• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Distributor and exhaust

x-codegtcs

OK - Getting closer to the end of my rebuild...a couple of questions foe the experienced folk for the j-Code:

1) Do any of the mustang catalog companies offer a dual exhaust package worth buying or should I go to a local shop. My concern with a local shop is their lack of Mustang knowledge and possibly cost - concern with kits are fit and maybe cost?!?!

2) What is the best cost/performance distributor option? (I know cost/performance is an oxymoron - just humor me...8-D)

Both questions above are in the light of doing something close to stock/concours, but not costly concours...so if you could include an "estimated" or "experienced" cost for your option/opinion, that would be very VERY helpful!!!

All opinions welcomed and wanted...even if it is "you are an idiot for asking this question" (because that part is true) Thanks!!!

Bryce

Last edited:

CougarCJ

I would use the original Autolite distributor, get it professionally rebuilt, and install Pertronix II.

For the exhaust there are three non-header choices.
  1. 289/302 log style stock exhaust manifolds.
  2. 289 HiPo exhaust manifolds.
  3. 351W exhaust manifolds.

To my knowledge, plug and play dual exhaust kits are only for the stock 289/302 log manifolds and the HiPo exhaust manifolds.
The problem with most replica exhaust kits, is they use two chamber mufflers (as far as I know :undecided ).

I would buy the reproduction "H" pipe and have the rest made (2 inch) with a muffler that you can live with. That is what I am going to do. My mufflers will be 3 chamber turbo's from Dynomax.

Last edited:

teamlo

I used the NPD factory style system on my J-code GT (H-pipe, resonators, transverse muffler and tailpipes). I didn't install it, but I believe the person that did had pretty good luck with the fit. I have since switched to Doug's Tri-Y ceramic coated headers, retaining the rest of the system as mentioned above, having to just modify the H-pipe. Sounds great and looks nice as well. If you want to do it really right, the Scott Fuller system is the way to go.

Terry

teamlo

Terry - do you remember the approx cost when you did your exhaust?

I want to say like $300-350 when I did it a few years ago. I'd have to look at the NPD catalog to price everything out. I did new hangers and everything too, so it may have been a little more.

In terms of the distributor, I was using the factory Autolite unit with a Pertronix I and reproduction stock type wires. I went through 2 Pertronix units before finally switching to the MSD 8352 "Ready To Run" distributor, MSD Blaster 3 coil and Moroso black 8.5 mm Ultra 40 wires. It's a great addition. Doesn't look stock, but it runs a whole lot better. I went with the black MSD cap instead of the red, so it doesn't stand out as much visually.

Terry

Last edited:

green56

Distributor & Exhaust

on my 289 I am going with h pipe and muffler Flowmaster 50 with 2 chambers the mufflers cost $ 102 each and the h pipe for around $75 that was from mustang unlimited Tom From WI

dalorzo_f

+1 on the NPD setups for a stock look and function. Fit very well, good quality, used 3, and a very reasonable price.

For the distributor Tim O'Connor does real nice work for a fair price. Come back looking pretty much new and recurved to factory specs (or whatever you specify).

www.428cobrajetcars.com