebay I found for sale an article about Jim and Louise Kerr's GT/CS's, do they still own them? It also mentions Larry Kerr, figured they or perhaps the current owners would be interested.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3833913210...4FaGE8YT7i&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Mosesatm

I have this article as a PDF. If anyone wants it just shoot me your email address.