• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Here is the car in question

Hoop69Mach1

This is a 289 they are asking for $14k, exterior is in decent shape with some minor issues and interior is in great shape. Motor runs and sounds great, I drove the car and it feels relatively nice. Engine bay needs some work as well. Vin #8R01C152091What do you think?

Attachments

• 1022A.JPG
    1022A.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 11

Mosesatm

From this view, if you want a nice looking car to drive, it looks like a $14K car but what are the exterior issues? Rust, dents, faded paint, bondo?

If you are looking at the car as an investment you may want to make a list of everything you think will need to be replaced, go to Mustangs Unlimited, or John's Mustang, or Mustang Depot, or any one of a dozen other sites and add it all up. You might be surprised at the number you come up with. Most Mustang stuff is fairly cheap (unless you go NOS......like somene we all know) but it adds up fast.

Mosesatm

[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=1;threadid=1890;start=0#msg12453 date=1121286062]
From this view, if you want a nice looking car to drive, it looks like a $14K car but what are the exterior issues? Rust, dents, faded paint, bondo?

If you are looking at the car as an investment you may want to make a list of everything you think will need to be replaced, go to Mustangs Unlimited, or John's Mustang, or Mustang Depot, or any one of a dozen other sites and add it all up. You might be surprised at the number you come up with. Most Mustang stuff is fairly cheap (unless you go NOS......like somene we all know) but it adds up fast.
[/quote]

forgot to add that if you park the GT/CS next to the Vette in a public place more people will flock to the GT/CS. Chevy guys really hate that!

case12

From the one picture, nice car, and in the right price range. I would be tempted to snap it up if you can. The one thing to make sure - does the owner have proof (Marti Report, or Original Invoice) that this is a true California Special? I notice it has GT wheels, a GT valance, but not the GT exhaust - which are add ons to the 289 - so someone has added some items. This is fine, but you just want to make sure it is a real CS. (Also, someone may find it in the registry for you - I just dont have mine here at work). Casey

OP
OP
H

Hoop69Mach1

I'm not sure what you mean by diamond shaped, if its the grill holes if you will, then they are the diamond. As far as the fog lights go, I couln't say, but here is a pic

Attachments

• 1027A.JPG
    1027A.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 13

Mustanger

Yes, diamond shaped grill holes. I also had a picture of this car from owner #2 and I matched the lic. no.

I think that you should be able to get this car a little cheaper if you like it enough, and don't mind doing some of the work... I'm just looking out for you :)

OP
OP
H

Hoop69Mach1

Mustanger, I appreciate everyones input and definitely the info I've received here. And definitely would appreciate any additional assistance or recommendations you have.

Mustanger

Apart from the work you already mentioned, for a "more correct" GTCS, the grill will need to be corrected, the side scoop inserts are missing, and maybe the foglights may need changing. I thought there might've been an issue with one of the twist lock hood pins also.

The paint, though it looks nice in pictures, from what I remember, needs a little help, maybe repaint (unless the current owner did some work here).

Just take a close look at everything, note the things you don't like or needs correction, and see if you're okay with your list, and decide if it's worth it. Also, let the seller know and maybe he'll lower the price for you.

Also, check with the Marti Report people on this car's authenticity if you're serious about buying it.

Good Luck :)

Mosesatm

Mustanger is right, the foglights are incorrect, so are the posts. I also think the Mustang script on the back of the deck lid is too far too the left but can't really tell from the angle of the picture. The California Special scripts on the drivers side may also be a little out of whack, but , again I can't tell from the angle of the picture.

The biggest issue is rust, rust, rust. Check the floors, the fronts of the doors, and the rear wheel arches. Be sure to use a magnet, too.

Another thing to consider is if it needs to be repainted in the future. If it has already been repainted once then putting a third paint job on is extremely risky so the whole car will need to be stripped before painting.

68gt390

On top of all the usual places to check for rust, I'd recommend pulling the back seat bottom out and checking the floor pans - That's were I ran into issues with my car just a few weeks ago. Had to replace 2 floor pans due to surface rust that was left untreated. Also, pull the carpet up on the drivers side front and check for rust around the dimmer switch. I had to replace this pan also. Since this side of the car gets most of the in and out traffic (wet shoes) water seems to soak through the carpet more so on this side. If car has been undercoated I would double check the torque box on both sides of the car. I found issues on mine on the drivers side also (replaced that as well) scrapped away a lot of the undercoating and found a lot of crap up on the top part just under were the fuel line goes through the left torque box. Good luck.

Don ;)

Mustanger

[quote author=Hoop69Mach1 link=board=1;threadid=1890;start=0#msg12473 date=1121299634]
Now I'm not so sure about the car. ???

Hmmmm.
[/quote]

Any new developments or progress?? Just curious, ... I'm wondering if I'll see this car again at the Pomona Swap Meet/Car Show this Sunday. :)

Mustanger

Well, I was at the Pomona Swap Meet

http://www.pomonaswapmeet.com/

early Sunday morning (before going to church with the family) and I didn't see the blue CS there ... though I could've missed it.

Did it sell, ... did you end up buying it, Hoop69Mach1??

Just curious 8) .

Mustanger

[quote author=Mustanger link=board=1;threadid=1890;start=0#msg12468 date=1121294802]
Yes, diamond shaped grill holes. I also had a picture of this car from owner #2 and I matched the lic. no.

I think that you should be able to get this car a little cheaper if you like it enough, and don't mind doing some of the work... I'm just looking out for you :)
[/quote]

I'm attaching the pic I have of this CS. You can see that the license no.'s are a match (it might be small to see because of the pic compression, but it's the same) 8) .

Attachments

• 1968_GTCS_after_002.jpg
    1968_GTCS_after_002.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 13
P

PNewitt

I agree--the Calif Special script and the Mustang script on the decklid looks like it's not positioned right. The decklid is sitting a little too perfect (usually there is about a 1/4 inch misalignment between the bottom of the decklid and the end cap bottoms when the decklid is closed).

I think you should get a Marti report--or call Kevin with the VIN to confirm/deny?

Paul.

OP
OP
H

Hoop69Mach1

Sorry for the late reply. I was out of town. Anyhow, they did have a Marti report and I verified the vin to the door. The plates match the vin as well. I should be picking the up car this Thur. I was able to talk them down a couple grand too.