• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Bed Down for Winter

RedGTvert

This is the time of year I start to enjoy driving the car. Nice warms days and moderate amounts of humidity. Guess that's why I moved from PA. Got tired of shoveling snow, only to have the snow plows raise those boulders again in the drive.

hicountrybob

mmarsalone said:
Moving to Savannah, GA. Well, I'll be down there. And move the family next summer when school ends and our house sells.

Can anyone tell me about Savannah? I was going to ask everyone in another thread. Been to Atalanta many times and to southern Georgia, but never on the coast.
I can tell you plenty about the Savannah, Georgia area. IT'S A PLACE FROM HELL, weather-wise, particularly in the summer. I spent 2 weeks there playing war games (Army vs Air Force) one time. I worked on the flight line, and HOT? at an old air base picking up drag chutes from F-100's and we had guys passing out on the taxi area from the high temperature and the heat from cement. Finally we were brought a big open canvas tent to set up. At night, we hung our WET fatigues on our bunks and they were still WET the next morning. On a weekend , 2 of us hitchhiked to a beach and one of our rides let us off way out in the boonies where we saw real poor people sitting on their porches whose homes were on stilts. YEH! and HOT? Finally got a ride on a beer truck all the way to a beach. and HOT? I'll tell you, Mmarsalone, I sure didn't leave anything there that I had to go back for. Good luck to you guys there. Be prepared. Bob here.

Diesel Donna

If it makes you feel any better, I drove the ambulance to work today (car show right after work so driving it saves me an hour)...anyhow, it was 36 degrees this morning up on the mountain and my heater doesn't work. This afternoon is suppose to be in the upper 80's!

OP
OP
PFSlim

PFSlim

It sounds to me like Savannah is hot!! Anyway, Mike we are going to miss you here in Missouri. Do you need Steve, or myself, or Brian B. to hold on to your GT/CS while you are gone??

Paul

mmarsalone

PFSlim said:
It sounds to me like Savannah is hot!! Anyway, Mike we are going to miss you here in Missouri. Do you need Steve, or myself, or Brian B. to hold on to your GT/CS while you are gone??

Paul
Hey everyone,

I didn't mean to throw the thread off here. The idea was that I would be leaving this winter and not have to "bed down" the car for the winter. I know it's going to be hot, and I'm looking forward to it. I'll be looking for an apartment with a garage. Drive all winter long and ride the MC too.

Bob, thanks for the info. So you think it was hot? Have you ever been to New Orleans? I'm from New Orleans and moved to Missouri four years ago. Kinda looking forward to the hot, hot, humid weather. I'll take it over the Missouri winters.

Paul, thanks for the offer, but I really can't wait to get it down there. I've got a trailer lined up to get it there.

BTW - The Savannah Mustang Club must have a member with a CS. I think I read in Mustang Times for their upcoming car show, to contact "mark68gtcs@XXXX.com" or something similar. Anyone know if he's a member on the board?

jsully65

I was stationed at Charleston AFB, SC. It's only 45 min up the roadfrom Savannah. There is a great Mustang club in Charleston, very active and lot to do. Here is the link to the club's web site.

http://www.smafclub.com/

Enjoy

BroadwayBlue

I stopped by the Auto Parts store and picked up my bottle of Sta-bil in preparation of storing the cars next week. I was hoping to get a last drive in this weekend and we're dealing with torrential rains and 40-60 mph winds!!

:sad:

Midnight Special

BroadwayBlue said:
I found this on the Sta-bil site if anyone is interested

That's a great PDF that should be printed & posted in every garage. Thanks BB! If you don't do all of these things, at least go out and start the car and run it to "warm" every two weeks (keep the garage door open or back the car out;-)

In addition, if you're storing your car for 6-months or more - place it on jackstands sufficient to raise the tires off the floor.

I took my 390 CS to the tire shop to last week to have the tires balanced (vibration @ 65 MPH) and was told "no can do"... We found out that the internal layers were beginning to separate at the locations bearing weight on primarily the front and a hint on the rears. Granted - these tires are a number of years old (T/As w/ good tread), but sitting will almost wear a tire out as fast as (joedls;-) spinning.

I've also had to replace more than my share of rotted vacuum lines, fuel lines, carb gaskets, seals, you name it... from pristine "hangar queens" I've purchased... Something to keep in mind as you inspect that perfect car w/ low miles stored since 19XX that you may want to buy.

Last edited:

CALIF GIRL

Perkchiro said:
Complete tear down? What color?

I won't be doing it myself this time..It's at a shop locally. It will be stripped to bare metal (again) some parts will come off but not all...

Although it is a perfect time to put her back to the original Lime Gold, I am going to stay with the Candyapple Red with black side stripes and black hood stripes.

Hopefully I will make it to the shop tomorrow and get more photos.

Perkchiro

Hey, we have something in common. My car was Lime Gold originally too. Just can't beat that wonderful Candyapple Red color!!. Good luck with the project and be sure to post some update pics.

OP
OP
PFSlim

PFSlim

We are currently building another cobra for my brother in-law. At least it will make the time seem shorter before I can drive the GT/CS again.

Paul

hotrodgrany

PFSlim said:
Well, it is almost time to bed the old pony down for the winter. Has anyone else started? I hate this time of year!!! I still expect to drive the car a few more times in nice weather before Dec. After Dec, it is hard to get it out again until spring.

What is everyone doing to prepare their cars for winter??

Paul
Well I had my husband put my 2004 Mustang Gt convetible away for the winter last week. You see, he built an addition onto the garage that originally garaged one Stang and a 90 Bronco ll. There isn't much room to get it in, so he does the honors every year since. I still am able to drive my 07 GT/CS as of yet, but as soon as the nasty State guys start putting down the chemichal on the roads here, in it goes for the winter months along side of my other Stang. We put Sta-bil in both Stangs and cover them both, but have to keep in mind, if it gets damp inside, off they come and just put a cover over the rag top part of the convertible.By the way, we garage all our automobiles, as I have a small garage next to our home, where the Bronco ll stays in the winter months, of which the new Stang usually is during the summer months.Here is a picture how close it is on the side were the conv goes.

Attachments

• PICT1209.JPG
    PICT1209.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 23